Step up/step down transformer?

It’s slightly larger than the 500W version and was 1800NT in Guanghua.

That’s not a “wall wart”.

Oh ok. My bad. It still covers adjacent sockets due to the J shaped plug though, on the wall side :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I have a 1500VA toroidal transformer here on my bench, which weighs a good 15kg and costs NT$2000 in volume (E-I construction would be cheaper but bigger and slightly less efficient). I know it’s actually 1500VA because I designed it. At 1500W continuous it will reach 60’C, enclosed. At 200W it’s pretty much at ambient temperature.

1 Like

Absolutely, I’m sure there’s a lot of specmanship going on in the commercial market, hence advising to way overspec. A 2000W max lists 1600W safe continuous on this page although I certainly wouldn’t continuous run it at 1600W in my home. The one I have is similar to it. You can see how potentially lethal the lead is.

Ah, I see what you mean. Personally, I’d go by weight in this scenario. It’s a pretty good gauge of the actual continuous rating. If it weighs 5kg or more it’ll probably run a 270W TV :slight_smile:

There’s no way the transformer on that page would deliver 2000W continuous (or even 1600W). A typical 2000VA E-I type transformer would weigh 20-25kg depending on the design operating temperature; says 9.5kg there.

1 Like

Agreed, hence I would not attempt to long term run a 267W (Max) TV on a local commercially available 500W or even 1000W transformer. Go big or go home!

Prices have likely risen a lot since I purchased mine so, depending on the layout of the OP’s home, it might be getting close to the point where running a mains 220V line makes more sense.

You go to the store and ask for about 15 kg of transformer?

2 Likes

Well, you basically pay by the kg, so that would be a reasonable approach…

Optimus Prime is always here to help… to transform your electricity to something that allows you to watch Transformers.

Funfact

In English the movie and the device have the same spelling.

Transformers | Transformers

This is not the case in Russian

Трансформаторы | Трансформеры (movie)

When the first movie came out more than a decade ago, I was of course using the wrong name. Got confused looks from the Russian bootleg DVD seller, telling him I want to buy a movie about the (wrong) transformers :rofl:

1 Like

They do the same in Chinese

變壓器
變形金剛

By the way what do you call a 5 amp transformer that is labeled as a 20 amp transformer?

A Decepticon…

Both basically the same English word, though :slight_smile:

So are we all in agreement that I should get this 500w transformer from B&Q?

https://www.trplus.com.tw/p/000277767

IMO you’ll be OK with that. There’s no way that’s a 500VA transformer, but it will work.

Just keep it somewhere there’s some airflow. It’s totally normal for a transformer to run warm - it will most likely get up to hot-drink temperature (40-something degrees) with your TV load. If you find it’s getting hotter than that, keep the backlight brightness turned down a bit.

Personally I wouldn’t but as it’s B&Q you can easily bring it back up to (a month?) later if it doesn’t suit, check in store.

At most that’s a 400W continuous use and your TV is pulling a max of 267W based on the spec., so not much overhead.

For a little more you can get a 1000 or even 1500W which would give you much more headroom. Go to top floor of GuangHua to buy in person.

Again though, be super careful with that two ended lead it comes with!

1 Like

Got myself a 220 to 110 1000 watts transformer for $1600. Will update once I’ve plugged it in. If you hear in the news that a foreigner blew himself up in Xinzhuang, that’s me.

2 Likes

I didn’t blow up… yet.

Seems to be working well

3 Likes

Weren’t you looking for the opposite?! :wink:

Well I think this one can go both ways

Anyways it works

1 Like