Storage of Chinese characters

I know the basic ASCII character set for storing characters covers the English alphabet + other alphanumeric characters… question is how are Chinese characters stored ? ( I’m thinking of databases and how would / do they would handle storage of Chinese characters ? )

[quote=“scott02”]I know the basic ASCII character set for storing characters covers the English alphabet + other alphanumeric characters… question is how are Chinese characters stored ? ( I’m thinking of databases and how would / do they would handle storage of Chinese characters ? )[/quote]Traditional characters are usually stored in something called Big-5, and simplified in something called GB, which are both 2 bytes per character, but incompatible with each other. Which causes problems sometimes.
There is something else called Unicode which should solves these incompatiblities, which hopefully will replace both systems, I hope.

Usually cool and dry, an airtight container is recommended to preserve the flavour. That way, if you take them out a few dynasties later, they smell like freshly written…

SCNR… :smiling_imp:

As BFM already said: Big5 here, GB in the PRC, but with Unicode all that shouldn’t be an issue any more - at least in theory. While Windows XP supports Unicode, it still seems to use Big5 as standard encoding… Looks like OS X has the better Unicode support…

That’s because there are a lot of Windows applications that would stop working if there wasn’t native Big5 support in the OS. That’s the cause of the sudden eruptions of sqares and question marks though - confusion between certain special characters (fractions and especially curly quotes) and Big5.