Spouse didn't finish degree, legal to teach?

Hi - First time poster.

I’m in Taiwan as the spouse of a Taiwan national and therefore have a spouse visa. I’m English and don’t really need to work (though the current value of the pound is a bit of a problem) but am wondering about trying it out (possibly a few hours a week). The only jobs available to me here would seem to be English teaching jobs but I don’t have any teaching qualifications and didn’t finish my degree. I’ve heard various contrary opinions as to whether I would be able to work in English teacher in my situation. Would it be legal (as I have a spouse visa) or illegal? Would it matter? Everything seems incredibly vague. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks

You’re OK for buxiban (cram school). Not OK for kindy although nothing will happen. Anything else you’ll need a qualification, so you wouldn’t get the job.

1 Like

What’s the difference between a cram school and a regular school that you need a degree for? I thought everyone needed a degree to teach anything here?

They do if they want to be sponsored by their employer. If they can be sponsored in other ways, such as by a Taiwanese spouse, then they can bypass the requirement of a degree. This generally only applies in cram schools.

Cram schools are places where people study things additional to regular education.

1 Like

Well I never, learn a new thing every day.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies - I think that’s cleared that up. A follow up then - What is the best way to look for specifically Cram School jobs. Again - I find this a bit vague. Is there somewhere you can post your details and availablity that Cram Schools will look at? Also is there any mileage in Private Tutoring - I asume you wouldn’t need qualifications for that.

Thanks

I don’t think teaching English part-time is the only job available, but it’s definitely one to pass the time while you think of something else you could do .