Spotify in Taiwan

Free Spotify doesn’t seem to work on my phone right now. Worked fine for last couple years.

I just use free streams anyway like tunein.

I love how free Spotify interrupts your music with house ads for premium Spotify, which directly extort you that you can enjoy uninterrupted music if you pay up.

1 Like

I connected my debit card for monthly payments and had Spotify premium working just fine for a few months, but this past month it just stopped accepting the card and I got booted off premium. There’s enough money in the account so I can’t figure out why. Anyone else experience this issue?

Is it a Taiwanese credit card and a Taiwanese Spotify account?

1 Like

The day I realized I could recite the ads in Italian…was the day I just got it.

1 Like

Currently Spotify offers 3 months for free. You can cancel subscription immediately not to be charged at the end.

1 Like

I find this bloody irritating. I’ve been a Spotify Premium customer for years, it’s the typical ‘let’s make offers to new customers only so it increases subscription count for the investor report’ meanwhile the songs in my playlist are slowly greyed-out as they are made unavailable.

Sadly Spotify still is the best deal, but they could do a lot more in my opinion. Loyalty gets you nowhere this day and age.

So Joe Rogan is moving his podcast to Spotify. The entire catalog moves by Sept 1, 2020, and by Jan 1, 2021, the Rogan podcast will be exclusive to Spotify.

I was one of the first US Spotify customers in the summer of 2011. I left Spotify in December that year because I was frustrated by pages of tracks greyed out (iirc, at the time Spotify didn’t have licensing rights to stream popular tracks from Europe and Asia in the US).

Does anybody know if you can also watch videos on Spotify?

Mr. Rogan, 52 years old, had so far withheld his podcast from Spotify, saying the streaming service doesn’t pay enough and he had been generating significant revenue on other services such as Alphabet Inc.’s YouTube. His full library, dating back 11 years, is to hit the service Sept. 1, and become exclusive to Spotify after that, before the end of the year. His video podcasts, which will also appear on Spotify, will no longer be available on YouTube.

ETA: The answer is Yes, I can watch videos on Spotify. Looks like I will have to make way for Spotify.

Apple Music seems better at the moment, at least they have Black Duck. I’ve made the switch, Spotify has been irritating me for some time.

I use KK Box when I want to pay. But I like old Taiwanese Campus Folk Songs and Karaoke Standards (no, I can’t sing) and find that surprisingly Spotify has more of what I like.
I’m not saying you should do what I will tell you about, but Spotify, KK Box are not your your CD collection whether or not you are a paying customer or not.
I’ve been a paying customer for some of these services for years and find that I sometimes wanted to revisit a favorite Mando Pop album that I had fond memories for only to find half the album “redacted.”

Yeah, I’m not sure why music services do that but I go to the album I want and find that the tracks I actually wanted to listen to there on the playlist but they were greyed out. They could not be clicked on.
To get around this you could use tool called Audials or its equivalent which legally records the song but at twice the playing speed. According to the user agreement, and popular computer magazines it is ok to record songs for your personal use from a broadcast or streaming source. Do so at your own risk.

1 Like

Any suggestions, while we’re at it?

I like this one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m kind of stuck in the past for when my children were young. So, I could use some updating. I came to Taiwan during the days of Ultra Cute YUKI. My first Taiwanese mando song I fell in love with was heard in the Chinese Supermarket and Shopping mall in Edison New Jersey. It was Tarcy Hsu’s lemon tree. I should be teaching now so… I’ll get back to you later. I would like to ask you for some modern suggestions. Ultra cute is what I like.

I personally don’t believe in subscriptions so I wouldn’t pay the 149NT even though I listen to Spotify every day, though if you go that route you can do the family plan at 268 NT for 6 people, share the price between friends, and that’s about 45NT per person per month. Spotify gives cheaper rates in Taiwan than in the US/Canada and I haven’t noticed any difference in song selection.

I grabbed a Crypto.com credit card and they give free spotify, netflix, amazon prime, and you get 14% staking rates (8% for regular USDC/tether). Not to shill Crypto.com but they’re doing a good job trying to appeal to mainstream consumers.

I miss Pandora back in the US because they had some good AI learning that learns what kind of songs you like and suggests new ones. With Spotify I have to pick the channels / create a song list myself. I haven’t found something like Pandora outside the US yet.

Any idea how I can transfer my US-based premium family Spotify account to Taiwan for the savings (if there are any)? Should I simply change the address and payment info? Or is there s more comprehensive procedure?

AFAIK you can’t transfer, but you can easily make a new account, even with the same payment method as the old.

However, if you don’t mind building your own collection, Plex Media Server with PlexAmp is much better unless you are relying on the Plex Alexa skill, which is utter garbage.

1 Like

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of it before. What makes Plex so great?

You can stream native quality flac to your devices, you own your library and PlexAmp is an amazing player. You do need PlexPass to use it though, but the price is the same as Spotify and lifetime passes are available at discounts often.

2 Likes

Youtube Music Premium freagin love it. Taiwan or wherever I go.

How do you run your plex server? Through your pc or some kind of NAS?

Yes