🧿 Squash

I played very regularly for about 5 years through high school…a few years ago now. Played for the first time a week ago and have got the bug again. I’m looking for an intermediate level partner for a regular game of squash.
The closest courts to me are the ones at the DaAn Sports Center on Xinhai Rd, though I’m more than happy to travel to wherever happens to be most convenient. So if there’s anyone out there who’d like a game I’d love to hear from you.
Paul

Hi,

I play from time to time and would be glad to play with you. I have hurt myself last week but I d be happy to play with you after I recover!

sounds good. Let me know when you recover & I’ll look forward to a game.
paulj209@hotmail.com

I see that as of November 19th, 109 people have read this but I’ve only had 2 replies. Clearly my marketing is off. So, I’m guessing some people might be thinking that my level might make it a waste of their time. Fair enough, but I’m willing to sweeten the deal & mitigate any possible inconvenience…if you beat me I’ll buy you 1/2 dozen beers of your choice. Make that 1/2 dozen of your choice from the 7/11. You don’t even have to share. I am, after-all, looking for a game and not a date. Earning free beer, how bad can it be?
Paul

Hi. I used to play a bit a long time ago, but would be up for a game.

Only thing is don’t have a racket with me. If you have a spare let me know otherwise will see if I can rustle one up.

You can rent a racket for NT$50 at the Da’an Center.

Hi Pungnan,
you can hire racquets at the courts. Contact me on paulj209@hotmail.com and we can organize a game.
cheers

Hi guys - I’m probably in TP by February and will bring the racquet. So your marketing is good. :slight_smile: Cu soon, Seb

Ps: will the beer offer still be active?

Hi Seb,
sounds good see you in Feb. Yes the beer offer is still open as I’m still undefeated - read small sample size - make it a dozen. The fat boy from NZ needs to lose some pounds, so the invitation/challenge is out there to anyone & everyone.
paulj209@hotmail.com

Hi Paul,
I know this post is a little stale, but I’m hoping your still open for a game. I used to play representative level squash overseas before marrying a Taiwanese girl and settling down here. My skills are a little rusty, but if you are free, I’d certainly like to catch up for a game. I’m in Kaohsiung, but travel to Taipei regularly for business. Please let me know if you are interested in a game, so I can bring my gear along with me. (Alternatively, I play with a couple of the Chinese Taipei rep players on a regular basis in Kaohsiung if you ever get to travel down south. You are certainly welcome to join us)
Cheers-Matt

Hi Matt,
firstly my apologies for not getting back to you sooner - for whatever reason I didn’t get a notification this time, and haven’t checked-in in a while. As much as I’d love a game whenever you’re up this way, and I’d definitely make myself available, I have to warn you it would be a waste of your time.
Squash is an awkward sport in terms of explaining levels. I gather here in Taiwan it’s divided into A,B,C,D for tournaments - that said the closest I’ve come to determining my level was one lady telling me I’d be a C, possibly B. I haven’t actually been able to meet anyone who has played seriously to get a real idea.
I’m originally from New Zealand and the way it works there is if someone of average ability started playing 2 or 3x a week, they’d get a grading of F2 within about a year. It then moves up F1, E2 etc up to A1. The differences between the levels is an average E2 would completely thrash an average F2, with the F2 barely winning any points. A1 would be for the guys on the international tour. A2 depending on the strength of the region (There are 10 in NZ) would be probably enough to get you into the representative team. Just. I got up to B2. But then I went off to University and without ever really intending to, slowly but surely stopped playing. Fast-forward 23 years and 30kgs and I’ve started again. I went home at CNY and had a couple of games and found my level against D grade players - read someone who has been playing regularly for approximately 5 years.
My feeling is that if I can get regular games against better competition, get the fitness back I think I could possibly be a C1 in 18 months or so. Translation: even then I’d be at least 2 full levels below you; currently I’m 4.
So…if you still want a game. Fantastic, I’d really appreciate it and would really look forward to it. Though I can’t imagine it’ll be much fun for you, then again there are those beers to collect.
Regards
Paul
paulj209@hotmail.com

Hey Paul,

Check your email account - I’ve sent you an email regarding the times for our game. I’ll bring plenty of double yellows up with me. As for the beers - I don’t think it would be fair for me to claim those. But I’d certainly be up for sharing them.
Cheers,
Matt

Hey Paul,

Just to let you know quickly here in the forums - this Wednesday sounds fine, nice and early. Please go ahead and grab those courts, and I’ll see you on Wednesday when I’m up in Taipei. (PS: I’ll actually be arriving in Taipei on Tuesday night on the off chance you already have some courts arranged then…)
Cheers,
Matt

Hello, is anybody still looking for squash? I’ve just arrived in town, I’m pretty good, a little (lot!!) out of shape but the beef will soon fall off playing in this sauna known as Taiwan. Can play early mornings, evenings and weekends. Cheers, Paul

Hello, well I’m overwhelmed by the number of people replying to this and saying that they want to play = 0 :astonished:

I did get an e-mail from Matt saying that there was going to be a squash tournament in the south somewhere at sometime. Perhaps he’s testing my deductive abilities.

Does anyone know where and when this tournament is? Perhaps some contact or entry details?

Thanks.

Hello,

Does anyone know a squash center/place in Danshui?

Hello

My partner has checked.

No, there are no squash courts in Danshui; you’ll have to come in to town.

Regards

Paul

This post is about nothing. I just wanted to get squash further up the order on the comments page because there should be more people playing squash as it is such a good game both mentally and physically.

Apparently there is a group that meets at 16.00 on a Sunday afternoon at Go Gym on Nanjing East Road.

The word is that they are an unfriendly clicky bunch of twats, but I heard that third party and so you may want to investigate for yourself if you are interested in playing.

A friend whose son plays squash plans to visit Taipei City and asked me about squash courts these days.

I noticed at the top of the thread that the Daan Sports Center has courts. Do all district sports centers have them?

Can anyone recommend squash courts near Dunhua N + Minsheng (near Cheng Gong Memorial Hospital)?

not all district sports centers have them, but the one in Nangang does. if it’s anything like the sports centers in xinyi and da’an, you’ll definitely need to reserve, though.