Stone the Crows and Magpies, too

I really liked the “story” but got the impression you were trying too hard to be “too” descriptive and lyrical. I came out of the first paragraph just feeling confused.

Not a convincing metaphor.

Affected. I didn’t know the expression hither and "nether’ either so had to work on it. That’s OK if there is a pay off.

The dung splattered giant pads of desecration? doesn’t make sense.

The cows and sheep are “intense.” I grew up around cows part time, can’t remember them ever being particularly intense.

Sanctuary from what?

Interesting stuff but packaged too densely.

Excellent last two lines. I had trouble understanding the part about the trough.

[quote]“Hey! Get out of that!” I bawl; then run toward the scene of untold misery madly flailing my arms, “Hey! Go on. Get out of that! Hey!”

I never say, “Shoo!” I’ve long since learnt, virtue of my mother, that it is completely useless at frightening anything or anybody from their intended purpose. I look to the ground for something to throw but there is nothing and the crow, which would normally be timorous, makes a last-ditched attempt at garnering an eyeball; then flies off to a nearby gate post where it waits expectantly of any morsels to follow. [/quote]

“garnering an eyeball” :notworthy:

Punchy, clear stuff. You draw me into the scene and include one clear, powerful bit of metaphorical language. Great.

“I know what needs to be done.” “I’m relieved she has taken to him.” Great lines.

Evocative, but why water it down with “emanating”?

Nice.

I’m there. But I’d rather the shit yourself reference were lost.

You lose it when you try too hard. “…pecking my brains out through my cranium.” The story was interesting enough and had me engaged but your brains weren’t coming out your skull and it doesn’t work as a rhetorical exageration.

It is hard to imagine too why you would feel like a loser. Nothing in the story describes a loser. You are a kid who just saved a lamb. Maybe you felt like a loser but we have no way to understand why.

[quote]Before long under the protection of the pines, I look back and see the ewe on her feet by the trough nuzzling the lamb toward her udder. I feel blood trickle down the side of my cheek and taste it curiously at the corner of my mouth. “Stop the bloody cameras!”

I smile goofily to myself then run off home to mum.[/quote]

I like it. We almost don’t know if the blood is yours or the lamb’s. The boy runs home to “mum” after his adventure… wonderful.

That’s my take. It’s a heroic story. Be a hero.

(It desperately needs a new title IMHO)

[quote]Quote:
The frozen grass glistens like the floor of a crystal palace;

Not a convincing metaphor.
[/quote]

Of course not it’s a simile.

And OK I take it back:

Drop a couple of cow turds here and there and you’ve got one hell of a desecration. If there were a heaven it would be in frost; that’s for sure.

I get it now but you had to show me a picture.

The thing is I just felt lost right from the get go. I like you so I read it with more patience than I would normally, normally I go through half a dozen books a week, if they don’t grab me with something unique, comprehensible and meaningful I chuck them down and pick up something that does.

I liked your story. I’m glad I read it, but I think a leaner approach would help to grab people straight off.

Also, and this is just my take off course, I think perhaps you are trying accomplish too much. Working in the newscast at the end there for example, it was well written but taken as a whole kind of jarring.

Basically I think you were attempting to reveal something about the elementals of life and how they related to the emotions of a young boy. Nice idea for a bit of writing. Difficult to think of anything better. But a story about a boy is better rendered in something more like the language of a boy, clear, direct, emotive. If the story was written more simply and included only the most powerful figurative usages you’d have a better story.

Again, just my take, but as an exercise why not try toning it all down, give the reader a clearer idea where he is from the outset.

There is a great story in there but you haven’t got it yet.

Consider this:

I just described this whole situation to my wife, you writing the story, me being confused by it and then finally to what the story actually entailed, a kid reaching inside a lambs uterus to save a lamb and ewe, being attacked by magpies. She was amazed. It’s an incredible story that begs for powerful, figurative language in just the right places. The problem for me as a reader was that the visceral drama of the thing was lost in language that was too much of a strain to de-code. Then again maybe I’m just too dumb. :idunno:

Dunno, bob, it all worked perfectly well for me. It’s very much an Aussie story, methinks, which is probably why Sandman posted the links to the Scottish equivalents. For me, I could smell see and hear everything and was well hooked from the outset. I also loved the follow up. I can see myself crouched there with a loaded ging (slingshot) waiting for vengeance.

HG

I’m just dumb I guess. Can I go home now?

You got me thinking bob so I might give it a reworking. It’s meant to be a bit overblown at the beginning and just kind of funny really.

Thanks again HG.

How about those frost photos?

There’s some crystal palace frost for ya.
I wish I could construct like Fox and deconstruct like bob.

Good find Sandman.

I was kind of blown away when I did the search. It’s funny how we forget such stuff. That is my real motivation for writing stories. I just want to dwell on the moments.

I read this story on a wedsite called redbubble the other day. It also has great photography. It’s a bit like mining for gemstones as a site concept, but there are definitely some great finds to be had there.

This is by a girl called: delirious girl. If you go there make sure you read, “Do with Me What You Will”:

Soul Shopping
Writing requires being alone for many hours and I could always tell when I was getting lonely. I would make dates on the spur of the moment and then regret them when the time came. I called old boyfriends and read personal ads. Through my kitchen window, I watched men walk their dogs in my neighborhood.

Normally, I preferred being single. It’s much better to be missing someone than wishing they were gone. But sometimes it was as if my soul involuntarily searched for its counterpart. The grocery store was its favorite place amidst the shelves of life-giving provisions. It was my soul’s suburban jungle hunting ground. Every isle held potential. Every likely match aroused the question: Could this be him?

If my soul was in search mode, I was drawn to the supermarket up the street. I would make a special trip for a roll of paper towels or a frozen burrito. Perhaps there was something about our common need for food which exaggerated our basic human connection? Men shopped for food. I shopped for men. I would dream, instantly, about being with every acceptable man I saw. I was amazed by the diversity and scope of my hungry imagination. And the longer I focused on one particular man, the more detailed the fantasy would become. They weren’t necessarily sexual. These were practical fantasies of compatibility, co-existence, and acceptance. These illusions worked.

I was old enough to know that sexual fantasies could come true. It’s the other stuff that becomes more alluring. The ability to sit together in quiet, contented contemplation on a Sunday morning was more attractive than a perfectly toned six-pack, strong, muscular arms, and run-away passion. But despite the imaginary quality of this strange exercise, there was a price to pay. I felt as if I lost a tiny piece of myself to every vision. I usually left feeling depleted and a bit depressed.

I might, for instance be standing in the check out line behind a handsome, youngish man with a longish, black ponytail shimmering in the fluorescent lights. His tight white t-shirt secures two firm, tanned arms, ready to hold me close, even in a public place. His spotless skin has a pearly radiance and seems to glow with health. His lips are full and the perfect shape for speaking my name. His exquisite smile reveals twin rows of strong, white teeth which gently curve outward in the centers like they are plump with calcium.

He has an accent I can’t quite place and his hand-basket is filled with odd, exotic foods. Every feature leads to another and my mind is watering as it vacillates quickly between the over-all picture and the particulars. I see the forest and the trees. He has a close up kind of beauty. Many men are beautiful from a distance but as details are added, their attraction diminishes. Others, however, get better with detail. I can’t get too close to him. I’m like an orbiting moon, being drawn to his mysterious, captivating core.

In his basket, I notice green onions, sugar snaps, wine, coffee beans, peas, meat, and a myriad of spices. Nothing is ready-made or frozen. He wants to do it himself. Then, in less time than it takes to steal a grape, or read a label, which I never do, my mind provides a context for us as if I was opening a large, cloth-bound coffee table book on the jungles of Africa. It is triggered by his intriguing voice.

We are together. He is shopping for me. He’s going to cook his favorite Italian meal for us. I imagine him purposfully working in our small but interesting kitchen with the stainless steel trash can, teak wine rack, and ornate expresso machine. His hair provides graceful trails of liquid onyx. The range is churning and simmering as delicious aromas fill the house. His accent is like a frame around his words, giving each one a special quality. I hang each one on the walls of my heart. His difficulty with the language keeps him from talking too much. He chooses his words carefully.

I tell him my intentions: I think I’ll clean out my car today.

” Why?”

It’s a mess.

“I like it like that. “

You do?

” Yes, I love to look at all the empty cups and wrappers and imagine what you were doing. “

Maybe I should just wash it, then.

” Don’t be silly. Why don’t you lie on the couch and read or watch Jeopardy and shout out all the right questions?”

Well, I suppose I could.

I go to the bedroom where he’s custom-built bookshelves to hold all my favorite books, so I could be surrounded by them while I sleep. He instinctively knows that this comforts and soothes me.

When we wake up together, he has my heart. I am not tempted to go anywhere else. I smile a genuine smile of contentment and kiss him thankfully. He feels the same and we both sense the intercourse of mutual desire through the slightest touch. He wants me for the rest of his life. He is energetic and amazing to watch as he moves around the bedroom, unaware of his overwhelming earthiness and sensuality. In fact, I am mesmerized by him so much that my coffee, which he made with great humility, has turned cold in my favorite cup. I don’t notice.

I get up and start writing a humorous essay on some new absurdity of everyday life or the general decline of the human condition that my brain has seized on and cannot let go of until I write about it. The scent of baking sweets provide just the right atmosphere. He knows exactly how long it takes for me to complete a cup of coffee and, just as I am finishing, I hear the sound of fresh grinding.

I share what I’ve written with him. He doesn’t understand English that well but he laughs heartily, making all sorts of delightful sounds. Hours later, while he’s in the bathroom, he breaks out again in uncontrollable laughter, repeating some of the sentences I’d written.

He comes out and puts his arms around me. I feel the weight of his soft, smooth hair on my hands.

When I’m writing, he treats the time as if it was sacred. I seem to meet all his needs just by being my self-involved self. My work gets better. Checks start coming in. I take a break for a few moments and look around my desk. He steps out of the laundry room where he is carefully, delightfully, folding my shirts. There is nothing he would rather be doing. He speaks up:

“I’m almost out of laundry to do. Why don’t you start changing clothes twice a day. That way I could do more.”

He comes out holding my perfectly folded vintage Pink Floyd tour shirt.

I sit back down and look around at the clutter.

I’m thinking about getting rid of some of this junk.

“What…junk? “

Some of this crap I never use like that entertainment center, those mirrors, that old bathroom vanity ,and my fire-extinguisher collection. The magazines. Some clothes that I haven’t worn this decade.

” No. You love your junk. It makes you happy. I want you to keep it,” he says peevishly.

OK, I’ll keep it.

“And I want you to get some more.”

He pulls me to him and kisses me deeply. The caressing continues and we move to the bedroom. I’m drunk on his beauty. We spill into the bed. The afternoon sun is casting shadows like oriental prints on the walls. I get up quickly.

“Where are you going?”

To brush my teeth.

“Please don’t, I love your breath, it reminds me of the smell wafting up from the sewers in Milan when I was a child.”

OK.

“Please breathe on me.”

He is lying on the bed, gloriously naked now, his hair flowing out around his face like tributaries of dark mystery. I lie down, close my eyes, and reach around him. We are transported. I pull him to myself. He echoes every movement. We are in a jungle or a garden of some sort. A clear river flows slowly before us. The air is cool and damp in the diffused light beneath the canopy of huge trees. We are naked and unashamed.

A sound rolls out of the deep forest and the crystal river begins to darken. It then loses all natural contour and takes on a flat, one dimensional quality as it continues to move.

I am staring at an empty, black, conveyor belt.

Ma’am. . . Oh, ma’am. . .you’re next. . .

That’s my own shot, Fox, taken in a place where I spent a great deal of time as a child. It’s what jumped into my mind the instant I read your words. I understood exactly what you were rabbiting on about.
Anyway, I’m bowing out now. You, TomHill and bob are making me feel inadequate.

Beautiful shot. I’m an idiot.

I wish I could say the same about the ones I posted. Make sure you read the story.

Waiting…

I’d call it “Vulva”.

Nice.

Here’s a good shot.

Ewe Udder Vulva, bob?

Frost in Brazil.

[quote=“Fox”]Here’s a good shot.

Ewe Udder Vulva, bob?

Frost in Brazil.

[/quote]

“Ewe Udder Vulva, bob?” is probably not such a good title. Your first frost picture was the best of the bunch so far too I’d say. Frost looks good with that kind of blue sky.

My brain seems to be on it’s way out here so if there are any other…

I’d call it Frost,R. excellent post Fox.

Thanks Pablo.

Another great frost shot.

This time from Scotland.