Strange and Unexpected Impressions While Traveling Abroad

Time to put a

in it.

1 Like

I think they are eqaully bad.
In fact, I hate people who love making comments about strangers. I don’t make friends with people like that.
Making random comments about random strangers is a rude behavior. Even if the comments are good, it’s still inappropriate.

All countries should do that for sure.

ABCs, CBSs, and BBCs may or may not face the same number of troubles, microaggresions, or racism as I did as an International travler.

As you may have known, in many Western countries, you use districts/neighborhoods/zones to divide different ethnic, religious, social-status groups.
(In Taiwan, there’s no such a thing, at least not so obvious or definite.)
If they spend most of their lifetime in their own wealthy neighborhoods, socialize with only their own people, and even marry only their own people. Then, they may not face as many troubles, microaggresions, or racism as I did.

I think that’s why I always got stared at and made nasty comments against when I explored new places in the West.
I accidentally crossed the invisible line to enter some non-Asian zone. So, the local people there thought I was wrong to cross the line, so they were rude and hostile against me. That may be a reason why.
Another reason may be that I always went to the local nightclubs to hook up with the local women, and the local men didn’t like seeing foreign men taking away their women.

In sum, I think, if some ABCs, CBCs, BBCs say that they have never encountered troubles, microaggresions, or racism, it must be that they only live in their own comfort zone/bubble, so racist people could hardly hurt them.

P.S.
Schools or workplaces are the most peaceful places. Even the worst racists would keep their mouths completely shut when attending schools or going to work, so going to schools or working in the West do not necessarily increase the chance to encounter troubles, microaggresions, or racism.)

This is a huge human right violation. The rights of foreign tourists of different race override the rights of locals?

Racist is a big name. Imo, “Maybe they are talking about Chinese, though I don’t understand their language” cannot be enough reason to call someone racist.

I stopped talking about people using languages which I didn’t understand long ago.
Recently, I only talk about people speaking English who stared at me and made comments behind my back. They talked to each other in English, so I surely understood every word they said.

“long” is subjective. This thread itself is not so old for me. But, yeah, it’s definitely better not to be so suspicious about every word with chi sound.

Isn’t that exactly what you are doing? :roll:

1 Like

Yes. But don’t imagine the average British pub-goer knows or cares about such subtleties.

2 Likes

Not at all because there are tourists literally everywhere. I love the general vibe of the city. Definitely had a better impression of the UK than Italy. And I did notice keep on running into people who spoke Russian, or maybe they were Polish, I can’t tell because I haven’t heard Polish before. In some restaurants we dined also noticed the waiter (Caucasian) not speaking proper English which was kind of unexpected, clearly immigrants. And you’re right the tube was quite a shocker.

As a traveler or minority in some places you’ll bound to take some bad wrap by misrepresentation from others before you. Don’t read too much into it. You’ll also likely benefit from those before you. From Taiwan? Yeah Taiwan! Yes, we did run into some circumstances like this as well.

Wow, what excitement I missed while ignoring this thread!

Congratulations! But what happened to 4th?

Sorry, my bad. 4th world flooded, devastated place I come from. Where people do not care where you are from or what you look like…your money is what matters. Where chinos are made fun for their hair but respected for their ability to make money.

Why would people make fun of chinos’ hair? What’s wrong with shiny black hair?

I’ve never heard this either. I know comments on the eyes. But never hair. It’s pretty much the same as anyone’s hair that also black.

Because the fashionable cut, at least in our part of the world for kids and Asian adults is either the WuGeLiang or the Iron Scrub Brush.

Freedom of speech isn’t the main thing, it’s the only thing.

Do you want to live like a caged animal, cowed into submission, just getting by, plugged into the “collective consciousness,” afraid of the hammer that will nail you down?

Wow, you’ve been gone for a while!

Do we want to live like caged animals etc.? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: It is decidedly so

Okay then. :idunno: