Store next door

Hey all,

Got a question for you. If you were to have a grocery store open up next door to you what would you most like it to have?

Me, I’m already thinking Dr. Pepper and Miracle Whip.

Let me know.

Truant, hope this is an ok post on where can I find…

:laughing:

Old Dutch brand Sour Cream & Onion potato chips. Ruffles would be fine, too. Lays are just not the same, and especially bad are the Pringles knock-offs that they produce.

Strawberry yogurt in 1-litre tubs.

Lime slurpees. Big cups.

Vegemite that isnt as expensive as gold.

i want gardenburger or boca burger brand veggie burgers with western style kaiser buns and pickles

PREMADE COOKIE DOUGH…slice n bake!!! Definately

125 Minle in Dihua area (just north of MinSheng West) premade cookie dough. Long rolls ready to slice and bake or just slice and eat.

There are now (or was) 3 places to buy Dr. Pepper in Taipei.

PM me if you want vague directions on how to find them.

Boboli pizza base (pre-made), non-sweet sliced bread, cold cuts (esp. turkey!), and canned draught Guinness.

[quote=“Chicken”]There are now (or was) 3 places to buy Dr. Pepper in Taipei.

PM me if you want vague directions on how to find them.[/quote]

Thanks chicken but I think some of you are missing the point. I’m not asking where to buy… I’m just saying what would you want… And if you live in Taipei it’s easy… but for those of us who don’t… But please, even if your in Taipei… what are those things that you want most??

And Ratbrain, not a restaurant… a grocery store…lol Though Some nice sliced dill pickles are already on the list.

You know, it’s really surprising what you find in the strangest places here. I walked into a mom & pop convenience store down in Chiayi a couple weekends ago and was surprised to see Mountain Dew and Canadian Dry Gingerale in the fridge next to the Pingwo Sidra and the Sarsi!

What would I want? Decent ice cream that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg like Haagen-Dazs (sp?) does.

Citizen K

if you want good ice cream, then go to any I-Mei store and get the two litre cardboard tubs for about $250. The icecream is made in New Zealand and simply packaged under the I-Mei brand. If you can read Chinese you will see it is clearly labelled as being made in NZ. I especially recommend the chocolate flavour, although the Strawberry and vanilla are good too.
Also, although probably as expensive as Haagan Daz, but much better IMHO is Kapiti brand ice cream also from New Zealand,which you can find in some of the larger Welcome supermarkets and various mall supermarkets in Taipei at least.

Chunky Soup.
Dark Rye/Rye Bread.
Montreal smoked meat/turkey/chicken.
Pastrami.
Labatt Blue / Alexander Keiths.
Chef Boyardee ravioli.
Corned Beef (Huge chunk ready to boil)
Old Forte Cheddar Cheese.
Marble Cheese.
Canada Dry.
Betty Croker cake/brownie mix.
Kraft Dinner.
Kalbasa.
Karnutzel.
Bratwurst suasages for BBQing.
Good Hotdogs by Schneider’s that turn crispy on the outside when bbq’d.
Rolls, damn good bread. LOADS Of bakeries on this island but they can’t seem to get the bread right.

To be continued…

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Chunky Soup.
Dark Rye/Rye Bread.
Montreal smoked meat/turkey/chicken.
Pastrami.
Labatt Blue / Alexander Keiths.
Chef Boyardee ravioli.
Corned Beef (Huge chunk ready to boil)
Old Forte Cheddar Cheese.
Marble Cheese.
Canada Dry.
Betty Croker cake/brownie mix.
Kraft Dinner.
Kalbasa.
Karnutzel.
Bratwurst suasages for BBQing.
Good Hotdogs by Sniders that turn crispy on the outside when bbq’d.
Rolls, damn good bread. LOADS Of bakeries on this island but they can’t seem to get the bread right…[/quote]
Someone needs to go home for the holidays, eh? :wink:

I’ve seen KD, Chef Boyardee, Chunky Soup at that G&G sammich shop in TianMu. Not cheap though, but when you crave it, you’d pay for it.

I’ve learnt how to eat ‘local’ but ya can’t take the Canuck out of me. Especially my BBQ. I know what I’d be doing right now back home. I’d be in shorts and a down filled jacket, bare feet and in the patio firing up the grill. I’d stnad out there for as long as my feet could handle it, bbqing steak or chicken breast, and a baked potato with garlic butter wrapped in tin foil. I’d be microwaving veggies while all of this was roastin. I’d probably have a 24 of AK in the fridge (or out back) ready for the weekend as well.

Goddamn I miss Canada when it comes to food and quiet times.

If barbecues are that meaningful, then shoes, socks, and some long pants may help you to enjoy the experience to its fullest.

[quote=“ensign”]Citizen K

if you want good ice cream, then go to any I-Mei store and get the two litre cardboard tubs for about $250. The icecream is made in New Zealand and simply packaged under the I-Mei brand. If you can read Chinese you will see it is clearly labelled as being made in NZ. I especially recommend the chocolate flavour, although the Strawberry and vanilla are good too.
Also, although probably as expensive as Haagan Daz, but much better IMHO is Kapiti brand ice cream also from New Zealand,which you can find in some of the larger Welcome supermarkets and various mall supermarkets in Taipei at least.[/quote]

Hey Ensign,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve had the I-mei ice cream many a time and it is good when it’s right. The thing I find frustrating about them is half the time the ice cream is refrozen; it has begun to melt and then put to the cold again and develops ice cristals. This is really too bad, because it just ruins the flavor of the ice cream.

Haven’t tried Kapiti; I’ll have to look for it. the thing with ice cream is that it’s pretty sensitive to temperature changes and I’m sure the companies that deliver the stuff to the supermarkets are not that careful about it. :unamused:

Cornish pasties
Pastrami
Wholemeal bread
Liquorice Allsorts
Nice yoghurt
Soda farls
Parsnips (what with Christmas around the corner)
Sam Smith’s IPA

I would spend all my hard-earned NT and be as fat as a very very fat man.

But happy.

TFT

matzoh meal
dark chocolate
power bars
epson salt
sea salt
nyquil
tylenol PM
cheer free with colorgaurd
lady speedstick
plain non sweetened live culture yogurt
non instant salt free oatmeal

[quote=“Proto_tw”]
And Ratbrain, not a restaurant… a grocery store…lol Though Some nice sliced dill pickles are already on the list.[/quote]

what? I buy (well used to buy) frozen garden burger brand veggie burgers in all local US supermarkets. oh well.

I would like to be able to get the following:

Crest toothpaste
Victoria Secret’s lotions
Zia Natural skincare products
S.O.S. pads for pots and pans
Kid’s shoes (Stride Rite)
Bare Mineral makeup
Graham crackers
BBQ sauce
Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
Croutons
Wishbone Italian dressing