Spouse dependent question

Can a spouse ARC holder find work in Taiwan with no formal higher education? I work in a buxiban and my spouse has no higher education, we are both American.

I think I know the answer but I have a hard time navigating the legal rules surrounding this.

AFAIK your dependant spouse will only have open work rights if you are a Taiwanese national with household registration. If you are a US passport holder, and your wife doesn’t have an APRC, then she would need a separate work permit to work, and that would require a bachelor’s degree in most cases such as working in a buxiban. It would be possible for her to get a work permit for certain jobs such as a chef, if she can demonstrate experience in that field. This is how Indian restaurants are able to legally employ chefs from India. She could also get part time open work rights from her second year of studying for a degree, which sounds like a good path for her if she plans to stay/work in Taiwan.

2 Likes

legal rules are here.

Spouses of Foreign Professionals Taking partly-hours Specialized or Technical Works
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=88A58793EA5CB0F6

As already posted, the answer is almost no, unless the spouse has a more than 5 year experience in certain kinds of technical jobs.

iirc, degree students can work from the first year. Language students should wait till the second year.

1 Like

Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I have all my bases covered in what they can and can’t do here since it varies a little everywhere.

Much appreciated! Things are slightly different everywhere and I could only find the laws in Mandarin so I wasn’t sure on how things were interpreted. Thank you!