Spot -- Taipei Film House

Though it’s on the small side, the auditorium has the most comfortable chairs I’ve ever sat in in a movie theater. Yes, it seems that a locally made movie is always one of the films they are showing. Since it’s only one auditorium, the films are scheduled in at various times of the day. The movie times are scheduled on a monthly basis. You can pick one up at the ticket desk.

I went there last Friday night and was HIGHLY impressed. It’s certainly a new jewel in Taipei’s crown. I love the building, the location is extremely convenient, and the whole atmosphere of the place is redolent of its counterparts in London, Paris and other great Western cities, while remaining distinctively Taiwanese. The setup is excellent, the prices low, the seats extremely comfortable, the sound first class, etc. etc. … and it’s showing a lot of brilliant films that the commercial cinemas normally wouldn’t touch. Everything about it is pleasing, including the gorgeous and smart-looking gals selling tickets. It was far and away the best cinematic experience I’ve had in Taiwan.

[color=olive]Has anyone been to that building. What goes on there? It looks beautiful on a sunny day.[/color]

it had been home to a coffee shop. never went in though! they just fixed it up, don’t know if the coffee shop is still there.

As this thread has been resurrected, let me add a couple more words about SPOT. It has become one of my favourite haunts in Taipei, and I’ve watched some brilliant Taiwanese films there, basking in splendid comfort while doing so. I’m worried, though, that the audiences are always so sparse. They must be losing pots of money on that side of things, which might pose a threat to keeping the place running as it is in the long term.

But at least they seem to be doing good business in the cafeteria. I haven’t tried it myself yet, for the simple reason that the tables have all been full whenever I’ve been minded to do so. I hope they can rake in enough from that to cover whatever losses they incur in operating the cinema. And perhaps the deep-pocketed Morris Chang will continue to render financial assistance – he rose considerably in my estimation when I read about his large donation that made the whole project possible in the first place. That’s a fine example of well directed philanthropy for other local business tycoons to follow.

My one grouse is that the cinema-oriented Eslite store there doesn’t offer much of a selection of Taiwanese films. As the main purpose of the whole thing is, I assume, to spotlight Taiwan’s film industry, it should at least be a place where one can purchase the best of Taiwanese films on DVD or VCD. I’ve bought a few good ones there, but the selection is extremely sparse. Come on, SPOT, push your Eslite tenants to do better on this one! Then you truly will be a magnet for film buffs and a much-needed showcase for Taiwan’s top-notch film-makers.

Wow, SPOT sounds fantastic…but four years too late for me to be able to see it. I always wished there was actually a local venue to see Taiwanese films Aarrggh

I just checked on the SPOT schedule, and they currently show Burning Dreams which looks really interesting. Has anybody seen it? It definitely looks interesting. Anybody in for going, maybe on Sat or Sunday? Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to have English subtitles.

Other movies this month include Ocean Fever, a movie about last year’s annual Gongliau Ho-Hai-Yan Rock Festival held on Fulung Beach and a Japanese movie called “19” by Kazushi Watanabe. According to the website, they both have English subtitles.

HTH
Iris

Since the regular movie starts in the next few week don’t look too promising, I just checked the SPOT schedule for August:

Monrak Transistor, a Thai movie (with English subtitles)
a Danish movie called Reconstruction (no English subtitles)

and later this month obviously a themed collection of movies consisting of
Lost in Translation (for all those who missed it: Go watch it!! :slight_smile:)
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/formula-17-cute-movie/8892/1 17[/url] (see the linked Forumosa thread)
a movie titled “Bad Guy” (could be this?)
Love me if you dare or better known under the original French title “Jeux d’enfants” - I’m definitely in for that one!!!
and something called “Try to remember” (no IMDB entry for this one)

• I can update the links as soon as SPOTS put more info (if I don’t forget :blush: )

:blush: :blush: :blush: Have I mentioned that I’ve yet to watch my first movie at SPOT? :blush: :blush: :blush:

Iris

If your Chinese reading ability is up to par, I strongly recommend this one. Very stylishly shot, in an urban Scandinavian setting that’s “cool” as all get out. (Their subway makes the Taipei MRT look dirty.) The story reminded me of the Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, but altogether a better film.

Better than Eternal Sunshine of a spotless Mind? Wow, I guess that means I have to go and watch it. Thanks for the hint!!!

We watched Reconstruction yesterday, and, yes, it definitely was worth it (though the story is sort of complicated, and English subtitles would have helped).

The story is sort of complicated, so it’s a “like or hate” movie. We liked it.

Thanks again for the hint.

Iris

There is a film festival running at SPOT this month, something about the “rising stars in national cinema”, with lots of different Taiwanese features and some short movies. Pity, I thought they were supposed to show 給我一只貓 Drop me a cat. I’d love to see it again. Can’t find it on the schedule, though.

There is another theme week coming up between September 12 and 19 before they finish off the month with showing Dopo mezzanotte, a movie about a night guard in a movie museum in Turin, a young girl seeking shelter at his place and her boyfriend, a petty thief. Sounds kind of interesting but only has Chinese subtitles…

Enjoy
Iris

On until Oct 15 at SPOT:

Splendid Float - Taiwanese movie about a couple of drag queens. I watched it two weeks ago with a German friend who is a movie director and had met the directors/producers. The music is great, and there are some really nice shots and ideas in the movie. But all in all, the story drags on too slowly and is too repetitive.

Iris

December at SPOT:

Dec, 1-10: Korean Wave film festival - I don’t think English subtitles are available.
Dec, 11-17: 4th Taiwan International Documentary Festival
Dec, 18-31: The new Hou Hsiao-hsien movie Cafe Lumiere, in Japanese, supposedly with Chinese AND English subtitles.

Enjoy!
Iris

[post removed]

i thought the 6th ave cafe upstairs was a nice place to lounge.

Sorry, late for the monthly SPOT schedule. Did anybody catch anything of the Taiwan vs. India movie festival earlier this month at SPOT?

For the rest of the month (starting Friday, 21 Jan.), SPOT has a retrospective of Japanese director Shunji Iwai, showing his movies All about Lily Chou Chou, April Story and Hana and Alice. Movie times here. Alas, no English subtitles :frowning:

Iris

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

April Story was a fantastic film, as was the director’s short Fried Dragon Fish. If you understand Japanese or can read Chinese fast enough, I highly recommend it. Actually shouldnt be too hard. If I remember correctly, there’s not a hell of a lot of dialogue. Actually, I could possibly even try it myself. When’s it on Iris?

Brian

If anyone is interested in the history of the building before it was Spot (American embassy or consulate?) I just came across this article. It was written by George Kerr, who was a naval attach

Sorry, but SPOT is a sorry establishment. Same one or two films played for an entire month. Greater diversity is required. Less of the local film school undergrad amateur dramatics productions; Taipei 21? Give me a break. Some of us used to have access to cutting edge independent cinema, you know, the sort of thing I used to go and see every week down the NFT (if you ask “where’s the NFT?” I know all hope is lost). Asian cinema? It’s had its moments. Let’s have a Shohei Imamura retrospective, with English subtitles please.