Spring Scream Festival

This is my first time to attend Spring Scream Festival… Any suggestion on accomodation, places to visit or things to do? Is there a special tour being arranged from Taipei to Kenting? Would appreciate for any helpful info… thanks…

Good question.

Where are the best crazyness spots to:

• Camp or stay
  • Watch the festival
  • Hang out
  • Eat

If the weather is nice, then the beaches there are good.
Drink loads of booze, there are usually some crazy deals going. We stopped at a place that had some kind of beer drinking promotion, drink one, get another one for free, but for some reason the first beer was free too… :eh:
Eat loads of food, there are some really tasty treats down there and there’s a great Thai restaurant down there, but I’ll be damned if I can remember where it was :smiley:
Just be aware that it’s not just one festival, there are a bunch of them.
We had tickets to a place we couldn’t even find and we couldn’t get into the one closest to our hotel.
We stayed in a really nice little place though, it was made up of little bungalow type houses that sleep four people and as we went with another couple it was perfect. Again, this was two years ago, so not sure where it was, but somewhere along the main road, close to a 7-11 at an intersection… :ponder:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]somewhere along the main road, close to a 7-11 at an intersection… :ponder:[/quote]Road … 7-11 … Ok, got it :stuck_out_tongue:

Multiple festivals?? So it’s not just the tix available @ springscream.com ??

I sent them a note yesterday asking about camping permits (still nothing posted online, but prices are supposed to go up next week!) and hotel info, but haven’t heard anything yet.

Any advice for those traveling sans scooter? Didn’t see any cabs or buses last time I was there except the big touring kind & it seemed like it’d be a pain in the ass to have to walk everywhere w/o scooters (but also seems like you don’t really have a choice).

There are buses to Kenting from the High Speed rail station and the train station.

In recent years there have been up to 10 events at different places spread around the Hengchun pennisula. There is no central coordination, and as a result people are driving around drunk and high. Transportation is a real problem.

Since you are new to Spring Scream, I recommend that you buy your tickets and reserve a camping spot at the ‘real’ Spring Scream. springscream.com. The camping permits appear to be NT$750.

Spring Scream looks like it will be at the Lighthouse at Eluanbi a few kilometers out of Kenting town. This is a beautiful spot. Go there and stay there. The key to having a good time in Kenting is staying out of Kenting town, which is a horrid little strip of stores and overpriced restaurants and bars. During Spring Festival it will be packed with tens of thousands of people at night looking to party but not knowing where to go.

If you must go to Kenting (ATM?), the ‘Thai’ restaurant is Warung Didi. The food is pretty good, and unusually for Taiwan, fairly spicy. Nearby is the Lujiao lounge bar and hostel ($$$). The strip of hotels, bars and restaurants facing the beach north of town with the Third Nuclear Power plant is probably more happening.

If you do make the sensible decision and stay at Eluanbi, you may want to go check out one of the late night to early morning ‘events’ in the area on night. Take a cab. Keep in mind that dozens of people get arrested and piss-tested each year in Kenting. Exercise discretion.

The best parts of Kenting are away from the crowds further north on east side of the Hengchun pennisula. Hengchun town, which is a walled city, is a typical funky southern Taiwanese town now made famous by the move Cape No. 7. Get a copy here if you haven’t seen it.

"Drink loads of booze, there are usually some crazy deals going. We stopped at a place that had some kind of beer drinking promotion, drink one, get another one for free, but for some reason the first beer was free too… "

Sometimes you simply go with the flow and dont ask any questions !!! Someone may have done a “whoops” :laughing: Or maybe they were not allowed to pass out free booze. So they say buy one get one free, but forget to charge for the first one? Or you did say drink one and get another one for free ,and not buy one get one free . or…NEvermind, just drink the bloody stuff.

Iv never been to Spring Scream , but I heard its quite a hoot. Some crazy stuff happening too. LIke the girl who bungee jumped naked one time ? I suppose you could get lucky if you looked hard enough.

Its probably like Taiwans version of the SPRING BREAK thing in the USA.

Are there are other places to camp around Kenting?

Can you get a camping ticket at the festival for festival ground camping?

xie xie

[quote=“Feiren”]There are buses to Kending from the High Speed rail station and the train station.

In recent years there have been up to 10 events at different places spread around the Hengchun pennisula. There is no central coordination, and as a result people are driving around drunk and high. Transportation is a real problem.

Since you are new to Spring Scream, I recommend that you buy your tickets and reserve a camping spot at the ‘real’ Spring Scream. springscream.com. The camping permits appear to be NT$750.

Spring Scream looks like it will be at the Lighthouse at Eluanbi a few kilometers out of Kending town. This is a beautiful spot. Go there and stay there. The key to having a good time in Kending is staying out of Kending town, which is a horrid little strip of stores and overpriced restaurants and bars. During Spring Festival it will be packed with tens of thousands of people at night looking to party but not knowing where to go.

If you must go to Kending (ATM?), the ‘Thai’ restaurant is Warung Didi. The food is pretty good, and unusually for Taiwan, fairly spicy. Nearby is the Lujiao lounge bar and hostel ($$$). The strip of hotels, bars and restaurants facing the beach north of town with the Third Nuclear Power plant is probably more happening.

If you do make the sensible decision and stay at Eluanbi, you may want to go check out one of the late night to early morning ‘events’ in the area on night. Take a cab. Keep in mind that dozens of people get arrested and piss-tested each year in Kending. Exercise discretion.

The best parts of Kending are away from the crowds further north on east side of the Hengchun pennisula. Hengchun town, which is a walled city, is a typical funky southern Taiwanese town now made famous by the move Cape No. 7. Get a copy here if you haven’t seen it.[/quote]

Listen very carefully to what this man is saying. I would only add that Spring Scream tends to attract drug sniffing cops like bees to honey. Caution, caution, and caution again. Not that I’m suggesting you might have considered such an illegal prospect.

HG

Are you under 25? If not, you’re going to feel like a crusty old fart down there with all the schoolies away from their mummies and daddies for the first time.

Was up to my S.O.'s family house in Taiepei County the other day. Since they have a business with a drive-in garage, many of the local cops and several of her cop family members like to drive into the garage and hide out to drink tea and BS a couple of hours away. While we were having tea? the Spring Fling came up. They told me that there is going to be an extra ordinary number of Constables On Patrol (read COPS) assigned to the duty with orders that they are to be VERY diligent in their duties, i.e., 1. Drugs, 2. DWI, and 3. Nudity. At least nudity was number 3. Please be careful.

I was planning to go not to the spring scream, but to another concert nearby with Wu Yue Tian and Wu bai singing…in the end after an hour of discussion with my SO decided not to even go to Kenting…

1. HSR is fully booked from Saturday afternoon and return to the North is only available after 6pm on Sunday, even the business class seats are full! (kidzs these days are loaded)

2. Even if we managed to leave earlier and return late on Sunday, there is an issue of transport from Kaoshiung
    i) Rent a car from car plus, maybe but the jams getting in and out
    ii) there are buses for 300 bucks (thats if you can even get on one with the crowds expected)
    iii) sharing a cab with total strangers for 400NT for a two hour trip…(not such a good idea if there is a jam and the driver doesnt use the A/C, )

3. Also heard there would be alot of speed demons on the road, high on drugs and booze, even if they are walking by your car they might just hit or break the glass…

4. Finding parking or navigating through the throngs of people and thousands of scooters you can just imagine the mayhem…

5. Sometimes even with tickets in hand you might not get in…even if you do get in, you would be so far back you wouldnt see a thing…

6. Even if I was to drive down from the north to Kenting 4-5hrs…returning on the highway would be madness with the chin ming crowd heading back too…

In the end we settled on the idea of a rented video and staying in with loads of pizzas :smiley:

Narcapalooza 2009. Stick with the piss.

Found the place I stayed in on Google maps, but I have no idea how to get in touch with them.