Staying Dry and Dry

Hi kids. It’s 4 am in Idaho and the wife and kids are sleeping, so we’ll have to be quiet. Use the plastic tumblers if you grab some grog from the liquor cabinet (plastic doesn’t “clink”). There’s cold beer(Kokanee and Pabst {don’t ask - :blush:}) in the garage 'fridge and warm beer in the pantry (Guiness cans).

The wife and I are flying out to Taipei tomorrow for our much anticipated “pre-assignment” visit. We’ll be there for a week. I notice you folks are getting a bit of rain. I think we’ll be outside quite a bit checking out the sights, sounds, smells, housing, schools. How does one stay dry in 90’F on the outside and not sweat to death? You’ll have to cut me some slack on this. We live in a high desert. I have an umbrella somewhere, but from the description of the recent weather, I don’t think that’ll cut it.

TIA. Just leave the glasses by the sink. I’ll get them later.

Rob.

NP - Hair of the Dog, Nazareth, iTunes Radio (Pirate Radio)

It’s pretty variable. We had sideways rain for about 45 minutes this afternoon, but most of the rest of the day was sunny, hot, and humid.

The convenience stores here sell thin, cheap plastic coveralls for raingear. I think they’re NT$30, which is about US$0.88. These are similar to “sauna suits”, but you can tear them off as soon as you get indoors.

Don’t worry about it. Umbrellas and raincoats are sold in every 7-11, which means everywhere.

Most roadsides are full of places to take cover, a lot of sidewalks are actually beneath the building’s 2nd floor.

If you’re going adventuring outside the city, I mean like camping outside, I guess rain pants might come in handy, you can probably pick them up at an outdoorsy store.

If you’re not, don’t give it a moment’s thought.

Don’t worry. Taiwan is a constant balmy 75 degrees with just about 10% humidity.

Well what do you expect? You served me bloody Pabst! :wink:

In your first week here, you can’t stay dry because your body isn’t used to this kind of humidity/heat combination. You’re going to sweat so don’t worry about staying dry because it’s not going to happen.

Dress with very light and simple clothes. If you need to wear nice clothes, I would recommend an undershirt and change regularly when possible. Another trick is to periodically drop into a coffee shop like Starbucks, Dante’s, Barrista, Is Coffee, Ikari Coffee, or stay in a mall to keep dry before venturing out into the stickiness again. If you take the MRT, then you can dilly dally there to dry off before going out. These tricks can help your body adjust.

As for the rain showers, plenty of umbrellas sold everywhere. You might want to bring waterproof walking shoes. That will help a lot.

If you plan your day right, there is no need to spend more than 5min exposed to ambient weather conditions. Simply move from one AC environment to another. Example: Home to radio cab 30sec. Cab to office 30sec. Go to get lunch 1min, Come back from lunch 1min. Go to 7-11 for break in afternoon 1min. Come back 1min. Office to radio cab 30sec. Cab to home 30sec.

If you take the MRT this est. may double to 10min.

If you plan your day right, there is no need to spend more than 5min exposed to ambient weather conditions. Simply move from one AC environment to another. Example: Home to radio cab 30sec. Cab to office 30sec. Go to get lunch 1min, Come back from lunch 1min. Go to 7-11 for break in afternoon 1min. Come back 1min. Office to radio cab 30sec. Cab to home 30sec.

If you take the MRT this est. may double to 10min.

Another thing, don’t move as fast as you might normally in the US. I tend to move fast, walk fast when I go from place to place. You do that here, you’ll soak yourself. So, move at the same pace as the locals.

[quote=“sandman”]Don’t worry. Taiwan is a constant balmy 75 degrees with just about 10% humidity.

Well what do you expect? You served me bloody Pabst! :wink:[/quote]

Dammit, someone always grabs the Pabst - then bitches about it! Same thing happens when I leave a bottle of MD 20/20 or tin of dog treats out. They just have to try it…

Sandman, look behind the Absolut and Kahlua in the liquor cabinet. There’s a bottle of The Macallan Cask Strength and a bottle of cooking sherry (no label). You pick. Let’s see how you do this time…

Ciao,
Rob.

NP - Weather segment on local news - looks like it’s going to piss down here while we’re gone.

[quote=“jplowman”]Don’t worry about it. … raincoats are sold in every 7-11, which means everywhere.

[/quote]

Yeah, but in “American Big Size”? Actually, I’m not that big for around here. But how many 5’8" 190lb guys are running around Taipei looking for rain gear in convenience stores? If nothing else, I could tear the corners off of a Hefty Bag for me arms and puch a hole in the bottom for me melon and wear that.

Crap! They have Hefty Bags, right? Damn, I’m not even out of the chute on this deal and I’m being tested by the Gods of Precipitation and Outerware. :smiley:

Just so we’re clear, I’m not freaking out. I’m just having a little fun.

Oyasumi nasai,
Rob.

NP - 2004 World Series of Poker Final Table, ESPN

Here’s the deal. Lightweight shirt and pants are ideal. The 7-11 raincoats are actually more like ponchos with arms and they come in pretty big sizes. They cost around a dollar so if you happen to tear it – just get another. Umbrellas are cheap, too.
Don’t worry about it. And, it hasn’t rained since… erm … yesterday.

And I found the Macallan thanks. Cask strength was a bit stong until I diluted it with the sherry.

You’ll be happy to sweat like a pig; I didn’t sweat at all and it almost killed me last year. :s

Liar!!! It has rained all day - I had one of my jaunts to Tauchung and back, and it rained all the time…

I am 181lb and 6ft - those 7-11 ponchos are OK for me. Tend to dissolve if it rains hard…

If you are a big bloke and plan on riding a scooter, you should bring rain-gear. I haven’t found anything here that fits me.

Not true anymore. After years of too-short raincoats on the scooter, last week I bought a 4XL size from the local shit shop. It comes down to my bloody ankles. I have to be careful not to trip over the damn thing. I’m pretty chuffed about it actually. Just 400NT. And the booties to go over my shoes cost 119NT. So now I can stay pretty much 100% dry on the scooter, if I get caught out in the rain.

Brian

[quote=“sandman”]
And I found the Macallan thanks. Cask strength was a bit stong until I diluted it with the sherry.[/quote]

You’re killing me… :noway:

Well kids, thanks for the help. We’re off to the airport. We’ll be there in about 30 hours. Will let you know how it goes.

Rob.

[quote=“rtc_id”][quote=“sandman”]
And I found the Macallan thanks. Cask strength was a bit stong until I diluted it with the sherry.[/quote]

You’re killing me… :noway:

Well kids, thanks for the help. We’re off to the airport. We’ll be there in about 30 hours. Will let you know how it goes.

Rob.[/quote]
Have a safe trip, grampa! And remember, you promised not to ask the stewardesses to pull your finger any more!