Stopping Barking?

Venerable Sages,

I just got a new job that means I actually have to leave the house for most of the day…then I’m running a martial arts school at night…the conditions are less than ideal for my 2 dogs and I look to remedy the situation soon. My nice and friendly neighbours have complained about them barking when I am out- theyt want it to stop asap…I really don’t know how I can control this behaviour. I got up at 6 to give them a 1 hour walk in the hope that they would be chill all day but they were barking fiercly according to my neighbour they were at it this afternoon…everytime they here someone moving around in the hallway or just randomly barking.

unsurprisingly theeres not a sound when i come home…

I just moved once becasue of complaints and 2 months into a new flat i have the same shit all over again…how can i quickly and effectively stop this?

[quote=“CanisLupusFamiliaris”]Venerable Sages,

I just got a new job that means I actually have to leave the house for most of the day…then I’m running a martial arts school at night…the conditions are less than ideal for my 2 dogs and I look to remedy the situation soon. My nice and friendly neighbours have complained about them barking when I am out- theyt want it to stop asap…I really don’t know how I can control this behaviour. I got up at 6 to give them a 1 hour walk in the hope that they would be chill all day but they were barking fiercly according to my neighbour they were at it this afternoon…everytime they here someone moving around in the hallway or just randomly barking.

unsurprisingly theeres not a sound when I come home…

I just moved once becasue of complaints and 2 months into a new flat I have the same shit all over again…how can i quickly and effectively stop this?[/quote]

Get an anti bark collar.
Have you tried them ? They work.

First set up a recording device in your house to see how much barking they actually are doing, (neighbours can be prone to exageration)

Then try out the anti barking collars (spray or sound would be the best)

I also leave the raido or the TV on for my dogs which helps as there is a constant noise so they don’t notice so much the noise outside.

Can you get the anti-bark collars in Taipei? Even in Taiwan? I’ve looked in a lot of places and there’s been nothing, nobody’s even heard of them My 3 mutts go crazy for most of the day but fortunately I’m not around to hear it…

You can buy them online from many places. Just do a google search

this site sales a good variety. Just get it shipped to Taiwan. They will cost youa few thousand NT though! But probably worth it.

pet-super-store.com/pet-supp … k-collars/

I think what u r looking for is called 防吠項圈.
I don’t know which store you can go,
but u can certainly buy them on 奇摩拍賣.

Here is one of the bid that I found:

tw.f5.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e22504547

I’d never use a shock collar on my dogs, they look evil enough and the idea of shocking them is really horrible. The ultrasonic devices look good, not sure about the citronella collars, or how effective either of them are. Anyway, I followed UKbikerChic and started leaving the radio on all day. It seems to have helped with the dogs, does anyone know how to stop flatmates complaining?

Caning, twice daily …

Shocking stuff! :astonished:

Next your flat mates will be complaining about the TV being on all day and what about global warming (ust joking)

You might find the TV solution is a temporary one and will become less effective over time.

Good luck

Ha, actually the dogs have been barking more, possibly because I made them listen to ICRT. Anyway, I’m the most over cautious, over considerate flatmate and i try to keep noise to a minimum. It compensates for my lack of washing up and cleaning. Shock collars on the flatmates might work, there’s an idea.

Actually I feel very sorry for dogs. Barking is what they are meant to do right ? Baying after the quarry or scaring off the wolves. Now they are being told that barking is bad !!! Poor animals.

Personally it doesn’t bother me much at all. In Taiwan with the constant noise of traffic and karoke machines, the noise of barking is really quite minor. But anyway people don’t like it and they will report you, and then you may have to move house.

Sucks doesn’t it ? I used to have dogs in Britain but that was in the countryside. Wouldn’t want any in a big city like Taipei.
I think it is cruel to keep dogs in large cities. Not saying you are cruel as rescue dogs or small breeds are okay with me, just don’t agree with people buying a medium or large sized dog in a city, although i love keeping dogs!

Oh and I wish someone with power would please tell the Taiwanese to stop buying beagles and then complain about them howling. They are hounds, hounds are hunting dogs and they howl.

Ignorant importers buying dogs that are bred for a purpose and then get all pissed of when the dogs do what their hundreds of years of breeding has conditioned them to do. Why don’t they get a book and read up about the breed. There are plenty of good books about it. Perhaps if they looked at the original purpose of some of these dogs they may reconsider. Next they will be importing coon hounds or unwanted English fox hounds and then abandon them because they howl and run after cats (god save us)
:noway:

Grrr :fume:

I did a bit of research and decided to try a behavioural approach to solving this problem. I found that I make too much of a big deal about leaving the house and then enourage them to get all excited when I come home- this apparently makes them anxious and causes the barking while I’m out- which seemed to have gotten worse with me not working at home anymore.

So now I take them running int he morning , then give them something to chew on while I sneak out of the door without saying bye or whatever. When I come home I ignore them completely until they have settled down, then I go over and be nice to them.

It seems to be working as I asked my neighbours about the past couple of days and they say there’s been no noise apart from the usual growl when they walk past my door.

I will reinforce more chilled behaviour by having the males nuts removed.

I’ve been reading a lot on behavioural training over the past few weeks, and yes, it’s working. Ignoring them when you come in is a great thing, and teaching them simple stuff like sitting for everything helps a lot. It’s tough having 3 of them, especially since they’re all (small) street dogs, and training 3 at once is a bit more challenging. The barking doesn’t bother me, I just don’t want to bother any of my neighbours. A complaint could see me kicked out of my (quiet, spacious mountain house with lots of places for the dogs to run around in the vicinity) and relegated to a flat in the city. This would not be ideal.