Stocks I wish I had bought

At its IPO, less than a year ago, experts scoffed at the ridiculously high price of $100. Today [color=red]Google[/color] climbed above $300, tripling in less than a year.

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/g/goog

It just goes to show, no matter how overpriced some trendy item may be, people will always pay more for it. More importantly, it goes to show that, “duh, you idiot, you should’ve bought it back then.” :doh:

Other stocks I wish I had bought “back then”:

[color=red]amazon.com [/color]in 1997 (times almost 100 in two years):

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/my/a/amzn

[color=red]Starbucks[/color] in 1993 (times 50 in 11 years):

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/my/s/sbux

[color=red]e-bay [/color]in 1998 (times 25 in 1 year):

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/my/e/ebay

When I just got into stocks I was biotech in a big way. I found a little company called Vaxgen, that was making an AIDS vaxcine. It was at 2$. I wanted to get some but I didn’t have an online account. The hype got into it and it went to 20$ in a year…

then it crashed when the AIDS vaxcine failed…but it was fun to watch.

Google is now over $400 per share, gaining more than 400% in a little over a year.

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/2y/g/goog

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Google is now over $400 per share, gaining more than 400% in a little over a year.

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/2y/g/goog[/quote]

And the PE(ttm): 89.38

Will people never learn?

Cubic
Before 9/11, 20.00, after 9/11, 75.00
does a 3/1 split and then climbs to 33 after the split.
Now, 16.00
Have to remeber to sell at the right time also.

If I had had the money, I would have bought Taiwan electronics shares, Esp. DRAM late September 2001 and sold out after CNY2002. That would have been a joyride.

HTC (2498.TW) when I was advised to do so when it was NT$105 just over a year ago. It’s NT$468 now. Ho hum. I bought lots of beer instead.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]Google is now over $400 per share, gaining more than 400% in a little over a year.

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/2y/g/goog[/quote]

And the PE(ttm): 89.38

Will people never learn?[/quote]

Yes, that is a logical response. But stock performance often defies logic. Some fools are undoubtedly buying Google stock at today’s absurd price, may see it double in the next year and be thankful they haven’t “learned” the same lessons as you (not that I would buy it now, but who knows where it’s headed).

Interesting company. I thought you were referring to Hon Hai but you weren’t. HTC is High Tech Computer Company, headed by a woman (a billionaire woman with an econ degree from UC Berkeley) who pulled the company out of a slump and now they’re doing great, as you mentioned, and have a 950-person R&D team. Sounds like she knows what she’s doing.

businessweek.com/magazine/co … 942425.htm

I was going to say HTC as well. In fact i should have known better because i spent half of the 90s and early 00s in the Taiwan pda/smartphone business. Mitac is also doing good, i knew them when the stock was down to NT$11 just a year (or 2) ago, now it is around $45. I notice it keeps going down to $35/36, then back to 44/45… Sierra Wireless was also a missed opportunity a year or so ago. now it is nothing.

Also, the plywood/home depot sales before/after katerina were probably good similar to the 3M-N95 mask sales after SARS. I’m thinking some type of portable gas mask stock will be hot in the next 6+ months. Lots of others, but have to be smarter now…

Isn’t hindsight great???

Santa Claus wrote: “I’m making a list and checking it twice”. Or are you a non-believer?

Netflix, up 300 percent since March of this year (9 mos):

chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/n/nflx

Still not that costly per share (under $30), but the P/E is 200! At this point, I think I’ll pass.

Google, just closed at 500/share.

nytimes.com/2006/11/22/techn … r=homepage

You gonna get in on that one?

I had IIP when it was a penny stock at about 1.11/share average. They did a reverse split (11.10/share average), changed their name back to INAP, and got relisted in the NAz, and since then it has gone up to 18.60, a new high. :smiley:

The ironic thing is, when it was down to about 60cents/share pre-split, I tried like hell to sell, but no one would buy it. Now, I’m happy again.

Hsinchu (International) Bank: share price up by 33%; trading volume increased 80-fold --> all in the three weeks before it was taken over by Standard Chartered at the end of September.

Ah, so you wish you had gotten in on all the insider trading on that one. :wink:

Ah, so you wish you had gotten in on all the insider trading on that one. :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, the accusations are flying again! :unamused: That’s now according to yesterday’s Taipei Times. :smiley:

Quantas just jumped 20% up after a take-over bid and and settled at +16%. :astonished:

I keep my money in funds and certificates for the time being, don’t feel “ready” yet for buying individual shares.

Dolby jumped 35% overnight after reporting better than expected earnings a few weeks back. Now trading almost 50% up.

finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=DLB&t=3m