Sticky Situation

I’ve got a serious mess on my hands… I’m wondering if some of the more experienced folks might be able to help me out.

I’m a college student studying chinese here with a program during my summer break. The program is at TaiDa and after attending the orientation on thurs it appears it will be very intensive.

My taiwanese friend got me a job teaching english at Mircrochip Company (NDSQ listed) where he’s pals with an executive. I got here a few weeks before classes began, so I started working there 12 hours per week. Futhermore, I am living in an apartment owned by the company, though I do pay NT10,000 monthly (its a great location, utl. and maid incl). I get paid NT600/hr. I’m here on a student visa. I don’t need the cash from this job, I’ve got some money saved up.

I think this job has the potential to seriously ruin my summer.

It will force me to have a high stress, extremely busy summer where I do nothing but work. As opposed to a summer where I work hard studying chinese, but still have time to make friends and go to the KTV etc.

I’m paying USD3,000 to attend this program for the summer, and I think the job is going to get in the way of my learning chinese (which is the FIRST reason I came here) I don’t give a damn about teaching english, I want to learn chinese. I talked with my supervisor, and she basically told me that she’s the one who gets screwed if I leave, because she just came to the company and if this course falls through “no one will trust her.” Likewise I understand it would be a huge loss of face and incredible insult if I were to walk away from the favor-given job (which I never really wanted!)

They way I see it I can:

1. Walk: Get a new apartment, leave, screw everyone at once and not worry about the mess. I can make new friends. (i.e. The American Way!)

2. Find a replacement: Get someone else to teach the class, leaving hopefully less of a mess and perhaps keeping my friends, even if I horribly offend them and they lose lots of face.

3. Suck it up: Work, study and stop complaining.

Please help me. I’ve only been here 3 weeks and got myself in soooo deep! :help:

Does the teaching job require much travel time? prep time?
How long is your teaching job supposed to last?

This would be nice. And you’ve been here for three weeks? You don’t know anything about face, so don’t worry about it. They shouldn’t have hired an illegal teacher.

BTW, dicking someone is NOT the American way. :raspberry:

Travel is not bad, since my apartment is near the office, and my classes are about 30mins away by MRT.
Prep time is a little bit of an issue. I have 7 1-on-1 students and a group class of 12. The group class definately requires some prep, since my students are not exactly enthusiastic about speaking up during their 2 hour classes.

I really don’t have any experience as an english teacher so prep is kind of hard for me. I’m 20 yrs old. And they want me to teach negotiating skills and other business english that I don’t really know about.

The job is supposed to last for 6 more weeks, I will study for 8 more.

BTW: I guess the American Way comment is really more of a " I wish I was back in America cause I probably wouldn’t have had this problem in the first place." They had me in the office working out the details 3 hours after i got through customs. Bleary eyed and negociating in chinese on no sleep and 15-time-zones of jetlag.

I feel used.

This would be nice. And you’ve been here for three weeks? You don’t know anything about face, so don’t worry about it. They shouldn’t have hired an illegal teacher.

BTW, dicking someone is NOT the American way. :raspberry:[/quote]

So… anybody know where I could find a decent english teacher? Like… now.

It doesn’t sound to me like your friend did you a favor. It sounds more like you are doing him a favor.

Who approached who about doing the job? If he came to you and suggested you teach at his company and used words like he was doing you a favor, then he was more likely using your friendship to get you to fill a job.

Now, maybe he thought he was helping you out, but that isn’t really what happened.

Do you have a contract at this job? Did you apply for a work permit to get it? (Considering you haven’t been studying here for 6 months yet, I would think no) If not, I would definitely exercise option 1 or option 2.

Here’s the way to save face: Go to the friend who introduced the job to you. Tell him your situation and say you plan to leave the job. Thank him for trying to help, but let him know that this isn’t actually good for you. Then tell him that you were warned that you were working illegally. [color=red]WARNING[/color]: You are working here illegally and there if caught you may be deported and have a difficult time ever returning. You have to study for a period of time before you are eligible to get a work permit for teaching.

Once you have explained your situation to your friend, go back to your supervisor and give her notice citing the reasons you just mentioned. The best would be to give her 1 month’s notice. Certainly give no less than 2 week’s notice.

You gotta look out for #1. You can be sure the company would act in its best interest if the situation was reversed.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]It doesn’t sound to me like your friend did you a favor. It sounds more like you are doing him a favor.

Who approached who about doing the job? If he came to you and suggested you teach at his company and used words like he was doing you a favor, then he was more likely using your friendship to get you to fill a job.

Now, maybe he thought he was helping you out, but that isn’t really what happened.

Do you have a contract at this job? Did you apply for a work permit to get it? (Considering you haven’t been studying here for 6 months yet, I would think no) If not, I would definitely exercise option 1 or option 2.

Here’s the way to save face: Go to the friend who introduced the job to you. Tell him your situation and say you plan to leave the job. Thank him for trying to help, but let him know that this isn’t actually good for you. Then tell him that you were warned that you were working illegally. [color=red]WARNING[/color]: You are working here illegally and there if caught you may be deported and have a difficult time ever returning. You have to study for a period of time before you are eligible to get a work permit for teaching.

Once you have explained your situation to your friend, go back to your supervisor and give her notice citing the reasons you just mentioned. The best would be to give her 1 month’s notice. Certainly give no less than 2 week’s notice.

You gotta look out for #1. You can be sure the company would act in its best interest if the situation was reversed.[/quote]

Bollocks!

Well, not exactly bollocks, because it’s basically right. But it’s like this:

To teach you need a work permit for that specific job, at that specific address. Without it you can’t even show your face in the office without risk of deportation. If the job is kosher then the company can apply for a 3-month ARC for you. This is possible.

Until they do that then you risk losing your investment and being sent home with your tail between your legs and no hope of returning for several years. If they want you to take that risk then they have to reward you appropriately.

NT$600/hr? Fuck that. You can make more teaching kindergarten. If they want negotiation skills, and advanced level stuff, if they want you to motivate unenthusiastic students, then they have to be prepared to pay for the appropriate level of experience. You don’t seem to have delusions of grandeur, but you’re still being underpaid for what they’re asking.

It’s a rip-off. You’re being asked to do a job you’re not qualified or allowed to do, without the appropriate reimbursement. All so someone can save face? Just tell them that you’re not able to do the job because you’re over your head and don’t have a work permit, and let them sort it out. It’s not your problem.

If they really want a decent teacher with the appropriate skills then they can use this site to find one. There are plenty of suitably qualified people here, but it’s going to cost at least NT$1000/hr - possibly twice that. The fact that they’re asking you to do it indicates that they haven’t really thought about what they really need. It’s a bullshit solution to a non-defined problem. Run away, and don’t let yourself be blackmailed. Just focus on what you came here for.