Stalking

No, no, no. You don’t give him the telephone number. He has to come over and meet the girl in person.

He may have to spend a long time talking to her. It has to be done on a one to one basis.

He has to be willing to invest quite a bit of time in dealing with this person. While I don’t mean to be impolite, it indeed may be somewhat compared to taming a wild horse.

That is, quite simply, the maddest plan I’ve ever heard. Laurel & Hardy couldn’t have done better!

No, you’ll find nothing similar in Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy. But thanks for the compliment.

You, Richard, are a schmuck!
This girl LOVES wix. She doesn’t love herself much, but she LOVES wix. Why would she be interested in another goon when she LOVES wix so much?

spit! :x

You are referring to wix99, the original poster?

Well, of course you may be correct. However, I am proceeding on the line of thought that she is not so much overly fascinated with him, as she is upset about being cast aside.

Do you remember the Irish (Scottish?) veterinarian & author who wrote all the dog stories? He also talked about the psychology of people relating to “man’s best friend.” His conclusion about how to console a human being over the death of a beloved hound?

A new puppy.

It is a similar argument, and I am not trying to make any comparisons of people to dogs or whatever. I am approaching this from the point of view of discussing two living beings who were strongly attracted to each other. How does one deal with the loss of the other?

Hence, my analysis. There is no intent to be cute here. I am just calling the cards as I see them and I believe that my comments have some merit.

[quote=“Hartzell”]His conclusion about how to console a human being over the death of a beloved hound?

A new puppy. [/quote]

… or in this case a new Guppy!

All,

Just curious. How many foreigners on this board have had stalking experiences with Taiwanese? I know of at least 4 white men personally who have had such horrible experiences (including me). And about 2 more on this board. And 1 foreign women and her Taiwanese ex.

Is it just me or is there something cultural afoot that causes so much Fatal Attraction-like stalking in these parts?

FS

Yes. Taiwanese men do it too…
This seems to be a local trait. Not only stalking, but harrassment. I reckon when a Taiwanese is spurned by a lover (or in some cases not even) the loss of face may be too much to bear, and revenge appears to be the only answer. It must be about face, come on…why else would it be so common here?
But if you had any face in the first place you wouldn’t be going out with these ugly foreigners, so it’s just absurd.

But I think, for women at least, it’s sad and it shows how little respect they appear to have for themselves.
Just talking with a friend about it and we realised we’d never heard of such behaviour back home out of women (men, yes, but usually a bit menacing). If an American woman did this she’d be branded a psycho, and may even be arrested for it, like men are.
At home, you’d go to the police, eh?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don’t know much about Taiwanese people if my husband was born here (he doesn’t know much himself, now that I think about it), but I think it might have something to do with dating/courting. I don’t think the women here (in general) date the way you might be expected to in the States or Europe. In the West, it’s kind of expected that you’d date many different people to find the “right” person. It seems to like people here settle down a bit earlier. (but I could be wrong)

Jennifer

Hartzell, I can’t say I agree with your proposal but neither can I deny that your suggestion is one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time. I think I need to go check my shorts as I may have soiled myself! :laughing:

Listen to the lyrics of Zhang Zhenyue’s “Gou nan nu”. Not my favorite song, but still illustrative in this case.

Poagao, could you provide a link to where the song could be listened to online? Perhaps even a sample clip?

Dr. Richard “Pavlov” Hartzell has expertly discerned a unique but insightful condition of Taiwanese stalker syndrome and the Western male penchant for sharing that puppy love as a male bonding ritual. The Dr. Pavlov prescription is just add four quarts of Crazy Glue and play Twister to the oldie 80’s song “Stuck on You”. :smiling_imp:

Yikes, Richard, you’re the anthropological missing link with the patriarchal past. I like it. It’s refreshing to get such a whiff of straight out-the-tailpipe emoting after so many megadoses of straitlaced political correctness.

EPA regulations have strigently reduced the pollution of tailpipes for the easier breathing of the general public.

:unamused: So it is still PC.

Alien wrote:

Stalking should not be a cultural trait here. I personally have never heard of anything like this happening (stalking or being stalked) among my circle of friends or friends of my friends, and I don’t even remember I’ve read about this kind of stories (not that I can recall) in Taiwanese newspapers. Of course the fact that I’ve never heard of it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist at all. But I did see many western movies with themes on stalking. Does that mean those western movies create their stories based on Taiwanese culture? Come on!!!

Despite this, we do sometimes, from the mass media, hear of Taiwanese women committing suicide because of men. Too bad that they chose to end their lives like that just because the guys they love don’t love them anymore. I agree that Taiwanese women (in general, but not all ) tend to focus more on their men than on themselves, especially that type who stalk or threaten to kill themselves.

I also agree that stalkers are somewhat psychos. But there are many types of psychos in terms of stalking. For those who feel so deeply in love in their relationship that they don’t know when and how to let go once their love relationship breaks up, they are actually hurt and very painful, so they need emotional and professional help! For those who stalk people they don’t know or don’t have a relationship with, they may feel excited and turned on when they are stalking. These people are wacko, insane, lunatic, you name it, and they really should be forced to take a reeeeeeeal therapy in a right place.

PC commissars are in town. Taiwanese stalker syndrome does have some distinguishing characteristics as is noted in comparison to the Western experience of stalkers. Many personality disorders will have some differing characteristics due to the environmental stimuli of the reinforcing cultural and society.

People bouncing in and out of foreign and home cultures can experience some serious delusional disorders as a result of differing “realities” in each environment. What is true there is not always true here. The increased frequency of travel and interaction is going to either homogenize these cultural perceptions or induce mass social complexes on them. The conflict of truth is inherent to clashing cultural paradigms of the Islamic radicals versus the modern Rome of our time.

xx

Well for what it’s worth a Chinese girl (not from Taiwan) that I used to go out with made my life hell for a while, and now 9 years later I realise she (poor deluded soul) was mad about me (poss. literally) and I was a total shit and didn’t know a good thing when I had it. I reckon whoever she’s with now is a very lucky man or curator of an institution.

Anyone who wants to compile a list of Head Cases in Taipers is welcome to my domain www.psychoxiaojie.com registered for that purpose but never set up. Mark0938 will perhaps remember a short lived expat band of the same name and may well begin wondering who the hell I am.

It’s a Worry.

You could see who is David by Clicking here