Stereotypes that get your goat

When you meet somebody and you tell them where you’re from, do you find that some stereotype you. Do people suppose that just because you’re from Germany, for instance, you wear Lederhosen and how do you feel about it?

My goat gets gotten when people associate me with rugby, biltong, combs in safari suit socks, Lethal Weapon, “The gods must be crazy”, Rooibos Tea, braaivleis, etc. There’s much more to being who I am than is commomly known.What gets your goat?

The only stereotypes I’m ever subject to that ever get me ticked off are the “OMG Foreigner! Who here speaks English! We can’t serve him unless we find someone who speaks English!” in shops and the “You’re a foreigner therefore you’re either a teacher or a student” one.

I’m from Texas, nuff said.

I’ve found the best results by just having fun with it.

[quote=“Rinkals”]When you meet somebody and you tell them where you’re from, do you find that some stereotype you. Do people suppose that just because you’re from Germany, for instance, you wear lederhosen and how do you feel about it?

My goat gets gotten when people associate me with rugby, biltong, combs in safari suit socks, Lethal Weapon, Rooibos Tea, etc. There’s much more to being who I am than is commomly known.What gets your goat?[/quote]

You’re OBVIOUSLY from South Africa. I can just tell, you know.

How about how asian guys just aren’t up to par cf. to other men. :unamused:

or how asian guys are either philanders that hang out in KTVs and barbershops, abusers, or are weak and emasculated.

You know what I am real tired of?

Hearing some asswipe behind me speaking in mandarin about how all foreign people do “blank”

If I am 7/11 and I buy a drink but refuse the straw some idiot behind me will say to his friend in a knowing tone, “yes, you see foreign people do not know how to use a straw.”

If I am walking down the street and a group passes me “you see foreign people do not drink tea. They can only drink coke or milk or beer”

I am buying dinner and refuse the chili sauce “oh yes I know foreign people can’t eat Taiwan food it is too strong for them.”

Any action I take is not a reflection of every single foreign person alive. It gets a little tired; about 3 years ago, you know?

:s

If you are German, it is not only the Lederhosen. Everybody thinks we are marching around always.

Or would have a bad temper and bad personality.

NOT TRUE!

GOTTVERDAMMTE ARSCHL

Bob_honest

Don’t forget that:
a) you are all orderly, obediant and uptight (just try crossing the street against the light at 3am)
b)you all have insane fetishes (possibly caused by lederhosen)
c)everyday is oktoberfest

And, because you are an American, you eat McDonald’s hamburgers everyday, and fast food is the staple of your diet.

Or, that you are automatically a Christian. I have had a few Taiwanese people approach me (people whom I have never even seen before) and say, “Hi! I am a Christian too!” Funny!

Yeah the assumption by locals and foreigners alike that everybody in Taiwan is an English teacher cracks me up. I

You’ve been here for years and have an APRC–you MUST be married to a local.

Haha, almost like some newbies coming to 'mosa and posting “you are all fustrated English teachers here”

I AM fustrated, but no English teacher.

On the other hand, who does my nephews homework? I even have to draw the goddamned pictures.

I hate English teachers.

Hope none are around now…

I have met quite a few foreign characters here that aren

That’s only if you’re from Bavaria. All Bavarian men and boys wear lederhosen.

This one is frustrating, especially when you speak Mandarin to them! It sometimes takes a few minutes for them to register that: “Wait a minute! He’s speaking my language!”

Then, of course, the topic turns to: “Wow! Your Mandarin is so good!” and it takes another five minutes to get back on to what you are actually in the store for. :doh:

This one is frustrating, especially when you speak Mandarin to them! It sometimes takes a few minutes for them to register that: “Wait a minute! He’s speaking my language!”

Then, of course, the topic turns to: “Wow! Your Mandarin is so good!” and it takes another five minutes to get back on to what you are actually in the store for. :doh:[/quote]

:laughing: :notworthy: :laughing:

That’s only if you’re from Bavaria. All Bavarian men and boys wear lederhosen.[/quote]

You know that? Wow! As a North German it is tyring always to run into the Bavarian stereotype of Octoberfest (at least this is fun) and Lederhosen.

Like a Boston guy being identifyed with … with … a Cherokee Native American.

OK OK for you fetishists…

BUT she is Austrian. I only found ugly men in Lederhosen on German websites :frowning:

Asian female=bad driver

The only thing is that I really am quite a terrible driver… :blush: I must apologize to my asian sisters; I am out there everyday perpetuating the stereotype… :help:

[quote=“Jubom”]Asian female=bad driver

The only thing is that I really am quite a terrible driver… :blush: I must apologize to my Asian sisters; I am out there everyday perpetuating the stereotype… :help:[/quote]

Yeah, it is

Taiwanese = Bad Driver

Un-PC, but true. All who want to bash me for that statement. Go out on the street.

And I am too long in Asia, I start to find even the belly of the Lederhosen girl attractive :blush:

Well, I dont have a goat to be gotten, although I do like the milk and cabrito is one of my favorite things to bar-b-q, there are some issues that fit this thread:

1. Ass-hats that automatically ASSume that because a person is a conservative they are automatically:
    a) a Republican mindless robot
    b) un-educated
    c) a fair target for insults and ridicule
    d) unable to fathom the complexities that exist in situations
  1. Ass-hats that automatically ASSume that because a person is an American they automatically:
    a) are gauche
    b) are rich
    c) are a mindless follower of USA politicians
    d) are un-educated about the rest of the planet
    e) are un-caring about the rest of the planet
    f) want everyone to believe the same as them
    g) believe their insults mean jack-shit to us.

2. Persons who mistake kindness and civility for weakness.

3. People who, for some strange reason, think its ‘cool’ or acceptable to insult “Christians.” Its not and it just makes you look like a adolescent dumb ass. I could also add Jews, Mormons, Greek Orthodox, Buddhists, Taoists and a few other groups to that list. Its their choice of method for expressing their faith in a higher power - understand, accept or STFU about something that is none of your damn business.

4. The fact that I can’t find Old Spice deodorant in my local stores…that pisses me off.

5. People who mistake an insulting quip for an intelligent comment. Does’t piss me off, just makes me wonder, albeit briefly, if they show the same lack of restrint & thought in the rest of their lives.

6. People who abuse animals and/or children.

7. Mosquitoes.

8. Tofu. I do not like it. I may eat it if my wife sneaks it onto my plate, but I don’t like it.

9. Ass-hats who use semantics rather than facts to make their arguments.

10. Passive-agressives…get help…please.

I need a scooter ride outside in the sun…more later.