Standard/Inferior Mandarin

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]
or over-using the “bing” structure – like “bing bushi” or “bing meiyou”).[/quote]

Don’t think you can blame taiwanese influence for this, there’s no analogeous construct in taiwanese, or no commonly used one at least.

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]First of all, I think people are misusing some concepts here. “Guoyu” and “Taiwan Guoyu” are not the same, and I think people are misconstruing the meaning of the latter term. “Taiwan Guoyu” according to academics I’ve asked refers to the mixture of “Guoyu” and the Minnan-hua, whether it be inserting Taiwanese words, speaking “Guoyu” with Taiwanese grammar, or severely distorting “standard” pronunciation (and not just the retroflex). So, don’t confuse “the Guoyu (Mandarin) spoken in Taiwan” with “Taiwan Guoyu”.
[/quote]

I heard a joke told by one of the local TV stars here a few years ago (it might have been Zhang Fei): “I speak three languages: Taiyu, Guoyu and Taiwan Guoyu.”

Since when the Queen’s English is standard English?

Good words here but there’s notheless the real problem, general to all languages but perhaps more critical in large, supposedly monolingual or lingua franca entities like the Chinese-speaking world and the English-speaking world, that communication is rendered more difficult by ever evolving local particularisms.

I also tend to like accents, even in English, but when you have something important to say, it’s clean frustrating to be powerless to say it in a way that would be effective.

Hence the “inferior” label.

EB

[quote=“speakpigeon”]Good words here but there

[quote=“zhujianlun”]Aaah, those class-conscious Taiwanese professors strike again. I think if someone passed judgement on the brand of English spoken in my home country in this manner I would be inclined to respond with extreme disapproval. It’s one thing to say “I struggle with this or that difference” and quite another to condone your pompous professors who like to separate themselves from the little people as often and as loudly as they can

These are perfectly reasonable points. If you are writing an academic paper, certain standards apply. One aims to use the most lucid expression available in the language that is used. But I’m not talking about this.

I’m talking about the contention you attribute to your professors that Taiyu/Hoklo grammar is

[quote=“zhujianlun”]I’m talking about the contention you attribute to your professors that Taiyu/Hoklo grammar is

Well, if all the professors were saying was that a hybrid of Taiyu grammar and Mandarin grammar is unacceptable when required to write in Mandarin, as would be certain loose expression in Mandarin alone, then I withdraw what I said. :notworthy: But to be fair, this thread had turned into one dealing with the issue of perceptions of inferior or standard Mandarin, and it was in this context that I read his post. If all LittleBuddhaTW is referring to is the rather unsurprising situation where professors ask their students to use certain expression in an appropriate linguistic context, then this sounds like it’s off topic

I think you’re making a mountain out of molehill. I’m discussing the influence of Minnan grammar/colloquial expressions that are inappropriate in formal written Mandarin, period. I don’t look down on the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan, because it’s what I communicate in every day, with my classmates, professors, co-workers, friends, etc. That’s it … you’re just looking to pick a fight and read much more into what I wrote than I did. :unamused:

And thank you to Tetsuo for understanding my point. :bravo:

:frowning: Hmm. If I have come across as doing this then I will moderate my language in future. Certainly there was no intention to pick a fight. I hope you can see that I have tried to argue my position as clearly as possible

If you want to hear the “purest”, most “standard” Guoyu on (or actually, near)Taiwan, you can find it on Orchid Island among the younger members of the Yami.

Since only a very few Taiwanese live on the island, the locals learn their Mandarin through textbooks, and use the actual “bo po mo fa” pronunciations.

I’ve met several younger Yami, who, if you close your eyes, sound like they’re fresh off the boat from the Mainland. Recently my buxiban was looking for a receptionist; my Taiwanese partner was very puzzled that someone from DaLu called up looking for the job, claiming they knew me- yep, turned out to be an old friend from Lanyu.