St Patricks Day 2004

Any recommendations on where to go for St Patricks?

Where is da craic at?

You bloody parochial wanker, you forget that many of us here on this board are not Irish! Why should we be forced to celebrate a foreign holiday? You bleeding Micks think the whole planet revolves around your little island…

:slight_smile: The above post was tongue in cheek. I was taking the piss. Doing a little parody of “Black History Month” thread and some of the comments there.

Seriously, though, I guess anywhere green and where there’s lots of beer will do, won’t it?

Eh? St. Paddy’s day is basically an American thing isn’t it? You certainly don’t see it feted like that in Ireland. Not much green beer or “kiss me I’m Irish hats” in Dublin or Belfast.

Isn’t St. Patrick the dude who went around and ate all the snakes in Ireland?

Eh? St. Paddy’s day is basically an American thing isn’t it? You certainly don’t see it feted like that in Ireland. Not much green beer or “kiss me I’m Irish hats” in Dublin or Belfast.[/quote]
Mod Lang…perhaps now that you’ve shot yourself in the foot with a classic display of your own very American ignorance you understand how ridiculous it can oft appear to those of us outside the “land of the free?”

Besides, the original poster didn’t sanctimoniously enjoin everyone to be sure to remember this most sacred of holidays, so your attempt at sardonic irony zinged about forty-three metres to the left of the target and landed squarely, and impotently, in a stack of hay bales.

Alright, I’m taking the piss. Some of the posters on the black history month thread had an axe waiting to be ground, to be sure, and thus you felt the need to indulge in a little attempt at humour, however inept. We “get” it.

Hey, I’m not Irish either man.

Options in Taipei seem to be Brass Monkey, Shannon, Tavern and Carnagees, any tips?

Eh? St. Paddy’s day is basically an American thing isn’t it? You certainly don’t see it feted like that in Ireland. Not much green beer or “kiss me I’m Irish hats” in Dublin or Belfast.[/quote]

it’s a stupid american holiday celebrated by people who aren’t irish, don’t know what st patrick stood for, or are irish-descendants who have little or no concept of ireland (a la it’s cool to support the IRA, but conveniently they don’t have to bear the daily fighting, and civilian casualties relatively safe in their american homes).

And they drink green beer.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Paddy’s Day is a stupid holiday. I am part Irish and if I were not so damned sick right now I would observe Paddy’s Day tomorrow in my own way… with a few quiet pints of black beer and the company of a friend or two at hand… no green beer.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that Paddy’s Day is a stupid holiday. I am part Irish and if I were not so damned sick right now I would observe Paddy’s Day tomorrow in my own way… with a few quiet pints of black beer and the company of a friend or two at hand… no green beer.[/quote]

actually it’s also my sister’s b-day. my is on bastille day. my mom is 4th of july. really odd.

it’s a stupid American holiday celebrated by people who aren’t Irish, don’t know what st patrick stood for, or are Irish-descendants who have little or no concept of ireland (a la it’s cool to support the IRA, but conveniently they don’t have to bear the daily fighting, and civilian casualties relatively safe in their American homes).[/quote]

Jack Burton,

You may want to rethink a few remarks you have made in your post.

…[/quote]it’s a stupid American holiday).[/quote]
Why do you have to label it as “stupid?” Actually, there is nothing stupid about it. Many kids in America grow up having fun wearing something green on that day, and watching parades. Why is that stupid?

(quote) celebrated by people… don’t know what st patrick
stood for(quote)
Are you sure about that? All Americans don’t know anything about St.Patrick? Are you sure about that? Really? Where did you do your research to make such a bold assertion?

I think it is interesting that you decided to change this innocuous thread into an attack against Americans. What’s the reason for the visceral hatred against a minor holiday and the people who enjoy celebrating it?

Well, I would suggest you simply lighten-up a bit and not let people having a good time make you feel so angry. You’ll enjoy life more if you do.

you took that post way too seriously. :slight_smile:

It’s just an excuse for Paddies and their admirers everywhere to get blind drunk, surely? :wink:

And it’s fun for the kids too:

stpatricksday.ie/cms/

stpatricksday.ie/press/photo … oy_200.jpg

Am I first this year to ask anyone if they have any Irish in them?

Well d’ ya want some? :sunglasses:

By the way, who can drive the snakes out of Taiwan? Maybe St. Ah-huang?

[quote=“magnolia”]Am I first this year to ask anyone if they have any Irish in them?

Well d’ ya want some? :sunglasses:[/quote]
Remembering Phil Lynott.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“magnolia”]Am I first this year to ask anyone if they have any Irish in them?

Well d’ ya want some? :sunglasses:[/quote]
Remembering Phil Lynott.[/quote]

I think it was Hexuan reminded me of that this time last year!

Slainte!

It’s me (English) mum’s birthday too - how could my dear old Irish drunk of a father NOT marry her? Think the thought of being able to go out and slaughtered with his mates on HER birthday was a dream come true! :wink:

Sorry about that. Perhaps I am getting too sensitive in my old age :blush:
I think I may be the one who needs to lighten-up a bit :smiley:

St. Patrick’s Festival was established by the Government of Ireland in November 1995.

St. Patrick’s Festival 2004
Dublin, Ireland

St. Patrick’s Day is a very special day around the world, but nowhere in the world is it more special than Ireland. Over the last nine years St Patrick’s Day celebrations have developed into a week long Festival with a diverse and creative programme of events including street theatre, fireworks, music, visual arts and our very own treasure hunt! Come and join us as we celebrate St Patrick’s Day - Irish style! You will be swept away by the atmosphere.

http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/