Spring is in the air. Time to dust off the Glock

So the grass is breaking, flowers are blooming and the trees are greening (is that even a word??) and the “gang bangers” (actually I don’t even have a proper word for these people since the gangs are so fluid here) in Chicago are springing forth from winter’s thaw. All those beefs that went dead because it’s too cold to be on the streets between the months of Nov to late February are now being finished. Last Thursday, in the span of two hours 16 people were shot. Before that, I believe it was 40 in a weekend. This recent shoot out was so bold, it was caught on tape. Ah, and the first strike at Cubs’ stadium hasn’t even been thrown…

With so much violence happening in such short and intense bursts, I’m wondering if I should move to the Middle East. Or get a gun. Currently, Chicago awaits for the SPOUS to rule on its gun ban. I say this is one time I’m gonna love Thomas if they rule it’s illegal.

What say you-- if you lived in such a city that is working with less police power, and seemingly little impact on the gang warfare, would you get a gun? Is it the real way to solve this problem? Or should a broke state like Illinois find some coffers to rob and throw money at the problem?

[quote=“Namahottie”]So the grass is breaking, flowers are blooming and the trees are greening (is that even a word??) and the “gang bangers” (actually I don’t even have a proper word for these people since the gangs are so fluid here) in Chicago are springing forth from winter’s thaw. All those beefs that went dead because it’s too cold to be on the streets between the months of Nov to late February are now being finished. Last Thursday, in the span of two hours 16 people were shot. Before that, I believe it was 40 in a weekend. This recent shoot out was so bold, it was caught on tape. Ah, and the first strike at Cubs’ stadium hasn’t even been thrown…

With so much violence happening in such short and intense bursts, I’m wondering if I should move to the Middle East. Or get a gun. Currently, Chicago awaits for the SPOUS to rule on its gun ban. I say this is one time I’m gonna love Thomas if they rule it’s illegal.

What say you-- if you lived in such a city that is working with less police power, and seemingly little impact on the gang warfare, would you get a gun? Is it the real way to solve this problem? Or should a broke state like Illinois find some coffers to rob and throw money at the problem?[/quote]

you reminded me of what my Dad said in the 80’s about Brixton. “oh the rioting will start again soon now the long summer days are here”

I just LOVE your thread title!

Spring and summer always means the end of many too long idle young men. It’s always been that way. It’s more awful in cities where the young men take out other innocent people along the way to killing eachother.

[quote=“housecat”]I just LOVE your thread title!

Spring and summer always means the end of many too long idle young men. It’s always been that way. It’s more awful in cities where the young men take out other innocent people along the way to killing eachother.[/quote]

Thanks!..But why are these men too idle? Because of poverty? Lack of supervision as a child? Lack of guidance as a child? Little education? Or too easy access to guns? Or low employment rates? Either way, with the weather warming up, lack of state funds to support a local group that does gang interventions, and a high unemployment rate, I say summer is gonna be a shoot out.

But if the SCOUS rules the gun ban is a violation, then will this reduce numbers of shoot outs?

I was always for gun controle, having heard many accounts children accidentally killing each other or themselves with a parent’s guns. (And there is LOTS of private gun ownership in these parts.) Then, in university, I was persuaded by a professors lecture that the right to bear arms and form militas was an integral part of our constitutional freedom in the US, and still relevant today. I can’t argue as elloquently as he did, but he did change my mind.

However, there’s no constitutional right (that I know of) to form GANGS, and most gangs come by their firepower illegally. Will a gun ban for law abiding citizens change that? No. Will arming every innocent citizen result in less gang violence? I can’t see that happening, either. Rather, I think there will be more of the type of accidental deaths I spoke of at first.

Maybe the thing to do is issue bullet proof vests to lawful citizens? Ha.

I was always for gun controle, having heard many accounts children accidentally killing each other or themselves with a parent’s guns. (And there is LOTS of private gun ownership in these parts.) Then, in university, I was persuaded by a professors lecture that the right to bear arms and form militas was an integral part of our constitutional freedom in the US, and still relevant today. I can’t argue as elloquently as he did, but he did change my mind.

However, there’s no constitutional right (that I know of) to form GANGS, and most gangs come by their firepower illegally. Will a gun ban for law abiding citizens change that? No. Will arming every innocent citizen result in less gang violence? I can’t see that happening, either. Rather, I think there will be more of the type of accidental deaths I spoke of at first.

Maybe the thing to do is issue bullet proof vests to lawful citizens? Ha.[/quote]
yah remember the golden rule “always go for a head shot when someone breaks down your door” lol

My son has a glockenspiel. It’s in the closet and it’s pretty dusty.

Do you know who shot you?

[i]

Robert Tate wasn’t ever going to snitch – not even when it came to his own murder, according to the Chicago Police.

Tate, 17, was shot in the chest as someone approached him on a West Side sidewalk on the evening of April 12, police say. Seeing that Tate was wounded badly and probably wouldn’t make it, an officer asked: Do you know who shot you?

“I know,” Tate told him. “But I ain’t telling you s—.”[/i] :loco:

What a godawful SHITHOLE! :astonished:

[quote=“Namahottie”]
What say you-- if you lived in such a city that is working with less police power, and seemingly little impact on the gang warfare, would you get a gun? Is it the real way to solve this problem? Or should a broke state like Illinois find some coffers to rob and throw money at the problem?[/quote]

1. Move. There are other places to live.
  2. Arm yourself. Ain’t no jiu-jitsu that can win a gun fight nor a gun that can lose at Jiu-jitsu.
  3. Are you going to carry or arm your home? If you’re going to carry you can see the thread on handguns the French guy in the Philipines started.

If you are arming your house call a licensed gun dealer and ask about types of shotguns they have and what would be suitable for you.
Ask about load size, cost of ammo, maintenance, rifle bag, and a range to fire it at. Go see the models, stay away from chrome-plated crappola that muggers and shopkeepers use to scare people with, you want a firearm to kill with if you point it at someone not- a flash gun to intimidate people with.

Shoot the rifle/handgun on a range or at your Uncle Chet’s farm if he’s cool with local law enforcement. . Buy a box of ammo, get over the shock of how expensive it is, then shoot the whole box until your trigger finger is blistered and your nose hairs stink of gun smoke.
(Be sure to take a shower after shooting!) But another box of ammo, store the weapon and the ammo in seperate but readily available places.
Go shooting at least once a year.

And how come every single person in that video is so freakin’ FAT? :astonished:

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”][quote=“Namahottie”]

1. Move. There are other places to live.
  2. Arm yourself. Ain’t no jiu-jitsu that can win a gun fight nor a gun that can lose at Jiu-jitsu.
  3. Are you going to carry or arm your home? If you’re going to carry you can see the thread on handguns the French guy in the Philipines started.

If you are arming your house call a licensed gun dealer and ask about types of shotguns they have and what would be suitable for you.
Ask about load size, cost of ammo, maintenance, rifle bag, and a range to fire it at. Go see the models, stay away from chrome-plated crappola that muggers and shopkeepers use to scare people with, you want a firearm to kill with if you point it at someone not- a flash gun to intimidate people with.

Shoot the rifle/handgun on a range or at your Uncle Chet’s farm if he’s cool with local law enforcement. . Buy a box of ammo, get over the shock of how expensive it is, then shoot the whole box until your trigger finger is blistered and your nose hairs stink of gun smoke.
(Be sure to take a shower after shooting!) But another box of ammo, store the weapon and the ammo in separate but readily available places.
Go shooting at least once a year.[/quote]

1. No problem with moving. But the airlines, future landlords, etc like to have $$$ when I use their services to do so. :laughing:
  2. Can’t arm myself. Having a gun in Chicago is illegal right now. Oh the irony of it.
  3. If I were able to get a gun, I wouldn’t. I am being to see people’s argument for but for me I haven’t been able to make that argument good for my own personal sake. I’m not ready to be responsible for taking a life.

Besides a lot of these killings aren’t home invasions but rather at the street level. Unorganized gang members fighting over corners and stupid shit. The funny part of the argument made for undoing the gun ban is to have permits to carry concealed weapons. But the irony in that is that many of the people who are making that argument don’t even live in the areas or areas that would be affected by it.

What video are you talking about? There’s no video on that page, that I saw…

Whats even weirder is that recently round these parts (bay area) there are some people walking around with a gun in a belt. Apparently its ok to carry one as long as its out in the open and its not loaded and its still illegal to point the gun at someone.

Now i just think that makes you a target. YOu have a gun for show, cant have it loaded and cant point it at someone. What a joke.

And the police have said that they dont know if its loaded or not, so they will assume it IS loaded if they need to confront you.

If I do that, i would want to make sure that there is at least one round that i “forgot” was still in there.

[quote=“tommy525”]Whats even weirder is that recently round these parts (bay area) there are some people walking around with a gun in a belt. Apparently its ok to carry one as long as its out in the open and its not loaded and its still illegal to point the gun at someone.

Now i just think that makes you a target. YOu have a gun for show, cant have it loaded and cant point it at someone. What a joke.

And the police have said that they dont know if its loaded or not, so they will assume it IS loaded if they need to confront you.

If I do that, i would want to make sure that there is at least one round that i “forgot” was still in there.[/quote]

Bay Area Open Carry

I think you’re wrong about making yourself a target Tommy. If I was a criminal, I’d go for someone who doesn’t have a weapon on their hip. Go for the “low hanging fruit” rather than taking a gamble on whether or not you can get the drop on someone with a gun on their waist. That and stay away from crazy white guys on the MUNI. :wink:

Now while you can’t go around with rounds in the magazine, the law doesn’t say you can’t have a separate magazine with live rounds on your hip. It doesn’t take very long to insert a new magazine into a pistol. You’d have trouble loading a revolver, but inserting a fresh magazine is easy.

Leaving a round in the chamber is a surefire way to get yourself in a shitload of trouble. It isn’t worth it when you can eject a magazine and insert a new one quickly. The police should have better things to do than hassling someone who has a weapon holstered on their hip and isn’t doing anything suspicious. Go round up some crack dealers in Oakland and stop threatening to shoot people who are legally exercising their open carry rights.

The other day two 18 year old oaklanders just decided to punch up a guy out walking around with his dad. The dad got knocked to the ground and just died. The guys were caught and are up for manslaughter (which means they will be out in a few).

Its getting so I think all the good guys should be armed too. Back to the wild wild west?

They’re Americans. :frowning:

[quote=“tommy525”]The other day two 18 year old oaklanders just decided to punch up a guy out walking around with his dad. The dad got knocked to the ground and just died. The guys were caught and are up for manslaughter (which means they will be out in a few).

Its getting so I think all the good guys should be armed too. Back to the wild wild west?[/quote]

The bans on legal ownership of firearms that politicians love so much only affect law abiding citizens because they are worried about the legal consequences of breaking the law. Criminals don’t care because they derive their living by breaking the law. They will find a way purchase firearms whether or not they are legal to own/carry/possess.

Bans on gun ownership only end up making John Q. Public a target because the criminals have guns and you don’t, unless you’re willing to risk jail time to own a weapon to protect yourself. You can’t rely on the police to get there in time when it counts.

What video are you talking about? There’s no video on that page, that I saw…[/quote]
Erm. You linked to a video (caught on tape) of some very fat men getting shot at and some very fat women running away, dear.

What video are you talking about? There’s no video on that page, that I saw…[/quote]
Erm. You linked to a video (caught on tape) of some very fat men getting shot at and some very fat women running away, dear.[/quote]

I checked the link, that doesn’t show up… :ohreally: