back making 560. It’s depressing.

So, I was thinking of taking students and going to another school and
have them pay me $1500 an hour for providing all the new students
by stealing students from my current school. I’ve been sick and I
was thinking wouldn’t it be nice to be paid when I’m sick. Would
it be nice to be paid decently, when I know my boss is making
$3200 an hour on most children’s classes. I just try to keep calm,
knowing that you can’t start some kind of union here. Most teachers
here last a few months or a year and their gone.

Freshair.

I would hope you have the protection of an ARC when you jump schools and steal students, otherwise the first school might go and bring johnny law down on your head.

Sounds unethical and likely to get your ass deported. Rule number one of expat life in Taiwan: don’t piss off anyone with more connections than you.

It’s been tried before and it doesn’t work.

At least in Kaohsiung a lot of the school owners know each other and there are some unwritten rules that we all follow.

If someone came to me with this “offer” I would turn them down because some day they might try do it to me.

[quote=“freshair”]So, I’ve been kicking around a lot of ideas with friends on how to
make more money.

Basically I came here 20 years ago making $350 or so, and I came
back making 560. It’s depressing.

So, I was thinking of taking students and going to another school and
have them pay me $1500 an hour for providing all the new students
by stealing students from my current school. I’ve been sick and I
was thinking wouldn’t it be nice to be paid when I’m sick. Would
it be nice to be paid decently, when I know my boss is making
$3200 an hour on most children’s classes. I just try to keep calm,
knowing that you can’t start some kind of union here. Most teachers
here last a few months or a year and their gone.

Freshair.[/quote]

What is wrong with your boss making what he is making? He took the risks…let him reap the rewards.

If you are unhappy with the money you are making or you think it is unfair, then change your job.

A lot of people may not believe this, but many language schools are not turning huge profits. For a lot of schools, 85%(or more) of revenue goes right to expenses, with the majority of that going to teacher wages. Stealing students could mean the end of a school if there isn’t enough cash flow. I guess someone with a chip on his shoulder might like seeing someone’s business completely destroyed, I don’t know. What a terrible thing to think about.

yup

I pay [color=red]A LOT[/color] of money every month in teachers’ salaries.

Durin’s Bane wrote [quote]I pay A LOT of money every month in teachers’ salaries.[/quote]

Yeah, is that why you get bad-tempered for a few days every month?

Yeah, is that why you get bad-tempered for a few days every month?[/quote]

You betcha!

Money in…good.

Money out…bad.

I should try to pull that stunt that the YMCA did years back when they got US college students to teach 40 hours a week for $20,000NT a month by telling them “come and live overseas for a year and experience a different culture”. Great scam. :notworthy:

Been done eh?..Damn!..another of my schemes foiled before birth… :smiling_imp:

Been done eh?..Damn!..another of my schemes foiled before birth… :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Some of the sorriest faces I have ever seen where on those YMCA teachers when they were informed of the real situation here.

“Experience a different culture” my hairy red arse. :laughing:

Durin’s Bane wrote [quote]Some of the sorriest faces I have ever seen where on those YMCA teachers when they were informed of the real situation here.

“Experience a different culture” my hairy red arse. [/quote]

They got to experience Christianity with Chinese Characteristics :slight_smile:

[quote=“almas john”]Durin’s Bane wrote [quote]Some of the sorriest faces I have ever seen where on those YMCA teachers when they were informed of the real situation here.

“Experience a different culture” my hairy red arse. [/quote]

They got to experience Christianity with Chinese Characteristics :slight_smile:[/quote]

They also got to experience Chinese business practices the hard way.

Taking it in the Can 101: Intro in Taiwanese Business Practices.

:laughing:

A lot of things would be nice, but have they broken your contract?

Wouldn’t it be nice not to listen to people whining because they are making 5 times the minimum wage because they happened to be lucky enough to be born in an English speaking country. The funny thing is that you rarely see good teachers complain, it’s usually the lazy ones.