Statement of work experience

Does anyone know how obtaining a “statement of work experience” works? I am trying to obtain a work visa. I am from the US and I was hired my an engineering company here in Hsinchu. I have a BS degree in a related field. Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

I would think you’d need to go to your previous employer and ask him/her for a letter of reference stating that you have the necessary related work experience.
If you are a new graduate without work experience (2 years is the minimum, I believe), it will pretty difficult if not impossible to get a resident visa sponsored by your employer, which is what I think you mean by a “work” visa.

A PC with a color printer can also solve the problem.

However, that’s illegal.

You can just ask for a vague letter of reference. I got one stating that I had worked for a company for 4 years and that they liked me. I free-lanced for them every summer…

They don’t check the reference…keep it simple and plain…

Careful there, honcho. I’ve had three previous employers here, all unrelated to teaching. Every one of them did indeed check my references, both from here and from the UK. There again, maybe that was because of my disreputable appearance.

Neither, my work experience nor my college degree were never verified by my employer, nor by the government. However, I wouldn’t totally make it up just in case as it is pretty easy to check on.

“[quote]If you are a new graduate without work experience (2 years is the minimum, I believe), it will pretty difficult if not impossible to get a resident visa sponsored by your employer, which is what I think you mean by a “work” visa.”[/quote]

Hmm, thats not good. Difficult if not impossible? Then what can I do? What should I do to legally work?
Thanks for the help.

Tim

My advice is to have someone write a letter saying you have two years of work experience. Do you have a friend at a company, any engineering or related company, who can do this for you? Or do it yourself and have your friend look at it. Then, I would take it and get it notarized or take it to AIT here and get an affidivant, or get any sort of official looking stamp on it.

If you were hired by a company here and you don’t have two years work experience, it seems odd they would hire you, or perhaps the HR dept. was clueless, as is often the case here. Anyway, be a little creative. Think “Third World flexibility” not “North America honest and by the book”.

Flicka, that was what I did. My employer knew that my experience was a bit flaky at the edges, as I did not lie to them when I applied for the job, and did what they could to make it look better (don’t give them youe MA diploma, but your bachelor one instead, as that’s older). It works best if the company trying to employ you are in on it. The govt did not check up on anything, but then again, I got an open work permit as soon as I could.