Start Smart Feedback

Jdsmith

I just started using your book as a supplemental activity for a few of my lower level classes (I haven’t seen levels 3-6 in the local Caves). I would like to give some feedback.

I like:

1. Pictures are easy for me to draw on the board.
  2. I like the activities at the back of the book.
  3. Looks as though it has a good progression.

I don’t like:

1. Some of the pictures are misleading such as:

Stand by the tree.

He is standing by the tree, so the answer is yes, but I wouldn’t suggest for someone to stand by a tree that is about to fall.

Close the window.

He should close the window after he has opened it. Now the window is open, but he is not neccesarily opening it either.

Overall I believe the book will be of excellent help to my lower level classes. Thanks

PS Remember I have only just started with the book. :wink:

[quote=“Ilanian”]Stand by the tree.

He is standing by the tree, so the answer is yes, but I wouldn’t suggest for someone to stand by a tree that is about to fall.

Close the window.

He should close the window after he has opened it. Now the window is open, but he is not neccesarily opening it either.

[/quote]

That’s what I thought at first sight. However, there are thinking skills involved in this book. If a child could justify their answer, they could be right either way - Yes or No - with some of the pictures.

I kind of like it not being so cut and dry. Although, I too, did have to ask the same questions.

We are putting Smart Start 1 in our schools as supplimentary materials this year.

Still, I do recommend some Smart Start training before getting too far into the book.

[quote][quote=“Ilanian”]Jdsmith

I just started using your book as a supplemental activity for a few of my lower level classes (I haven’t seen levels 3-6 in the local Caves). I would like to give some feedback.[/quote]

I have never been more nervous about opening a thread. lol Book 3 is being reformatted…out soon…4-6 are in development…as we need to measure the gap accordingly for each level. Level four is a modern take on fairy tales: Goldilocks in the 3 Bears restaurant…more good vocabulary, more critical thinking acts…

[quote]I like:

1. Pictures are easy for me to draw on the board.
  2. I like the activities at the back of the book.
  3. Looks as though it has a good progression.[/quote]

Glad to hear it. I’m a terrirble artist, so we designed it with me in mind. The supplemental activities are very useful in getting the beginning level kids to produce English, and review what they’ve learned.

Did you make your TPR command lists? How long was the list? Did every student get a crack at it? Do you think the book needs a workbook? I’m mapping/experimenting on one out now for my own classes, which gets the kids to speak the commands…little teacher-wise, and make their own command list, as well as a take home CD to test their listening comp. How do you see that? Useful?

[quote]I don’t like:

1. Some of the pictures are misleading such as:

Stand by the tree.

Close the window.

He should close the window after he has opened it. Now the window is open, but he is not neccesarily opening it either.[/quote]

HEY! YOU just don’t understand the book!! Oh, ok, :slight_smile:

I feel the ambiguity in some of the pictures promotes critcal thinking. I don’t like the answers ALL to be obviously A or obviously B.

The tree…uhm…it’s not a real tree, no one will get hurt. :slight_smile: You can teach them not to stand next to a falling tree though. See? The book invites learning and knowledge. lol

As for open the window…it’s open. So the answer would be no. And if you’re thinking, it’s open, he should close it…yes, but he’s not closing it…so the anser is no. :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree more. It gives new students lessons that they can successfully complete…every time. It’s a great primer for reading book. :slight_smile:

I’d just like to add something here.

There is another series by the same author called “Reading Schema”. It is great. Kids are really interested in it. The expansion possibilities are good. The thinking and comprehension skills are so good that they work on a three year old… I know… it has worked with mine (well, “My Animal Friends” has).

I don’t plug anything unless I think it’s good. This stuff is good.

Oh, and a Smart Start demo is a great thing to have at your school… I know… I had one. You may get more out of it than just what’s in the book. All the questions about the book suddenly fall into place and all my staff were left thinking … “duh, how’d we miss that?” myself included. :blush:

JD is seriously dedicated to delivering quality. Not only does he talk, he also listens. The best thing is, he speaks from having already used the material.

I back it, and we put our money where our mouth is with an order for three of our schools… over 500 books. Now, I am looking at how I can use Reading Schema. Both local and foreign staff like the series and agree on the benefits of using it… that doesn’t happen everyday, at least not where I am from.

I’ll say this again… I do not and will not plug anything that isn’t good. Cheque… mail :wink: Kidding, just kidding… :laughing:

[quote=“Bassman”]I’d just like to add something here.

[quote]
There is another series by the same author called “Reading Schema”. It is great. Kids are really interested in it. The expansion possibilities are good. The thinking and comprehension skills are so good that they work on a three year old… I know… it has worked with mine (well, “My Animal Friends” has).[/quote]

They really go together. Reading Schema was written first, and SS is actually a level below RS level 1. So, once my kids finish SS1 they go right into RS level one (5 books). The RS series now had 4 levels published, 20 books, but there is a gap from level 3-4 that is hard for some kids to get through. However, levels 1-3 should not be a problem.

:notworthy: Thank you.

I think the reason my demos are good is that I’ll say “I have no idea,” when I have no idea. I know that SS works for me and all our teachers and there’s no reason why it can’t work for other teachers, foreign and local.

Come to the school for the Teacher’s Network meeting and you’ll see all these books on the shelves. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to get down there again and see how it’s going!

Neither will I.