Star Wars Episode 8 Spoiler Discussion

The director himself said that there wasn’t much planned after TFA. The new movie was almost prepared from scratch, and I think it’s easy to tell there’s a huge narrative dissonance between TFA and TLJ.

The prequels already put that in a grave 8(

Token Asian character #3743 didn’t work this time.

That only works when they’re actually well-known Chinese stars.

Maybe - just maybe - this time the Asian actors were cast because they were actually how the character was envisioned. Or, at the very least, they thought the actor fit the part and her race was inconsequential to the role. Radical notion, I know.

Seriously, whenever you see anybody who isn’t white in a movie is that where your mind goes? It must get exhausting.

as a pointless sub character in a pointless subplot? Perfect casting, then.
I was surprised to see she had no lines in Chinese.

Why would they give an actress of Vietnamese descent lines in Chinese?

Rose had a reason to fight, but the idea of her being “battle ready” for the subplot was ridiculous. She stated in her first conversation with Finn that she worked with pipes. She went from working with pipes to driving sand speeders in the last scene…fighting the first order.

You can argue that Luke was a moisture farmer turned Jedi and destroyed the Death Star…but he was force sensitive and son of Anakin. What is Rose? Who is Rose? Why is Rose in this movie? Why did she have to add drama to the Finn Rey relationship?

If she were just a plug for an asian face and not have any part in the plot, I’m game, who isn’t doing that nowadays? However, her part just seemed…forced.

I think the cause for that is Finn. His story arc starts in an interesting way, him being a Stormtrooper who leaves (even if that leaves a lot of unanswered question regarding the background of the army organization). He sort-of joins the rebels, even if he always felt like someone who wants to be recognized as an individual rather than "a dude being part of group X’. I liked his story up to that point. Then his character arc stopped, he had nothing meaningful to do for 1.5 movies. He just happens to be in places where things happen, which is not a story. In TLJ he literally had NOTHING to do because the whole movie was centered about the Jedi stuff and the rebel’s fleet trying to escape, again, from the Empire.
They couldn’t simply leave him out of the movie, so they made up that bullshit subplot and added another pointless secondary character. Their story “arc” has no impact on the development of the movie and their forced romance is absolutely retarded. If you cut the movie removing every single scene with Finn, Guendaline and the evil capitalist planet full of Chocobos you suddenly get a better movie.
Oh and he gets to fight Phasma (?) again, defeating her again. Wow…

By the way, in the first movie Finn smiled a lot more. I guess it has nothing to do with the character, though; my guess is that the actor was expecting to have some sexy scenes with Rey and instead got the least attractive Asian girl in hollywood. Fukin’ rekt, m8.

I agree with everything, but this. So much hate on the Asian girl. I won’t go into this though.

Finn had SO MUCH potential to be anything from the new Rebel Alliance Solo or General Skywalker and even Force sensitive, but his character was epically wasted in The Last Jedi. His awesome chemistry with Poe was kind of non-existent too! Speaking of Poe, he could’ve been perfect for the pointless mission to Chocobo planet. Some buddy cop scenes would’ve made the subplot a bit more interesting, but nope, Poe had to be all mutineering purple hair Dr. Saddler.

JJ is going to have his hands full in directing the final installment.

Well, her character sucks ass, so the actress is bound to receive some flak, there’s no way around it.

Poe + Finn would have made more sense, yes. Pointless Admiral Pinkhair gets control of the fleet -> she tells her plan to Poe (INSTEAD OF KEEPING IT SECRET JUST BECAUSE SHE’S A DUMBFUCK) -> Poe doesn’t like it -> he embarks on a mission with Finn -> create an interesting world that isn’t a capitalist chocobo land -> the story makes more sense, it shows again that Finn is not a huge fan of authority and Poe can learn something from his actions.

I’m having a hard time understanding how TLJ was developed from a storytelling point of view. I don’t think the director had much (or anything at all) to do with the script, Johnson did a fantastic job directing some of his stuff, and he wrote The Looper which is a fine film. So unless he had a stroke while working on the script of TLJ I can only assume that a marketing committee from Disney packed a nice turd, handed it to him and told:“Here’s your paycheck, direct this”.

the actors commented that they were making history because of the mixed race romance stuff happening on screen, all of that stuff was done on purpose to appeal to a certain audience. hey if the storytelling was good maybe people wouldn’t be saying anything but it wasn’t good, not by a long shot.

I thought Finn was going to end up with Phasma.

Does Mantis count as Asian? She was Vietnamese in the comics, and the actress is mixed-race, but the movie character is an alien.

Mantis as in Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Quite a jump from the topic, BUT she was important in the movie’s story line. Most people thought she was just an asian face plug, but she actually played a role.

Mantis was really cool! I think that actress played the role well and the character has a purpose. I’m glad they reinvented it because the original Mantis was a mess.

Oh wait, that was a different movie.

In the comics she was a Vietnamese hooker turned Celestial Madonna who learned kung-fu and psychic powers from alien monks, then married the reanimated corpse / plant-alien clone of her dead lover.

The writer-director did actually write an earlier draft where that happened. Poe and Finn went on an adventure together. Rose didn’t exist. He then realized it didn’t work and rewrote.

Someone shared your sentiment. Skip to 1:32:40.

Time for Star Wars to do a time-travel story / soft reboot ? Or a hard reboot?

Introduce some new force power to undo the past.

If you’re going to write a boring character and cast a sub par actor to play it. At lease make her eye canday. So many attractive Asian actors could have got the role, why cast someone that actually looks like someone you put working on the pipes? Just saying. Isn’t that Hollywood 101? Your actor and character sucks but at least they’re super hot so no one notices or cares. Plus Star Wars is realistically a film men are more a fan of. We like shiny things and get distracted easily.

Yang-Ying

(for anyone who didn’t watch ID:R, she was the token Asian character with some scenes in Chinese when talking with her uncle)