Status quo, waiting it out

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“ABC”]
China is threatening Taiwan. This affects people’s opinions.[/quote][/quote]

Sure, but not in the way you’re thinking.

The only effect of Chinese threat is that people in Taiwan are going to want to choose TI even more. This is partially why CSB was elected to president in 2000. It’s also why in recent years China has refrained from using overt threats like it has in the past, but rather uses its soft power to counter TI related activities. Clearly China realized using threat is counter-productive and only results in people wanting to fight it and take an even more adverse position.

So the notion of people choosing status quo because of Chinese threat? Not if human psychology works the same way in Taiwan as it does the rest of the world.

[quote=“ABC”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“ABC”]
China is threatening Taiwan. This affects people’s opinions.[/quote][/quote]

Sure, but not in the way you’re thinking.

The only effect of Chinese threat is that people in Taiwan are going to want to choose TI even more. This is partially why CSB was elected to president in 2000. It’s also why in recent years China has refrained from using overt threats like it has in the past, but rather uses its soft power to counter TI related activities. Clearly China realized using threat is counter-productive and only results in people wanting to fight it and take an even more adverse position.

So the notion of people choosing status quo because of Chinese threat? Not if human psychology works the same way in Taiwan as it does the rest of the world.[/quote]

You really live in your own head. What year was the anti-secession law? Hint, it wasn’t that long ago.

No one here is fooled by China’s soft power approach. They rightly see it as the ruse it is. Human psychology works just fine in Taiwan.

You’re missing the point. China has reduced its overt threats because they had a negative impact. They got people’s backs up and made them react quickly. Though as Mucha Man said, they still passed the Anti-Secession “Law” after the 2004 election.

But China still threatens Taiwan generally. If people honestly thought that there was no threat from China they would back Taiwanese independence. But because they know there’s something lurking in the background they’ll say they support the current sovereignty arrangement, as they can put off challenging China.

PRC threatend ROC, because USA threatens PRC.

If ROC wasn’t part of USA containment strategy and did not have USA as a security guarantor, TI supporter would be less brazen, and PRC reactions would not be as strong. Which is something that is needed to promoted stability in my opinion.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]PRC threatend ROC, because USA threatens PRC.
If ROC wasn’t part of USA containment strategy and did not have USA as a security guarantor, TI supporter would be less brazen, and PRC reactions would not be as strong. Which is something that is needed to promoted stability in my opinion.[/quote]Hahaha, or look at it another way: If the USA wasn’t the security guarator of the ROC’s idiotic ‘retake the mainland’ strategy, the ROC never would have been able to stand there and snub their nose at China for so long. And if Taiwan wasn’t a vital part of China’s Asia Pacific domination strategy China wouldn’t give a shit what the USA was doing.

The USA never was supportive of ROC retaking the mainland. It supported dividing China in half. It supporter leaving ROC on Taiwan. It supporter recognizing PRC.

Depends which decade and which presidency you’re referring to.

Vital overstates Taiwan. It’s important. But ROC doesn’t have the US military presence on it anymore. So ROC actually has somewhat more freedom about how closely it wishes to align with US military intrest in the region, unlike Japan and South Korea for instance.

Personally, given USA current situation. I question the wisdom of spending federal dollars in the region, when balanced with our other interest domestically and internationally. As an average American, I think Japan, China, and India should bear more of the burden of ensuring stability in the region. Not saying USA should return to isolationist policy, but when Taiwan acts up, under the protection of US security umbrella, that we Americans pay for. It make me wonder if it is hindering Taiwan progress. Instead using the stability the US provides to progress as a shining beacon of a modern Chinese government. Taiwan squanders the stability on political adventurism and immature domestic theater.

Thank goodness I don’t work for any of the China lobby groups… :laughing:

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Thank goodness I don’t work for any of the China lobby groups… :laughing:[/quote]

Sure you do sound a lot like… if you are not getting paid, then you are really dumb man…

I thought you said you were an “average Taiwanese”? :ponder:

[quote=“mr_boogie”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
Thank goodness I don’t work for any of the China lobby groups… :laughing:[/quote]

Sure you do sound a lot like… if you are not getting paid, then you are really dumb man…[/quote]
Are you saying some of the green posters here are getting paid to do so…interesting… :laughing:

Everyone knows we post because of belief, we’re not Chinese…

Because Chinese have less status than Taiwanese or WGR in your opinion?

[quote=“kungwan2000”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
As an average American, I think Japan, China, and India should bear more of the burden of ensuring stability in the region.
[/quote]

I thought you said you were an “average Taiwanese”? :ponder:[/quote]
Yes unheard of, a Taiwanese who can also be an American…

Thank goodness I don’t hold a gov’t position. Might be accused by being a “low class American” making fun of Taiwanese… :laughing:

Because Chinese have less status than Taiwanese or WGR in your opinion?[/quote]

No, everyone knows that Chinese who posts like you gets paid…

Those people also believe the world is flat and evolution and fake…in summation they are idiots.

You’re probably one of the biggest Sinophobes on the site. You don’t like it when the Chinese call you a WGR.

Do you secretly want to be Chinese?

:laughing:

Because Chinese have less status than Taiwanese or WGR in your opinion?[/quote]

No, everyone knows that Chinese who posts like you gets paid…[/quote]

So? it’s not like those Chinese people are posting just for the money, or saying something against their belief. It’s something they would’ve done anyway. Don’t get jealous just because they’re getting paid and you aren’t.

Don’t worry, if someone would want to pay me to put garbage on a forum I would reply no… I don’t sell myself for some stupid ideals… But then again, I’m not Chinese, and ideals over there always come from someone above, not from own intelligence.

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“kungwan2000”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
As an average American, I think Japan, China, and India should bear more of the burden of ensuring stability in the region.
[/quote]

I thought you said you were an “average Taiwanese”? :ponder:[/quote]
Yes unheard of, a Taiwanese who can also be an American…

Thank goodness I don’t hold a gov’t position. Might be accused by being a “low class American” making fun of Taiwanese… :laughing:[/quote]

Obviously, you don’t need help from anyone else to form that opinion of you… :wink:

You’re assuming Chinese people don’t actually hold the belief they’re expressing, and that’s just not true. When people like me say, for example, that we’re against TI, we actually mean it from our own intelligence. How is someone selling himself if he’s expressing his true opinion?

You’re assuming Chinese people don’t actually hold the belief they’re expressing, and that’s just not true. When people like me say, for example, that we’re against TI, we actually mean it from our own intelligence. How is someone selling himself if he’s expressing his true opinion?[/quote]

I envy you all making a living doing what you love. :laughing: