Star World: Which programs do you like? Which ones should they show?

Neither can I, I would think that it could really sell HBOAsia, especially in…er, Asia. That said, isn’t Star.* owned by Rupert Murdoch, the old media’s apparent answer to the new media’s Bill Gates? (i.e., brilliant global monopolist, Murdoch may have made some evil deal here, got under HBO somehow?)

I liked the pilot, on USA channel in the…er, US. But I never thought the subsequent episodes ever lived up to it. In fact, I remember thinking that Monk had become a one-joke bore (maybe several jokes, but never any new ones). Monk freaks out around kids, around snot, he’s obsessive, he’s compulsive, he’s brilliant, his secretary keeps him together, that’s about it.

But I loved the pilot. Very funny stuff, imo.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
By the way, it’s official…I love Monk.[/quote]

Yay for Monk! It’s literally the only regular show I watch on cable right now… I think some of the plots have been a bit cough farfetched, but since I’ve never watched any of those ‘murder of the week’ shows before, I enjoy it immensely.

Now that it’s the new year, my cable distributor has, as always, messed with the channels. Star World used to be on channel 103, and now it appears to be nowhere. Does anyone else who used to get it on 103 know where it’s gone to?

Yeah, that was a bit of a rude shock, wasn’t it? Sounds like my set up, I had CNN on 100 and Star World on 103. CNN moved to 94 and I think Star World has disappeared - not 100% sure but I did run through all the channels and didn’t see it.

Yeah I can’t find it!!

I get it on 90.

Where about?

Which cable provider do you subscribe to? I would really like my Star World back . . . especially Monk. Like Malcolm in the Middle, 70s Show, and Titus (although Titus is now cancelled in the US). Have been taping Dark Angel but not watching yet as with X Files. Watch Drew Carey, Yes Dear, Monday night’s comedy line up). I guess I’m mostly sitcom and scifi guy.

I’ll check 90 again, but I don’t think it’s there… I hope it is though.

I am in ZhongHo. I think my provider may be New Visual Wave Communications Co., LTD.

Phone # is 2927-7868

Do not tell them I sent you. I said I think because that’s who sends me a bill. I never pay this bill. As I said earlier, I pay a little old smiley guy who shows up at my place at 11:00PM every three months or so and I give him some money. I keep giving him some money until he starts giving me back some. I don’t question the system and I have StarWorld. It’s all very surreal. The unexpected and buzz-shattering report of the doorbuzzer. The seemingly-incomprehensible yet assurredly insistent manner with which he convinces me to let him up, that he does indeed have the right door, a strange parody of another famous balcony scene…a bill collector at any other time would be as scary…he points again and again at my TV, which is invariably tuned to Just Shoot Me and I think he must be quite a David Spade fan, when it dawns on me…he’s my cable-boy…I open with a blue one…silence, stillness…LaoTze in inaction…I give him another blue one…this seems to have done the trick…the binlang stained tooth (sic) starts sawing up and down in a cacophony of xie-xies and he starts giving me back some money…no blue ones mind you…

More xie-xie sawing and he disappears into the mists of brewing dofu down the alley…did it really happen or was it a product of my altered state…all I know, truly know, is that come the morrow, I can watch Oprah.

ToeSave, that brought a tear to my eye.

So, how do I get this guy to show up in my apartment in downtown Taipei and grant me Star World again? Like before tomorrow night when Monk comes on?

Firefly is grrrrreatttttt! I really want the DVD to replace my . . . ermmm . . . uh . . . let’s just say VCDs from somewhere on the internet except without the VCD part. :slight_smile:

One neat thing . . . well, I think it’s neat . . . is that the show is absolutely crawling with Chinese language but you will probably have to tell your Chinese friends what the characters are saying as their pronunciation is HORRIBLE! I guess the so-called on-set language coach didn’t explain the concept of tones to the actors or which sounds to use for which Romanized letter.

I had to tell my wife and daughter (both native speakers of Chinese) what the characters were saying. The first time they heard it, I had to rewind a few times and explain to them exactly what they guy was saying as they just couldn’t hear it the way I could (being a “professional” English teacher, I’ve a very forgiving ear and can understand a lot of sloppy pronunciation - being a longterm butcher of spoken Chinese, I’m used to creating sloppy pronunciation as well).

Despite the problems with the Chinese pronunciation, Firefly is a wonderful show and Whedon has already signed on to do a major motion picture of the show so it will hit the big screen.

The show did not fail because of inherent problems with it, Fox killed it by showing the episodes out of ourder which confused the audience and by having weeks of no show or inconsistent placement in the weekly lineup (much the same way Space: Above and Beyond was sabotaged). The network execs were pissed off at Whedon and taught him a lesson. Dinks. Three episodes that were made didn’t even go to air in the US, although they were broadcast in the UK. They’re good episodes too (I watched the whole series in a couple days and loved it - although I wish I had seen them in the filming order rather than the broadcast order).

Argghhhhh…which one of you guys talked? StarWorld just disappeared off my radar…Code Red Alert…

DAMN!

I ran into Rick Monday from ICRT last weekend and he told me the good folks at ICRT are starting a petition to get StarWorld back on the air. He said they need 30,000 signatures. I don’t have much more info about it but Rick and Gus were supposed to get together to see how Forumosa can help. Gus? Any more info?

I would like to take this opportunity to say how crap Star Sports is. I was watching 9-ball the other day. Jimmy White vs. Ralf Souquet, final match. Turns out this match was from 1994! TEN FRIKKIN YEARS AGO!! What a bunch of crap. It wasn’t as if it was a classic duel or anything. They probably just used it as filler. They even had the nerve to repeat the same match the next day. 1994 - I can’t believe it.

The Chinese pool/snooker commentator is useless too.
I feel better now I’ve got that off my chest…

didnt read the thread…a little lazy.
Can any one tell me why i dont have star world? i have start movies and hbo and all that rubbish. 辣妹總動員 on 歐朋電視 is starting to bore me now

They took Star World off on 1/1/04…the reason behind that decision is questionable, although it can be surmissed that the inability to pirate commerical time may have a little to do with it. And Videoland is a poor substitute for Star World.

Where’s that petition?