Store closures during CNY?

Hi,

Can some longer-time residents enlighten me on what to expect during Chinese New Year in terms of stores and restaurant closures? I’m wondering if most of them close only on Feb 9th or the whole week or …?

Thanks,

Seeker4

According to my boss New Year’s eve is half day and some shops may close the next day, too.
However big chains (like department stores) probably close only for that half day, otherwise it’s business as usual.

Naturally small/independent/family businesses may close as they see fit.

Many restaurants should be open, too. Otherwise it means eating at McDonald’s for one week. :sick:

In the past, most stores did close down at this time of year for a full week. However, these days, you won’t have any problem at all, since stores see it as a good time to make some money. You might have a bit more trouble on CNY eve and the first day of the new year, but that should be it. Expect to see restaurants, movie theaters, etc flooded with people. Taipei used to become a ghost town for a few days, but those times are long past.

Yes, there are sure to be plenty of shops and eateries open throughout the holidays, though you may find it hard to buy bread from a decent bakery for three or four days.

My big grouse this year is that my gym and swimming-pool is closing for five days, from Monday to Friday (a big step backward from their bad-enough three-day closure last year). So just when I have some extra time at my disposal to step up my exercise regime, they’ll be slamming the bloody doors in my face. We are not amused. :fume:

You will find that about half the small restaurants and shops close for most of the week. That’s because maybe half the families in Taipei go south to their family homes. You also might experience poeple telling you that it’s New Year, so you’ll have to wait for your food.

I remember going to Shida night market on the second day of the New year and about half the places were closed. The teahouse we ate at said that we might have to wait “10 minutes” because of New Year. I got still partially frozen food after 50 minutes. :frowning:

If there are regular places you eat at, they’ll usually put up a notice saying when they’ll be closed. Even without reading the Chinese, you should be able to make out the dates.

Brian

What about banks?

And post offices? :help:

i was just about the ask the same thing… landlord might have to wait a few days for feb. 6th rent.

Post offices will be closed starting Monday (7th) and will not open again until the following Monday (14th). I assume the same goes for banks, so go today if you have anything to take care of.

ait.org.tw/en/

Thank you thank you thank you! :notworthy:

I just checked with my local bank and post office. Both are open tomorrow.

Yes, tomorrow’s officially a working day to make up for the extra day’s holiday on Monday.

(Some Edit)

Most department stores in Taiwan will shorten their business hours on Feb. 8, the Lunar New Year’s Eve, and either return to normal business hours or extend them from Feb. 9 to 13, or the first to fifth day of the New Year.

The following are the business hours of major department stores in Taiwan from Feb. 8 to 13:

Taipei 101 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 8 and from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. starting Feb. 9.

Takashimaya from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 8, and its supermarket from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. From Feb. 9 to 13, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., and the supermarket from 9 a.m.

Miramar Mall, the one with the Ferris wheel, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 8 and from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. from Feb. 9 to 13.

Far Eastern Mall from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Feb. 8, and its supermarket from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The mall and the supermarket from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. starting Feb. 9.

On Chinese New Year’s Eve, Core Pacific Living Mall and Mira Department Store from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; theme restaurants from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; the movie theaters from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.; and the B1 to B3 floors will open from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.

All branches of Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Department Store in Taiwan will open from either 10a.m. or 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Feb. 8 and from either 10 or 11 a.m. to either 9 to 10 p.m. - Feb. 9 to 13.

All branches of Sogo Department Store will open from either 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. to either 5 or 6 p.m. on Feb. 8 and from either 10 or 11 a.m. to either 9 or 10p.m. - Feb. 9 to 13.

I wired money home on Friday before the Chinese new year closureand it’s not in my account yet. Usually it takes 24-48 hours…how long should I give it before going into panic mode. I’m not sure if and when I shall be returning to Taiwan.

Anyone else in this boat?