Stereotypes in Taiwan about other races / nationalities

Yea, so they all assume being able to emigrate to the states is like winning the lottery.

Yes houses are easier to buy because they have a lot of space, but don’t realize that the zoning laws there only allow single family homes, America is extremely car dependent, and when there’s no more space for everyone to live in single family homes, zoning laws or nimby activists prevents any higher density properties than apartment complexes from being built, and you end up with out of control property prices, taxes, and rent, leading to massive homelessness. Just imagine having the same population density of Taiwan but only properties that exist or are allowed are single family homes, then you’d have massive homelessness here too.

I read 1/4 of the homeless have a full time job but they couldn’t make enough to afford a house.

They are ridiculous in this regard. At least it is somewhat true for the states but they think the same of most European countries, which is patently false. Their comments are probably also enhanced by your constant bitching about salaries here though, as I don’t get them since I started working in the science park :joy:.

Swarthy, of unsure provenance

:white_check_mark:

:x:

Portuguese white, Lebanese white; people from these countries say I look like their relatives

But in Xinjiang, Morocco, and Saudi Arabia, I was assumed to be local. In India I think my clothes and backpack gave me away, can’t recall anyone mistaking me for Indian. But in Canada people have thought I was one kind of Indian or the other!

5 Likes

I’ve heard that in certain parts of china there are people who look almost indistinguishable from westerners, but they are Chinese and speaks Chinese too. Not sure what part though

That would be

Where they even have ethnic Russians

1 Like

Not true. Taiwanese people think Turkmens, Kazakhs, etc. look “western. Dumbest shit I’ve ever heard.

Edit: ok. Mostly not true. There are very very few people like that but most are just mixed Caucasian and Asian that look “western” to Taiwanese and Chinese people.

Spanish, more than Swedish. Let me see if I can find a link about hair and eye color…

Gingers:

Colored eyes (and apparently, magnificent eyebrows):
http://www.anthropol.ac.cn/EN/abstract/abstract1734.shtml

I can feel your pain man.

I’m an Indian as well who chose to move from SFO–>TPE (and gave up a US work visa). People here think I’m insane :joy:

It’s human nature to compare the weaknesses of one thing with the strengths of another thing. People usually compare salaries and wages with the US and assume life would be better there because of more wealth. They rarely consider crime, safety, health insurance and other major American issues because those are non-issues here in Taiwan.

Regarding the racist comments, I stop talking to people that have such backward ignorant viewpoints. These people exist in every culturally homogenous country and it’s better to ignore them.

9 Likes

I used to date a Kazakh girl. She certainly looked pretty “Western” for an Asian! Well, she looked Slavic, which I guess is technically “Eastern”.

There is a wide range of ethnicities in Kazakhstan, but I’d say the ones who look completely “Asian” (completely non-Slavic) are the rarest.

4 Likes

I cringed.

3 Likes

Heilongjiang and Xinjiang are two places that come to mind.

1 Like

Also work visas or any visas to the us is very onerous to get. I have a friend who’s a highly qualified professional and he said out of all the country he worked in the us is the hardest country to apply for a visa.

Not just Xinjiang. The northeastern parts as well.

Russians are one of the official ethnicities of the PRC. As well as Vietnamese and Koreans.

Would definitely kill to have Russian Beer Cookies. So I am going to make sure I am not banned from China before I have a chance to have them.

5 Likes

There are literally hundreds of thousands of degree-holding highly qualified professionals in various STEM fields applying for visas every year in the US. It’s by far the first choice for tech workers from Asia as well.

They have caps/quotas on # of acceptances each year which leads to a lottery based system where you have 30-40% chance (based on a few things) and you get 3-4 attempts to get the visa.

So . . . Do you operate a food stand? :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

That’s terrible. So sorry you have to experience that.

In general I feel Taiwanese are more classist than than thing. There’s also a non-nonchalant “being blunt is what we do here in Taiwan/if I don’t know it’s not PC it’s ok” attitude for most locals.

Yeah, but very few of them interact with people outside of Asians or white Europeans when they travel aboard.

Very few of them travel to India, Central Asia or the Middle East.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/taiwanese-food-sucks/169558/2169?u=hansioux

Coming from NZ all I ever get is idiots telling me “New Zealand? I have ever been to Sydney”. And comments about :kangaroo:.

And everyone says the same thing “very beautiful country why would you want to live in Taiwan?”

5 Likes

Taiwanese blindly follow news and movies when it comes to countries and they would just visit the countries that they think are “cool” and would make them stand out on instagram. Hollywood does a great job romanticizing western countries and europe.

Why they dont wanna visit india? Because they are 100% sure they will be killed there because “thats what they see on news”.

1 Like

Generations of people here have been educated to think that Taiwan sucks. It really does surprise some people that we like it here!

Guy

4 Likes

Yikes, although I do crack a lot of “Mr 10 percent” jokes with numerous South Asian friends when they criticize the Bhutto clan.

Robber: “Give me all your money!”

Zardari: “Don’t you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari.”

Robber: “OK. Give me all my money”

Maybe the person mentioning explosions was pro-Indian? :laughing:
Jagjit Singh Aurora - Wikipedia
1971 Instrument of Surrender - Sam Manekshaw - Wikipedia

3 Likes