Staying ahead of The Kid

I speak a lot of Chinese with my wife. Why? Because she was the only woman I ever dated who never said “let’s speak English”, instead she said “Ah, your Chinese is better than my English, let’s speak Chinese.” That made her different from the English lesson seeking girls out there. She couldn’t give a toss about English, and I love her for it, she loves me and not English. I’m not the trophy English speaker boyfriend / husband that many others get trapped into. Not saying you guys are, but some are that way, girlfriends at least.

So, it was a habit that was established. Yes, she speaks English with my son sometimes, and I have to admit that most of his English she taught him.

You guys are really making me think about this… what a great thread. Thanks MT

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]ISecond. The concept that Dad speaks one and Mom speaks the other is errant nonesense. It’s failed every time I’ve seen it applied. The kids either don’t speak English at all, or have a bastardized sound that your bushiban kids make on a bad speaking day. You just can’t provide enough language input from one person to make it feasible.

However, if anyone is out there who has used the “one parent, one language plan” and succeded, post here and I’ll happily eat crow. I’m for whatever works! (But be honest, ok? I mean native level!)
[/quote]

Some definite qualifications, but it’s worked happily enough for us. If you mean true native level then your way is the way to go. Still what we did worked. My wife’s English was not good enough to make your suggestion a serious possibility. Anyway your native tongue is your native tongue. I can’t see not speaking it to your own kid, but that’s just my opinion.

By five my daughter could speak English. Native level? no, but nothing like the bastardized bushiban english you describe. she could speak, read pretty damn well too. After that she went to the American school, her English was good enough to get in, if she had needed ESL help we would have been on a waiting list. Now in third grade she’s fluent. Also fluent Chinese and Taiwanese. her English reading and writing are great, she can read/write a bit of Chinese but not much.

My 2-year old i surpassing her i think, after a 7-week stay back home this summer her english improved by leaps and bounds. i wouldn’t say native level but bottom line is she speaks, her taiwanese is better now though. just a few words of chinese.