"Step outside posh boy": Violence in UK election campaign?

OK, so the story is a poisson d’avril, but does anyone else think a Brown vs Cameron vs [whoever the Lib Dem bloke is] in a cage fight would be more dignified than the standard political campaign? I’d be more likely to tune in for that than the leadership debates.

That’s bad, but not as dangerous as Sarah Palin’s calls to arms.

[quote]On her Facebook page, Palin provides a map of the United States with a gun crosshair over each of the states of the Democrats that Palin is targeting on her list.

Palin’s use of the words “reload”, “aim” and “fire” conjures up violence in what is already being called a “hit list” post on Facebook.

On Twitter: “Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: “Don’t Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!” Pls see my Facebook page.”

On Facebook: “We’re going to fire them and send them back to the private sector, which has been shrinking thanks to their destructive government-growing policies … We’ll aim for these races and many others. This is just the first salvo in a fight to elect people across the nation who will bring common sense to Washington.”[/quote]

Number of posts it takes on a thread critical of any country that is not the USA to turn into a thread slamming the USA = 1.
:roflmao:

Who slammed the US? :s

And I was so looking forward to adding this one myself, without the give-away. It might even work!

I rather like these ones though.

Froot loop, those are great! Especially the last three.

A bit of a resemblance, would you say?

[quote=“Taffy”]

OK, so the story is a poisson d’avril, but does anyone else think a Brown vs Cameron vs [whoever the Lib Dem bloke is] in a cage fight would be more dignified than the standard political campaign? I’d be more likely to tune in for that than the leadership debates.[/quote]

Brown has only got one eye, I believe the left eye is missing so I would advise Cameron to go for a right hook to the temple followed by a take down. Then while on top to scratch his other eye. Contest over game, set match Cameron.
By the way Prescot is over rated as a fighter. He got a right hook in that failed to knock the opponent out. The fight was then broke up fast which was in my opinion lucky for Prescott. Now if you want real labour or left wing hard men then Arthur Scargill was without doubt the hardest having a black belt in judo and boxing experience. He once was attacked in the pub by two scab miners. Scargill beat em both up unaided :popcorn: Trust me miners are hard my grandad was one and he later joined the RAF and became RAF boxing champion. They are hard bastards them miners so all the more impressive what Scargill achieved.

come on then if ya think ur hard enough

The only violence I would be afraid of is that someone plays a Madrid election blast II in the UK… again. Now that would really be horrible, but far more plausible.

http://www.mydavidcameron.com

The following however, is alarmingly real! The Conservatives were criticised for hiding away their black candidates, particularly in constituencies where the BNP are strong. They promptly whipped out the leaflet on the right, showing three candidates together. Then The Observer discovered the picture on the left, clearly the same image of the guy on the left.

Pandering to racists. And then airbrushing their leaflets and lying about it.

http://www.mydavidcameron.com

The following however, is alarmingly real! The Conservatives were criticised for hiding away their black candidates, particularly in constituencies where the BNP are strong. They promptly whipped out the leaflet on the right, showing three candidates together. Then The Observer discovered the picture on the left, clearly the same image of the guy on the left.

Pandering to racists. And then airbrushing their leaflets and lying about it.[/quote]

I’d say conservative party itself is not racist at all nor is it prejudice against any religion. It was under the Tories that Britain and Margaret Thatcher went to war to help Bosnian Muslims. As for their supporters yes some may well be but from what I have been reading the BNP has far more support from the “Old Labour” working class than the Tory vote. However in some constituencies where there is a larger problem with poverty or shall we say more working / lower middle class then yes they might pull this trick. The labour party is the only party out of the two that has actually lost council seats to the BNP not the Tories to my knowledge. UK independence party is more of a threat to the Tories.

I’m sure other parties and the Tories might also consider brushing out white people from their leaflets in areas such as Birmingham. No ?

It’s not like they air-brushed somebody out. Bad PR though, they should have taken the time to get them together for a picture.

Just a point of information - the Bosnian Civil War (1992-1995) started after Maggie left as PM (1979-1990).

Just a point of information - the Bosnian Civil War (1992-1995) started after Maggie left as PM (1979-1990).[/quote][/quote][/quote]
oh yeah it was under the Tories but Thatcher was not leader when the allies went to war
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1350&dat=19930418&id=Yn8UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TAMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4133,5030846

[quote=“fenlander”]
I’d say conservative party itself is not racist at all nor is it prejudice against any religion. It was under the Tories that Britain and Margaret Thatcher went to war to help Bosnian Muslims.[/quote]

What can I say? Apart from the most glaring factual error (akin to saying it was Reagan), Bosnian Muslims are broadly south European Slavs, who converted to Islam about 500 years ago. Their neighbours, the Serbs are also south slavs. Race was no more or less an issue than it would have been if we were defending the Czechs from the Slovaks.

I very much doubt it. They didn’t airbrush anyone out (whatever I may have implied). They avoided having the black candidate in the election literature (pandering to racism - I’m not accusing them of being racist). Then to support their claim that they were not pandering to racists, they rapidly produced a leaflet with the black candidate photoshopped in. That is dishonest in spirit, if not strictly or literally.

[quote=“fruitloop”][quote=“fenlander”]
I’d say conservative party itself is not racist at all nor is it prejudice against any religion. It was under the Tories that Britain and Margaret Thatcher went to war to help Bosnian Muslims.

What can I say? Apart from the most glaring factual error (akin to saying it was Reagan), Bosnian Muslims are broadly south European Slavs, who converted to Islam about 500 years ago. Their neighbours, the Serbs are also south slavs. Race was no more or less an issue than it would have been if we were defending the Czechs from the Slovaks.[/quote][/quote]

Yah they are slavs Thatcher and most of her party are church of England Anglo Saxon so yes they are a different “race” from the slavs well spotted. Rather a glaring difference but none the less you are right. Thatcher was the one widely accepted as responsible for starting action to get intervention so no it was not akin to saying Reagan. I said under the Tories that was correct by the time intervention happened as pushed for by Thatcher there was a new leader and yes it was not Thatcher correct you are right I was wrong well done but as I rightly said it was still the tories.

So what is your point about the photo shopping ? That it was not totally honest so vote labour ?

My point was, that the Bosnian Muslims are Europeans, and racially indistinct from their fellow yugoslavs (south Slavs). So siding with one side rather than the other in the Bosnian and wider Yugoslav conflicts had nothing to do with race. My point was that they are not particularly different from us, not all Muslims have dark skin, funny mustaches or tea towels on their heads (as if it mattered).

You could say Slavs are distinct from northern Europeans, western European or southern Europeans, but that is besides the point and ethnicity is at best highly complex and at worst a load of bollocks.

You’re right that Thatcher did lobby for western intervention.

Back to the main point. You are right, the places the BNP are challenging are traditional Labour white, working class areas that feel disenfranchised by New Labour and threatened by immigration. The Tories aim to pick up these disenchanted voters, and showing black candidates would not help them do this, so they hide them away, pandering to the racists.

They should proudly state to all that they are a one nation conservative party, inclusive of all Britons who share their ideas - and if you don’t like blacks, go vote for a party that shares your ideas. It’s rather like Taiwanese language schools saying they’re not racist but only a white teacher will do because the parents think only white people are real native speakers of proper English. It’s not us, we have no choice if we want to make money/win votes.

So they were wrong to avoid advertising the fact that they had a black candidate.

Trying to cover their arses by creating a fake photo just appears shabby, half-arsed and amateurish. I think it is in line with some of their other populist policies. Shallow and not very convincing.

I’m no fan of New Labour and I don’t believe any government going on too long is a good thing. But a Labour government would have to be very bad (which this government isn’t anyway) for me to prefer the Tories. They’ve done plenty of good things. Just not as many as they could have done. And they pandered to the neo-liberal economic consensus when there was a genuine opportunity for real systemic change. They are tired, but that can change.

I’d go for a Labour/Lib Dem coalition, probably needing a new PM to make it a credible new government.

Howard Dean summed it up nicely. The British are desperate for change. But they don’t want the Tories.

Sorry, I focused on the race bit, not noticing that you also said it’s not prejudiced against any religion. My point was that Bosnian Muslims are more different religiously than they are ethnically, and that they’re not rag-heads or A-rabs. I’m sure you didn’t need me to tell you that though.

Sorry, I focused on the race bit, not noticing that you also said it’s not prejudiced against any religion. My point was that Bosnian Muslims are more different religiously than they are ethnically, and that they’re not rag-heads or A-rabs. I’m sure you didn’t need me to tell you that though.[/quote]

No actually to be really honest I did not think the Bosnian Muslims were Slavs . I was just playing with words. :thumbsup: But now I know the truth as I checked what you said on the net thumbsup:

I have never voted Tory I also would not vote new labour. In fact I probably won’t vote at all as I don’t even know who the Lib Dem leader is anymore. :thumbsup:

I was just saying that the Tories are often dubbed racists whereas in my real life experiences I have come across more white working class labour voters that are viciously racist than the Upper or upper middle classe Tory voter. Although perhaps the latter can hide it better. :ponder:

The link below is an interesting report. I wonder how much labour are adjusting their campaigns to compete with the BNP in some areas or perhaps not compete but at least attempt to reduce damage to their chances of winning in marginal constituencies

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/who+voted+bnp+and+why/3200557