SQL collation not saving certain characters!

Hi all

This is a really super geeky question to ask, but I figure there must be at least one developer on these forums, and s/he may have some experience in SQL Server collations; specifically Chinese_Taiwan_Stroke_CI_AS. I’m running SQL Server 2008 Express.

I’ve come across two characters (瀞 and 竝) that refuse to be stored, and instead simply display as a ?

At first I thought it might be the ASP.NET frontend that might be causing the issue, but having run an update query using those characters from within SSMS I’ve still not had any luck, so I think that rules that possibility out. All my Taiwanese colleagues can tell me is that they’re ‘special characters’ that aren’t used an awful lot.

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem before?

declare @unicodetext nvarchar(250)
set @unicodetext = N’竝’
select @unicodetext

I am not super geeky, I just love to compare B5 with DS9…

Understandably so, isn’t that just considered good banter for 99% of the global population? Don’t know why anyone would confuse that with super geekiness…

Sci-fi aside, cheers for the answer there!

[quote=“ryanjgillies”]
Understandably so, isn’t that just considered good banter for 99% of the global population? Don’t know why anyone would confuse that with super geekiness…[/quote]

exactly, next stop, is the Avengers better than Serenity?

[quote=“ryanjgillies”]
Sci-fi aside, cheers for the answer there![/quote]

glad I can help.