Step up converter

Similar topic, but this time the appliance is a full size oven. The specs calls for a 2800watt / 220v. As such the transformer / converter that i need should be quite huge.
Would anyone know in this forum where I could get such transformer?
Any advice that I should consider with regards to this appliance?
Thanks!

You need to get an electrician to come around, they’ll wire it in from the mains (they have to change a fuse as well). No need for a transformer, just make sure you get hold a good electrician and it’ll be done in a couple of hours.

[quote=“katseng”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]Why would you need polarity keying? There’s no such thing in most of Europe where the Schuko plug is used.

Wiring the ground to the neutral would cause a short, so that wouldn’t work…[/quote]

I’m really surpised about this kind of half wisdom. :fume:
If you don’t know what you’re talking about, please don’t give the people here wrong advises, because that can be dangerous.
Before the so called “Schuko” (Schutz Kontakt with dedicated PE (PG)) was introduced in Europe, all outlets had a connection between PE (PG)and neutral (that’s a so called “Klassische Nullung” or they had a connection in the distribution board called “moderne Nullung” - in german - ).
And that’s still better than nothing, because the neutral is always grounded at the powerplant.[/quote]

Correct, and well said. And this isn’t about European standards, or even Germany, as of course you know. It is about the way electricity is generated and supplied throughout the world - the same principles. In downstream household supplies Neutral is of course always referenced to Earth, and it is standard for the generating station to supply its own Earth to the final step-down transformers, which in Europe is supplied from the 22kV boxes to individual premises. This is in addition to the real Earth copper pipe inserted into the ground at the building, and a divergence between the two represents an Earth fault (or very unlikely, a Neutral fault at the generator). Which is why you have two Neutrals on the supplier side of the board, both connected to Earth. You can check the quality of your Earth simply in your own home in Taiwan by measuring the potential difference (voltage) between Live and Earth/Neutral at the supply, and the difference between Live and your water pipes (or something else well grounded for example a middle-aged woman) using a common or garden multimeter. Obviously there are better tools for Earth testing, but this will prove to you at least that Earth and Neutral are connected by design.

In all seriousness, if people don’t know what the term “Protective Neutral Earth” means, they should get in an electrician. In all likelihood it is illegal to dick about with the mains supply unless you are a qualified electrician, and they do exist in Taiwan, and charge a reassuringly large amount of money for their services - I’ve used them and will gladly do so again.