Spring Scream 2005

But tell me that those girls (or any that even look close to that) are going to be there. They cut/paste that crap from bikiniparty.com and fill all the dummies’ heads full of images that that’s what It’ll be like. I’ve been to the beach party because I was able to hop the fence for free and I still felt ripped off.

If you’re looking for stupid people, go to the beach party. If you’re looking for long-hair drunks… go to spring scream, there’ll be chicken feet and drugs at all of them unfortunately.

I don’t expect to be dazzled by the music content at Spring Scream but I do plan on having a good time watching my film in the film festival there… hehehe.

Watch out for the “Beats Bus” and buy some shirts and CDs from me. If you tell me you saw me on forumosa.com I’ll give you a better deal.

Talking of such things, how is the security at Spring Scream? Advance tickets are 1600, but is it a huge area? Easy to infiltrate? Or is there alot of security there? I always hate paying money up front for these festivals and then arriving and watching other people stream in free.

Walked right thru the front gate once. Just pretended like I owned the place. My friend Mike on the other hand, got busted right behind me… lol

Are there lots of gates/checkpoints? Trees or wooded area by the perimeter? I’ve never been there.

Now that’s a thread we could all use… Someone should make a new thread “how to get into the parties for free”!

I heard there was a fence along the side of SS that people were climbing though, but I don’t have any idea wher it is.

Good luck.

So here are some of the bands I really want to see in order of reallywanttoseeness…

1. Chairman
  2. D.G.S
  3. Infernal Chaos

And then, all the punkish ones, like Fall of this Corner, Fire E.X., Hotpink.
Does anybody have any other suggestions of bands I have to see? I particularly like visual bands, so I guess I’ll check out anthelion and Bubblelovele. Aside from that I’m clueless. Intel please!

Mimi Chan are pretty visual. Also one of the best-sounding bands I’ve heard there.

:smiley: Dammit man, are you planning an invasion? :smiley: :smiley:

And I absolutely just LURV your avatar, farking hilarious! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

BUT on a more serious point, if you plan to drive down there (I went both ways in the last week), take the Second Freeway (marked with a 3 in a white five-petalled flower on maps and road signs). It’s three lanes wide, open road, hardly any trucks. The Sun Yat-sen freeway (marked with a 1 in a white five-petalled flower on maps and road signs) has road works going on: two lanes, truck central, hideous conditions, especially at night. On the 3-flower-thingie freeway, you can breathe.

It’s still not showing on the Springscream website’s band schedule yet, but The Incriminators are playing at 11am on Saturday on Stage #4.

Thanks banshette :slight_smile: If I end up going I think I’ll take one of the Spring Scream busses.

I would highly reccommend Seven Star Rockers - a punk and roll band from Japan. I saw them at the Wall on Wednesday night and they kicked some serious clam. Also, JAMS, another Japanese punk/ska band who played last year are playing on Monday. Don’t forget Dynamite Club - Saturday night at 9 PM. And…er…Deported - Sunday 3 PM, stage 4 :frowning: Cheeahz!

Yes, I’ll probably swing by Deported’s gig. Any cool costumes planned? Have fun and thanks for the band info.

I’m going to Kenting…

After they clean up from Spring Scream.

Easiest way to ruin a quiet beach town is to throw an obnoxious pseudo-music festival there and fill it full of loud, drunken revelers.

It has always pissed me off that the only time I get a week off in the spring is always the same week as Spring Scream.

Well! This is all very interesting, isn’t it?

I used to do music reviews for a newspaper and I sympathize with the naysayers. Watching bands that do not play well together is like watching paint dry.

Sometimes, though, you can be surprised. But the right frame of mind is a must.

Someone mentioned the bands are all bad and local, or something like that. Not so. I beleive there are 200 bands there and at least 25% are from out of Taiwan.

Not only that, they are all playing for free at the event. So that might be why the bands are “cheering each other on.” And let’s not forget the numerous other audio and visual presentations that are scheduled.

As far as “Raves?” Check out a beach party with retro-house music or some trance and just relax.

We should be glad that we have a spring event as an option. Remember that this festival was initiated by expats, and are probably very hurt right now considering the viscious comments on this board.

Don’t go if you don’t like it. But at last count, 30,000 people had checked in and that is the official count.

Let’s give the boys a hand. :bravo:

I just got back from Kenting, with a vicious sunburn. I originally went there for SS, but decided to just lay on the beach instead. One of the reasons is because it was 1000nt for what? To see indy bands? I went to the front gate and heard some of the stuff and it was truely awful. These guys are charging people 1000nt a day and then not paying any of the bands. Nothing at all. This is an exploitation machine, pure and simple. As the previous poster said, there were 30000 confirmed attenders, and the final number would have been much higher I’m sure. That’s alot of money for someones pockets, but as is usually the case in the music industry, not for the musicians. And don’t even give me “the musicians should be greatful for the exposure” crap.

I should add that I’m not so naive as to think this should be a free event. It’s fine for the bands to be playing for free, but if that’s the case, the organizers shouldn’t be charging anywhere near what they are.

Somebody local is getting a cut.* Otherwise why allow a bunch of drunk kids and crappy bands to invade an otherwise beautiful area?

*This is an uninformed opinion. I have no proof and am only talking out of my rectum. Please don’t hurt me. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Taiwan!

This year was poorly scheduled. I keep missing the SS’s, and they don’t seem worth the trouble to go to.

What’s up with shitty scheduling for music events and foreigner get togehters? Wednesdays and Thursdays and shit?

Weekends are for partying!

Some of us live in real Taiwan (i. e. outside of Taipei) and sure would love to see what’s going on (outside of the Spring Scam, er Scream) in terms of coolness.

What’s with all the band slagging? The music scene is small here, but there are a lot of really passionate people who are really working hard to build it up. Spring Scream certainly has it’s problems, but it’s a pretty inclusive event and really intimate - which means bands of all types get their chance on the stage. Obviously you guys didn’t check out the stage at the right times, or you would have seen some really awesome bands - Seven Star Rockers, Dynasty, Da Gi Shiang, Chicken Rice, LTK, .22, JAMS, BB Bomb - these are all foreign and local musicians who have established themselves as really tight, amazing live bands. You can pan the event for other reasons, but this “all those bands suck” music snob attitude is garbage. It’s not Spring Scream that makes Kenting such a gong show that weekend, it’s all the other parties and the fact that SS weekend has become The Spring Break in Taiwan. I had a really good time, met a lot of really cool people, and rocked out.

No matter how good you may think they are, it’s still entirely a valid opinion for others to say they suck. Me, I havne’t actually seen any of that list bar LTK, and personally I liked LTK and have heard good things about Chicken Rice, but just because you like them doesn’t mean everyone else has to. It’s not snobbery, it’s personal taste.