Steel-cut oats aka Irish oatmeal

That’s it! Steel-cut Oatmeal is aka Irish Oatmeal :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip - I’ll see if I can swing over there next week :sunglasses:

You might want to be a bit quicker than that, as I said, there were only two packages left and they were on sale…
Most likely end of the line as with so many other things they stock up and that doesn’t sell…
You can find whole oats from some health food brand here though, you could always just stick that in the blender :wink:

Anyone? Thanks

I’ve looked for those for years. Never seen them here.

[color=#008040]I have appended some relevant replies excised from another thread on [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/traditonal-old-fashioned-oats-oatmeal-not-instant-quick/40948/11 or old-fashioned oats[/url]. --DB, Mod[/color]

CitySuper seems to have them from time to time, as per the thread Dragonbones linked to. I’ve seen it there are least half a dozen times, but it’s not cheap. It’s usually located in the muesli isle.

I remember seeing them at Jason’s (at Taipei 101)

I saw some at Wellman’s up in Tianmu this past Sunday.

3/2011 edit: still there

6/2011 edit: saw them at Jason’s, Bob’s Red Mill brand, 680g for $175

Wellman’s is long gone. Does anyone have any other suggestions for where to get Steel-cut Oats in Taipei?

There’s a phone number here you can call to ask about specific Bob’s products

http://www.bobsredmill.com.tw/?page_id=73

This seems available

https://tw.iherb.com/pr/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Steel-Cut-Oats-Whole-Grain-24-oz-680-g/89508?refid=85ab75a7-ebaa-4ded-8586-ff3da903e3b3&reftype=rec&rec=iherb-pdp-related

1 Like

In Hsinchu, the last time I was in the City Super that’s located in the basement of Big City Mall, I saw Bob’s steel-cut oats available (many other items available, too).

This was early December, so not sure about today, but I would venture that any City Super carries them, too.

In fact, I may go back soon and see if they’re carrying Bob’s spelt flour (I always check). Expensive af but it makes terrific gravy.

Jason’s on Anhe

Thanks @tempogain, just ordered some. I bet they’re cheaper than any of the locally available options listed above.

1 Like

Saw some at a grocery store that appeared to get all its stock from Costco (over half the stuff in the store was Kirkland’s). Have you tried Costco?

I’m pretty sure they’re not in Costco. I couldn’t find them in the Taipei 101 Jason’s. I didn’t check the Anhe Jason’s that @Rocket recommended here and in the other thread linked below, and instead ordered from iHerb.

See also this thread (mods, these two should probably be merged):

Just got my order of oats from iHerb! Thank you again for all the suggestions

1 Like

We need a regular supplier of steel cut oats in Taiwan. Desperately.
I’m bringing back over 20kg a year from the Uk. Ridiculous.

1 Like

I have a sneaking suspicion they’re basically not allowed here, because no international distributor meets Taiwan’s unusually strict standards for pesticide residue (see what I posted here).

Australians here - what brands of steel-cut oats are sold there? I think Australia may be the only place with standards as strict as Taiwan’s.

Good question. I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue isn’t regulation but demand. Lots of grain-starch substitutes in Taiwan, one of which dominates all Asian cultures.

Thank you. I tried steel-cut oatmeal from Dr OKO brand. Prepared in some chicken soup stock and diced green scallions.

Nice and chewy. I like them a lot!

Steel-cut oatmeal apparently has Beta-Glucans that lower cholesterol levels, decrease inflammation and help protect against cardiovascular issues. All good for people in their 40s and up. Also found in many mushrooms.

[/quote]