Strange fruit

Impossible to get out, I may say. Ours is purple, with white skin too. But delicious. Rich in iron, if I remember correctly. Will try to look for it in the local market. Thanks for the heads up.

Where have you guys been buying your 黃金果? Are they in season again? I saw them in a fruit shop last year (and I now have a six-inch high tree :slight_smile: ) but haven’t seen them since. They’re really good. Apparently, they’re grown locally, not imported.

Icon: Ice Cream bean seeds have very short viability (a few days), so in practice it’s impossible to import them. I think it’s quite hard to get an import license for the actual trees, but maybe Pingdong is planning to give it a try.

Where did you get it AAF? Wikipedia says the flesh tastes like caramel custard, so now my life won’t be complete until I’ve eaten one.

It does! it does! It’s good. We need a response, please.

I’d also seen these pop up at the market, just assumed it was a weird local citrus variety, of which there are many. It obviously is not, will be interesting to try one.

Talking about strange fruit, the ‘apple banana’ caught my eye yesterday. It’s a banana but with apple colouring, as in RED, no idea what it tastes like. It’s probably been around ages but I never paid attention to it before.

I’m in Taidong at the moment, shi-jia is in season now, I’ll keep my eye out for any more tropical wonders!

I tried those at Sun Moon Lake; they taste the same as the yellow ones.

I don’t have any personal knowledge of these things, and I don’t know Chinese, so I can’t guarantee the accuracy of the information below:

It appears that someone in Zhonghe, in New Taipei City, has this fruit:
facebook.com/farm.fruits
facebook.com/media/set/?set … 205&type=1

Someone appears to be selling it in Taichung:
blog.xuite.net/blueshk/happy/62852290

Someone claiming to have an organic farm in Yunlin County also claims to be growing this fruit:
sites.google.com/site/drchenorg … ng-jin-guo

Someone in Kaohsiung County appears to have this fruit:
ssgarden-tw.com/en/enmain.htm

I don’t know Chinese, but I got the impression (which could be wrong) from googling that you might be able to just buy it at a fruit stand.

[quote=“finley”]Where have you guys been buying your 黃金果? Are they in season again? I saw them in a fruit shop last year (and I now have a six-inch high tree :slight_smile: ) but haven’t seen them since. They’re really good. Apparently, they’re grown locally, not imported.

Icon: Ice Cream bean seeds have very short viability (a few days), so in practice it’s impossible to import them. I think it’s quite hard to get an import license for the actual trees, but maybe Pingdong is planning to give it a try.[/quote]

Well, the Taiwanese missions have been importing veggies and fruits, even fish species from Central America -a certain kind of tilapia- to Taiwan for cultivation. It has met with moderate success. As usual, they produce them under controlled environments then give them to farmers for commercial purposes. That is how we get chayotes here.

However, due to a certain fungus, we may never see plantains in Taiwan. :cry:

Charlie Jack: sounds like they grow best Down South. I notice Dr Chen is selling in modest quantities (4kg) and fruit is available now … I’m toying with the idea of donning a wifebeater and blue flipflops and selling a tray of them off the back of my scooter.

So this is no reference to the Billie Holiday song? Good.

That might work! This could be one of those “latest thing” things.

I also thought of that song when I first saw the thread title. That, and the Cream song “Strange Brew.”

Double post, sorry.

They had them in Yongchun evening market yesterday at a fruit stall right in the middle… sorry can’t be more specific; it’s a zoo there.

I think we got ours in Taizhong, Petrichor. I hope you enjoy them. The only thing to remember is that you have to eat them when they are ripe, otherwise they make your lips stick together because of its high latex content. The red/pink bananas are also not very palatable before they are ripe (further down the thread).

[quote=“finley”]Where have you guys been buying your 黃金果? Are they in season again? I saw them in a fruit shop last year (and I now have a six-inch high tree :slight_smile: ) but haven’t seen them since. They’re really good. Apparently, they’re grown locally, not imported.

Icon: Ice Cream bean seeds have very short viability (a few days), so in practice it’s impossible to import them. I think it’s quite hard to get an import license for the actual trees, but maybe Pingdong is planning to give it a try.[/quote]

I had the same thing in mind, Finley, but according to the Wikipedia article “It will grow an average of 33 feet (10 m) high, and can grow as high as 116 feet (35 m) under good conditions”. Even at 10 m, it would be a job and a half to prune. :unamused:

I believe this is why we need to bring back child labour. You can attach them to a rope and pulley and dangle them in the appropriate places.

From subsequent posts, it does indeed sound like abiu are being exclusively sold down south :cry:

My friend tells me these are now available here in Taiwan, fresh from Thailand:

Rambutan! I see them here sometimes.