Accommodation - B&B/Homestay | Booking on Hotels/Booking/Agoda

It seems the major booking sites are absolutely littered with B&B’s and Homestays. I have never stayed at either before; I have stayed at Airbnb’s where I rent the entire place, but never just renting a room like this.

Have any of you tried these? It seems to me like as a foreigner you may have to adapt a bit more and interact a bit more than at a hotel where they’d leave you alone, and perhaps endure more rules like when you can be back, etc.?

Any other pros/cons?

These are more plentiful in more remote parts of Taiwan (where you might not have many/any hotel options) but there’s not a huge deal more interaction with the hosts in my experience. You might have to make a deposit or pay the full amount by bank transfer in advance but you can check the payment terms before you book. You should also be able to see other limitations. I haven’t encountered curfews but sometimes the check-in windows are more limited.

Other than these things, I haven’t found that hosts go out of their way to be intrusive or overbearing. In fact, usually it’s just the opposite.

3 Likes

Regardless of the payment terms on Booking.com etc, I’ve found they will contact you to request a deposit at least, so don’t be surprised.

2 Likes

You don’t have to interact if you’re not in the mood to. They’re Taiwanese, who won’t talk to you if you don’t talk to them, unlike Americans. If anything, the opposite is more a problem. I’ve seen the owner leaving room keys on the dining table for late arrivals before he vanishes. I’ve had to hunt down the owner a few times because I needed extra pillows or had problems with the AC. That’s when you wish you were staying at a hotel.

3 Likes

I thought that said Adoga… I need to get out more often.

2 Likes

From my experience, not really, you can have a small chat when they give you the key but after that no need to interact.

1 Like

I use them all the time. You hit the key points.

Not really any rules, but I have even stayed in a place where I had to let myself in and walk through the house up the stairs to bedroom in similar areas as family and kids. I felt obligated to come home decent hour and be presentable to kids just in case they are up late.

In addition, not speaking Chinese sometimes runs into some confusion. For simple things not a problem, but odd occasions can get frustrating. Like others have said, very typical for them to disappear for awhile or entirely telling you to leave keys somewhere.

In general, everyone is mostly friendly, some are very helpful, some nothing.

Cash is frequently desired or required despite what the internet info says. I’ve never gave a deposit at the B&B places other than whatever it says on booking.com.

1 Like

So a lot of these are people’s actual houses they live in? And presumably then they’ve got maybe 1-3 bedrooms not including the one the owner (or their family) is staying in?

Seems to me so far that it’s potentially more inconvenience than a hotel (meaning not having the support staff there) for a bit of cost savings? Any benefits besides the cost?

I would not say there’s a lot, there’s some, but it’s really hard to know until you arrive.

I read the reviews and comments to try to see if anyone talks about family or something first.

Most of these places are like in the building next door or something and no family.

Exotic locations and great views. Large hotels can’t be set up at many seaside or high mountain locations due to construction and environmental impact restrictions. Small B&Bs are allowed in those places. You’d be hard pressed to find a hotel that allows you to walk out to your balcony with your morning coffee at 2800 meters above sea level over a sea of clouds.

Location, availability, parking, unique experience, new friends, beautiful unique moments.