Starbucks Cinnamon Rolls Suck, so what are the alternatives?

I can confirm! It’s perfect!

The best one was the cinnamon roll cronut in Costco, which sold for only 1 month. It was too godly for this earth, so it’s no longer with us.

2 Likes

Kooks in DanShui used to have an amazing cinnamon pecan roll when they first came out, but after COVID hit they just microwave it now and it’s gross like a Starbucks one sadly. It WAS the best when it first came out… Until they went cheap and now has the consistency of a melted tire :confused:

It sounds like it’s not only the product that has lacked consistency.

I wonder why shops do this. New management or owners?

Guy

Costco bakes their own. Lots 'o cinnamon. Lots 'o icing. Pretty dang good.

I didn’t see any in the Guandu Costco yesterday. Another poster said they wouldn’t be stocked anymore - maybe that was somewhere upthread, maybe in the Costco thread.

In southern Taiwan I like this one

2 Likes

Hmmmmm, not sure. They’ve have them at both Kaohsiung locations since late last year at least. Just bought some last week.

2 Likes

Here’s the comment over in the other thread:

But who knows really. I’m mildly annoyed with myself because I went to Costco intending for the cinnamon rolls to be my guilty pleasure of the next couple of weeks. But they weren’t there, so I foolishly bought a box of brownies instead. They’re not bad, but I shouldn’t have bothered - to my taste, they’re not a worthy substitute.

I think Costco Taiwan sometimes miscalculate the quantities for some western style products. They had European style bread before. Expensive, but good enough. The bag included two big breads. I don’t think a regular Taiwanese family can eat so much bread (real bread) even in two weeks. For me, it wasn’t a problem because I can easily eat that quantity in two or three days, or less, depending on the kind of food I’m eating. But for regular Taiwanese people, bread would go bad unless freezing, which is a shame. So, they stopped selling it.

1 Like

The chain bakery Sun Merry recently started selling piles of various “cinnamon buns.” I bought one—the most basic version they had—to try.

The adjectives that came to mind as I ate it include “industrial,” “odd,” and “unsatisfying.” Let’s just say the quotation marks around “cinnamon buns” sold by this outfit will not be removed!

Guy

1 Like

Sickening amount of icing. Way too sweet.

2 Likes

Yea too much, Cinnabon style. Maybe if you scraped the majority off … it just needs to be a little.

Most Taiwan cinnamon rolls lack any glaze of any kind, for some reason. Even Mr Donut. What does Taiwan have against glaze O_O

Cinnamon Tree on Lane 49 Shida Road is nice. It’s not a butter soaked calorie bomb–there’s nothing wrong with that, but nothing wrong with this and a coffee. The boss is American they say. Friendly service

1 Like

The best cinnamon rolls in the whole of Taiwan (yes, THE WHOLE OF TAIWAN) are at Sherri’s Bakery in Kaohsiung: https://goo.gl/maps/DSpVLecEzSLRnZfP8

The caramel apple one is amazing :smiley:

2 Likes

The Zhonghua 5th Rd. Costco in Kaohsiung had gooey walnut cinnamon rolls again yesterday. Love 'em!

2 Likes

I always see them, but can’t justify buying a whole packet/tray :frowning:

1 Like

I’m confused, did Costco go back to selling cinnamon rolls? They weren’t selling them for a while. Did I miss something?! I enjoyed having them in my freezer for when I wanted a burst of slightly spicy but mostly excessively sweet gooeyness, but I thought they were gone?

I saw them at Beitou the other day. The ones with icing.

2 Likes

When I get home, I stick 'em in the freezer for a few hours (makes 'em a lot easier & less messy to cut) then take them out and use a butter knife to cut them into pieces which I then wrap in saranwrap and pop back in the freezer for future microwaving/consumption.

2 Likes

Then defrost and microwave? That’s a great idea! How long do you microwave them for?