Stranded abroad - how do I file taxes this year?

When I left Taiwan late last year I had plans to return tomorrow in time for tax season next month. For obvious reasons the trip is now cancelled. I won’t be back until the fall.

How do I file taxes this year? I don’t think it’s possible to get an extension, is it?

I don’t have the income information to manually input the data and file online. I didn’t keep records assuming that I could just walk into the office next month to have it all printed out for me. I also don’t have a card reader and NHI card (left it in Taipei) to retrieve the information.

I’m on an ARC. My wife has an ID. We would be filing jointly.

No worries.
File under your wife whenever you get back.
If you owe anything, you just pay standard interest penalty on amount owed.
If you get refund, they will pay it sometime January of next year. No jail time. No flogging. No tar 'n feathering.

With the amount I owe, getting hit with penalties isn’t going to be worth it. Plus I need the data to file my US taxes in July.

The taxpayer’s overdue payment of tax, according to Article 20 of the Tax Collection Act, In the event that a taxpayer is subject to delinquency charge for his/her/its failure to pay the tax by the deadline specified under the applicable tax act, a delinquency charge in an amount equal to one percent (1%) of the amount of said tax shall be charged for every two (2) days of delay. Where the period of delay exceeds thirty (30) days, the case shall be referred to the court for compulsory execution.

Let me guess, you’re scared of the upcoming typhoon season?

If you can infect someone just by coughing on them, imagine how far the typhoons will spread it!!

1 Like

The government gave time until the end June to pay taxes. Thank COVID-19.

1 Like