Stephen Miller planning second-term immigration blitz

Remind me why a neo-nazi is in charge of domestic policy again?

2 Likes

Because the President is the least racist person in America.

2 Likes

I wonder how many people here who have immigrated to Taiwan and complain about exclusionary rules against foreigners will applaud whatever xenophobic practices Miller advocates since it’s Trump?

6 Likes

I’m going to guess it’s not zero

6 Likes

Claiming that conservatives are xenophobes who oppose immigration is fake news. I’m a conservative. I’m also an immigrant here in Taiwan. My wife just got her U.S. passport in January after five years of concerted effort and expense. What we oppose is open borders which allow anyone to walk into any country without any documentation or approval process and take advantage of the privileges of citizenship. I certainly didn’t expect to do that here in Taiwan. I went thru a long, time consuming process to become a legal resident and had no sense of entitlement to Taiwan residency.

8 Likes

What Miller wants to do is get rid of birthright citizenship and F1 visas (basically student visas… goodbye ESL teaching industry in the US). That’s a few notches north of just keeping illegal immigrants out of the country, wouldn’t you agree?

The U.S. and Canada are the only first-world countries which allow unconditional birthright citizenship so putting some restrictions on birth tourism would be the norm, not the exception.

4 Likes

What about the F1 visas? And yes, birth tourism is not good. But sometimes there are legitimate cases of non-citizens who settle in the US long term and have a baby and they’d be caught up in such an order. What say you about that?

America’s antiquated immigration rules are silly - 50,000 annual quota for any country from Luxembourg to India. Immigration reform should come before enforcing nonsensical immigration rules.

Yes, conservatives often say “we only oppose open borders or unconditional immigration”. But when pressed with details it really becomes “we want to make immigration as difficult as possible”. Such as reducing means by which a person could legally immigrate to the USA or the visas available.

If every country’s conservative gets their way, there would be no such thing as exchange students, tourists, or studying overseas. Other than the select few diplomats there would be no foreign citizens in any country. That is the ideal situation for them.

2 Likes

I say it would be reasonable and compassionate to give long term residents citizenship if they broke no laws themselves. If the laws are unjust then change them. If they’re just, them enforce them.

Okay. Thank you for giving a reasonable and civil answer.

1 Like

I spent my entire childhood in the US.

Didn’t help that my parents brought me there illegally and didn’t even tell me.

But the US government did not care.

Given how much support DACA gets with Republicans (spoiler: not much) I have no faith that it will ever be changed. Justice is no longer something the US government cares about.

If either one of your parents was a U.S. citizen you’re automatically a U.S. citizen. If not, what country including Taiwan would give you citizenship if your parents were in the country illegally?

1 Like

My dad is a naturalized citizen. I do not think that counts for anything. Though immigration was trying to figure that out while I was in their custody.

All it does is allow you to get a green card, does not make you a citizen unless you were a minor (like less than 18) when they naturalized.

But stories like this are everywhere and it’s not fair to deport someone for that. But according to Republicans, “some of them might be gang members”.

Most reasonable countries would have granted citizenship, or at least permanent residency based on humanitarian grounds. Key word on reasonable.

This is the problem with US politics. You have to choose one or the other, and you have to accept the whole package.

It means you can’t be pro gun and support gay marriage and better protection for immigrants. If you like immigrants, liberal policies, etc. you must also want to ban all civilian gun ownership. Or you can support guns but must be pro big business and all that. So most Americans just vote against something rather than for something. The polarization has now made it so that everything is politics.

And the only one who suffers is America and freedom.

You think separating children from their families is a good thing? It happened under previous administrations due to logistics, but Miller has been explicit about using it as a deterrent.

1 Like

I think separating children from their families is foolish and evil. I would build a secure southern border between the U.S. and that part of the world awash in cartel violence with the highest murder rates on the planet. I would also come up with a creative solution for providing help to anyone who showed up at this secure border short of just letting them walk in.

I’m just trying to remember the part in WW2 where Nazis were tolerated.