šŸŸ Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

Sports is not enough promoted in Taiwan because kids donā€™t have time to play sports after school ā€¦ buxiban, piano, class, violin class, English ā€¦ no off-time, not even in the weekend ā€¦ and when they have off-time they rather watch Japanese cartoons, sleep. sit at home playing thumb games (video games), and itā€™s accepted as a sport.

And if there are professional teams, as soon as it starts the triads come in and ruin it by illegal gambling.

Instead of professional basketball as it is they should start a 3x3 competition ā€¦ only a half court needed and you can play it at most places, even have ā€˜portableā€™ courts, moving around the island.

(American) Football and soccer will never be as popular as anywhere else.
How many local baseball teams play competitive? A handfull ā€¦ not really a competition!

I recommend kicking a puck made out of aluminium on hard concrete floor the size of a school hall wayā€¦ thatā€™s what I did for sports anywayā€¦

pucks were made out of skillfully flattened soft drink cans ready to be recycledā€¦ really fun, do it right and the puck flies through the air like a Frisbee. rules similar to air hockey, and is more fun with walls.

Iā€™ve read more articles on this. The civil aviation bureau originally had a issue with Taipei 101 as well, however, since Taipei 101 is slightly to the south east of the runway, they made an exception and adjusted entry flight path to avoid 101 all together.

WTF is the Universade anyway? It sounds like some fake festival ala The Hunger Games.

I think they stole the toilet design from us :slight_smile: Or we from them.

ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/golden- ā€¦ -francisco

Just some international college level sports games. The point is that if they canā€™t comply with regulations at such level, they wonā€™t be able to rise to fulfil professional requirements someday. Wishful thinking, I know, but baby steps, advancement, improvement, learning curves, building on experienceā€¦ all those things are needed to succeed. Alas, so far, it is deja vu all over again.

I want to see a roller derby track built in Taipei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFwf-YtxJI

It would take up a whole lot less space than a baseball stadium.

Thats really the gist of it. This place is a joke.

Wonder about the size of the bribes given and who they went to.

Just some international college level sports games. The point is that if they canā€™t comply with regulations at such level, they wonā€™t be able to rise to fulfil professional requirements someday. Wishful thinking, I know, but baby steps, advancement, improvement, learning curves, building on experienceā€¦ all those things are needed to succeed. Alas, so far, it is deja vu all over again.[/quote]

beats for ā€˜international flower festivalā€™ anyway, even if it is an excuse of an international sporting event.

I had no idea baseball was so popular here. Its tanking bigtime in the US. They should have built an epic water park.

I donā€™t have a problem with publicly funded stadiums but this is ridiculous. Itā€™s about as useful as World Games Stadium in Kaoshiung. There is literally no possible means of repayment in this scheme. Yes, a CPBL team will eventually play there but this is a small second rate league (sorry baseball fans) that doesnā€™t need a 40,000 seat stadium.

The bigger joke is that only 30% of the budget went to the stadium and instead politicians loaded it up with handouts (I mean hotels) for their friends.

28.8billion dollar to develop and build a baseball stadium. Why not spend this money on city infrastructure or something that benefits the people. I remember reading that India planned to build a giant gold statue worth a silly amount of money. Money that could be spent on the people. Do you really need to make a solid gold statue? Why not paint it gold. Who in the world even cares or can tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

To say itā€™s in the decline is probably the result of looking at it from a very narrow angle. If you are judging based on national TV ratings, then yes, compared to the NFL, baseball isnā€™t the most popular sport in the US, but same goes with any other professional sport.

However, if you are talking about revenues and local ratings, MLB is doing better than ever. Over the last 20 years, baseball revenues have grown from roughly $1 billion to nearly $8 billion, according to the NY Times. Many analytics web-sites pointed out baseball has always been a regional sport. It is the way it always have been in the US. Maybe thatā€™s why baseball in international games never generates much interests in the US.

[quote=ā€œAbacusā€]I donā€™t have a problem with publicly funded stadiums but this is ridiculous. Itā€™s about as useful as World Games Stadium in Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong). There is literally no possible means of repayment in this scheme. Yes, a CPBL team will eventually play there but this is a small second rate league (sorry baseball fans) that doesnā€™t need a 40,000 seat stadium.

The bigger joke is that only 30% of the budget went to the stadium and instead politicians loaded it up with handouts (I mean hotels) for their friends.[/quote]

If you build it, they will come.

second rating league is a result of second rate management, stadiums and planning, not a result of a lack of interests.

[quote=ā€œhansiouxā€][quote=ā€œAbacusā€]I donā€™t have a problem with publicly funded stadiums but this is ridiculous. Itā€™s about as useful as World Games Stadium in Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) (Gaoxiong). There is literally no possible means of repayment in this scheme. Yes, a CPBL team will eventually play there but this is a small second rate league (sorry baseball fans) that doesnā€™t need a 40,000 seat stadium.

The bigger joke is that only 30% of the budget went to the stadium and instead politicians loaded it up with handouts (I mean hotels) for their friends.[/quote]

If you build it, they will come.

second rating league is a result of second rate management, stadiums and planning, not a result of a lack of interests.[/quote]

This is a stadium that isnā€™t far off of an MLB budget (varies hugely) with MLB capacities. The CPBL is drawing an average of 6000/game leaving the much smaller current stadium mostly empty. Iā€™m not against building a new baseball stadium but there isnā€™t a use for an MLB-lite stadium here.

Unfortunately Taiwan politicians have used the Field of Dreams quote to make themselves rich. This story repeats itself in every big construction project.

Universidade is the next biggest sporting event after the Olympicsā€¦dont you know???

[quote=ā€œAbacusā€]
This is a stadium that isnā€™t far off of an MLB budget (varies hugely) with MLB capacities. The CPBL is drawing an average of 6000/game leaving the much smaller current stadium mostly empty. Iā€™m not against building a new baseball stadium but there isnā€™t a use for an MLB-lite stadium here.

Unfortunately Taiwan politicians have used the Field of Dreams quote to make themselves rich. This story repeats itself in every big construction project.[/quote]

If you mean the total budget of 28.8 billion NTD ($960 million USD), then yeah, thatā€™s more than the cost of Seatleā€™s Safeco Field, which cost $517.6 million USD then, and would translate to $733 million USD today, after adjusting for inflation.

However, only 8 billion NTD ($266.7 million USD) is being spent on the stadium, and all the rest were used for department stores/hotels/theaters. Still, itā€™s a lot of money. Although taking labor and steel prices into account, the construction should be even cheaper. But instead of a world class stadium like Safeco, which featured a retractable roof, we get a fixed roof stadium that is only fit to play baseball on paper.

Seatle metropolitan area has a population of 3.5 million. Taipei metropolitan area has a population of 7 million. Taipei and Taiwanā€™s baseball have the capability to fill a MLB sized stadium. Whether or not it will happen just depends on if those making decisions has the vision for it.

Not true. Baseball is doing just fine in the U.S.

forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/ ā€¦ be-stupid/

[quote=ā€œhansiouxā€][quote=ā€œAbacusā€]

Unfortunately Taiwan politicians have used the Field of Dreams quote to make themselves rich. This story repeats itself in every big construction project.[/quote]

If you mean the total budget of 28.8 billion NTD ($960 million USD), then yeah, thatā€™s more than the cost of Seatleā€™s Safeco Field, which cost $517.6 million USD then, and would translate to $733 million USD today, after adjusting for inflation.

However, only 8 billion NTD ($266.7 million USD) is being spent on the stadium, and all the rest were used for department stores/hotels/theaters. Still, itā€™s a lot of money. Although taking labor and steel prices into account, the construction should be even cheaper. But instead of a world class stadium like Safeco, which featured a retractable roof, we get a fixed roof stadium that is only fit to play baseball on paper.

Seatle metropolitan area has a population of 3.5 million. Taipei metropolitan area has a population of 7 million. Taipei and Taiwanā€™s baseball have the capability to fill a MLB sized stadium. Whether or not it will happen just depends on if those making decisions has the vision for it.[/quote]

This is just silly. You donā€™t build an MLB-lite stadium (260M is MLB lite) in the hopes that someday you will have a league at a high enough level to actually use it.

Itā€™s also convenient that you pick the 6th most expensive MLB stadium as a comparison. Between 1997 and now 10 stadiums have built for 138M-382M. This costs at least half of a great MLB stadium. Hereā€™s the kicker in the US stadiums are partially built (typically) with private funds (from a team) and have a team committed to playing there. Many times the stadiums require a public vote to approve that level of spending. The build it (for 260M) and they will come approach is absolutely asinine.

And this comes from someone that loves baseball.