Staying without Studying or Working, Securing more Permanent Status/ Healthcare

After a preliminary search for information on this, it seems my case is slightly unusual. I’m here on 90 day multiple entry visitor visa valid for four years. After the extensions, I must leave briefly to HK or wherever each 90 days, but am otherwise legally squared away to stay for several years. I am not here to work for a Taiwanese employer nor study full-time. My question is, what options are there, if any, for obtaining national healthcare coverage or otherwise acquiring an ARC. The need to exit the country every 3 months is of course one price for the route I’ve initially chosen. The vast majority of forum members are here for work, study, or with their significant other in or headed towards marriage, so there’s less info on such a case as mine.

I work for myself, and continue to do so wherever in the world I am. My businesses are registered in the UK and US. At some point I may subcontract services, officially or unofficially, from someone Taiwanese, possibly even hiring at some point. I mention this only as there may be a route to improving the situation as an employer. But there will be legal constraints to this as well, before changing my visa status.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Just had a brief chat with the service advertised here on the forum regarding transferring/starting a business in Taiwan. When using the service to handle paperwork and filing, apparently this runs some 45,000nt plus another 8000 direct to government agency. A work permit and ARC can be obtained via this route. Words of warning on the pitfalls to this approach?

We’re here through the route you mention. There are additional expenses that Vincent may not have mentioned. In order to register a business you must have a business address, but you probably won’t be able to register your home address, either because your apartment is not allowed to be used as a business or because your landlord isn’t declaring your rent as income. So you must rent a business ‘address’ that’s really nothing more than an address for tax purposes.

Your health insurance will cost you more than an employed person because you have to pay the business’ contribution, too. Most people say basic health insurance isn’t enough and you should take out private insurance.

To renew your business ARC you have to have a minimum yearly turnover. I think it’s NT$ 3,000,000 but you might only have to show this during your second year. There are ways ‘around’ this, that are no doubt wholly illegal.

As well as setting up your ARC, your accountant will need to handle your ongoing accounts, such as VAT, because it’s all in Chinese, for which you’ll pay mmm… I think a few thousand a month.

That’s all we’ve encountered so far, I think.

Thanks for the response. Are you aware of what basic healthcare costs are for the self-employed, a SOHO? Or are you forgoing that to use private insurance, and if so, is it Taiwanese private insurance and what are those costs? I’m originally from the US where healthcare costs are astronomical, so just attempting to obtain a sense of what they are here for a private business owner or individual.

Having a separate business space would genuinely be attractive, but my needs would be minimal in terms of space, and hopefully a creative entrepreneurs’ collective space could be found, a shared area for young start-ups, perhaps subsidized/supported by the government.

Will pm you.

[quote=“silas”]
Having a separate business space would genuinely be attractive, but my needs would be minimal in terms of space, and hopefully a creative entrepreneurs’ collective space could be found, a shared area for young start-ups, perhaps subsidized/supported by the government.[/quote]

The place you’re referring to is Starbucks.