Steps to evict my tenant - 8 months non-payment!

Hi everyone,

Im an overseas taiwanese who decided to rent house out (in Taiwan). We processed and signed a contract through a real state agent to make sure general terms and conditions for renting in Taiwan where applied.

Thing is, tenant started delaying payments, but whenever we called, she would answer the phone, explained and pay few days later. When it happened again, she gave us a miserable excuse of non-payment blaming her bank. Still, we gave her more time, as in the previous ocassion she did keep her word when she said she would pay few days later. But as i dont live in Taiwan, due to work, family etc… months of rent started building up.

I believe the contract states that if the tenant does not pay 2 months in a row, the contract “terminates”? (Im not sure of the proper term to use.) I have contacted the police and they would not intervine.

Please i would really appreciate information regarding landlord&tenants rights in Taiwan, and advise on the best way to handle this situation with the least trips to Taiwan if possible.

Many thanks in advance!

I think you’re going to need to come back to take care of it in person. Then I suggest you hire a house rental service (not a real estate agent or rental agent). They will not only take care of renting it out, but pretty much everything else like cleaning in between tenants, taking care of the bills, opening doors when tenants get locked out, purchasing items, internet and cable TV installation, and most importantly collecting rent for you and depositing the balance minus their fee in your account on time.

And why did you let it go to 8 months? That’s just crazy. Come back and evict that squatter ASAP. Hopefully your house isn’t already trashed.

This is not your place, by any chance?

I had a very, VERY annoying neighbour who I believe that never paid his rent (perhaps the deposit). I think the landlord even turned off water and electricity… but the guy kept living there for months, smoking one cigarette after another and having discussions with his bettle-nut girl looking gf… who always ended up crying and shouting things that my gf never wanted to tanslate :smiley:

My gf said that in Taiwan is very difficult to kick out a tenant from your house… don’t know what the law says, though.

[quote=“Funfun”]Hi everyone,

Im an overseas taiwanese who decided to rent house out (in Taiwan). We processed and signed a contract through a real state agent to make sure general terms and conditions for renting in Taiwan where applied.

Thing is, tenant started delaying payments, but whenever we called, she would answer the phone, explained and pay few days later. When it happened again, she gave us a miserable excuse of non-payment blaming her bank. Still, we gave her more time, as in the previous ocassion she did keep her word when she said she would pay few days later. But as I don’t live in Taiwan, due to work, family etc… months of rent started building up.

I believe the contract states that if the tenant does not pay 2 months in a row, the contract “terminates”? (Im not sure of the proper term to use.) I have contacted the police and they would not intervine.

Please I would really appreciate information regarding landlord&tenants rights in Taiwan, and advise on the best way to handle this situation with the least trips to Taiwan if possible.

Many thanks in advance![/quote]

Just curious, what city is this place in?

Kaikai34, thanks for your suggestion, i will get more information on house rental services.

Charlie, nooo! thankfully not my house!!:smiley: thats awful…hopefully not my house in the near future either.

Jesus80, someone suggested us to cut water and electricity too, but is that legal? We would like to end this in a “friendly” way to avoid damages in the house.

Gryphone, its in Tainan, any suggestions? :slight_smile:

Im afraid i will probably have to go through courthearing, does anyone know how long does it normally take? the longer the process is… more unpaid months.

[quote=“Funfun”]Kaikai34, thanks for your suggestion, i will get more information on house rental services.

Charlie, nooo! thankfully not my house!!:smiley: thats awful…hopefully not my house in the near future either.

Jesus80, someone suggested us to cut water and electricity too, but is that legal? We would like to end this in a “friendly” way to avoid damages in the house.

Im afraid i will probably have to go through courthearing, does anyone know how long does it normally take? the longer the process is… more unpaid months.[/quote]

If it’s not your house, what business do you have renting it out? Sounds like you’re subletting in order to avoid paying for the time you’re not living in a place you rented.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“Funfun”]Kaikai34, thanks for your suggestion, i will get more information on house rental services.

Im afraid i will probably have to go through courthearing, does anyone know how long does it normally take? the longer the process is… more unpaid months.[/quote]

If it’s not your house, what business do you have renting it out? Sounds like you’re subletting in order to avoid paying for the time you’re not living in a place you rented.[/quote]
How did you determine it’s not the OP’s house? I don’t see that indicated anywhere.
EDIT: Oh, I see. When the OP said “thankfully not my house”, s/he was referring to the news video that Charlie posted.