🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

When there are ample transport links and space and not in the busiest part of the city

I think that’s the point of the conversation :wink: we are supposed to be more intelligent by now to know how to plan new projects…

The rub being that ample transport links tend to be in busy parts of cities…

I think that’s the point of the conversation :wink: we are supposed to be more intelligent by now to know how to plan new projects…
[/quote]

But… where would that be that you can put a 40k stadium that’s convenient but doesn’t affect the area? I guess if you’re Qatar that has open space AND a billion dollar for infrastructure it’s maybe doable (but I doubt even that won’t be a shit show)

Are there any mayoral candidates who propose something else or want to punish Farglory?

The DPP’s Chen Shi-zhong.

2 Likes

Meanwhile . . . good thing they cut down those trees for another shopping mall—just what the neighbourhood needs!

Guy

What’s his plan for the dome and for Farglory?

But… where would that be that you can put a 40k stadium that’s convenient but doesn’t affect the area? I guess if you’re Qatar that has open space AND a billion dollar for infrastructure it’s maybe doable (but I doubt even that won’t be a shit show)
[/quote]

Doing such things is why we should have planning. putting new mega projects in cramped old cities is going to be problematic. sometimes redesigns areneeded more than just the jenga system we opt for then regret when a disaster happens. no one said fixing problems and doing things right would be easy or cheap.

From the article:

how to make the new mall different from Sogo’s existing department stores on nearby Zhongxiao East Road and from the new Far Eastern Department Store in Zhubei

Ya don’t. How different can a 百貨公司 be from the other 200 that aren’t needed? In three years in Taiwan, I’ve never bought a single thing from a shopping mall.

3 Likes

They’re all shuttering down where I live.

This mall near my house is now an Amazon logistics center.

Malls are landlords, not retailers. as such, they do quite well for themselves. That’s why they keep building them. When renting starts to suck, they are, at heart, real estate entities. they ain’t making money selling overpriced slave made trinkets and french fries. that’s their customers’ problem.

Former Taipei Urban Planning Director, Lin Zhou-ming explains his position

American expert points out: This is not a usable baseball field! Shinzu baseball stadium a billion-dollar waste?

There’s a good English description of the Hsinchu baseball stadium debacle in this YouTube video at 9:12.

Rebuilt in 2019. Played like one game before a major player was injured and then stop playing games in the stadium. US$40M.

Standard substandard Taiwan Construction practices.

1 Like

An interior shot of the dome has been revealed, and while most people seem to be fixated on how small the jumbotron is, I’m more concerned about former mayor Ke Wenje’s choice of color for the stadium walls and seating. I mean, I know he is very proud of his MD background and uses the color white as his own political symbol, but baseball is a tiny white ball, and that’s why baseball stadiums around the world choose a darker blue, red, green, or whatever color for their seating, walls, and padding.

Having white walls, white seats and a white roof on top of all that, is going to be very difficult for the players to track a tiny white ball moving at very high speeds.

3 Likes

None of the decision makers thought about that, I am sure.

I think it would be cool if Taiwan could have a J League soccer team to play in that stadium. Easily could fill out 40,000 a week

I would have put it next to Taipei Main station in one of the plazas or space around there.

You wanna bet they’ll introduce a black ball?

I wonder if it would fit. It would barely fit length wise, but only when at least half of the pitch is in the infield, which gets very narrow towards home plate. They would need 80yards for the width of the field.