Strange observations from the front

After much thought, I’ve run across some rather strange truths that seem to play out year after year:

1. After major holidays, the average IQ of a student drops 24.6 points.
  2. Kids start flatulating in class more frequently upon entering Jr. High School. Is there a class the first year “Flatulation 101” or is this just a way for the guys to tell a girl they like 'em?
  3. Not all “blondes” have blonde hair, I have a number of them who look strangely Chinese :shock: .
  4. I am now referring to Tuesdays as “Forest Gump Day.” I have at least a half dozen budding Gumps. Absolute sweethearts, but nearly biologically brain dead.
  5. (a question) What exactly were they DOING that as soon as someone spots me, the entire class starts to whisper “The teacher :smiling_imp: is coming!”
  6. (another question) Why is it that my Teacher’s Book envariably disapears at the precise moment I need it to start a quiz, then mysteriously reappears at the start of the NEXT class? (BRANDON!!!)
  7. With enough patience, repetition, and effort, even Forest Gump can learn rudimentary English.
  8. There are certain classes that one should NOT leave one’s cup of tea unattended if one expects to drink it later in that class.
  9. The lowest level kids will envariably not show up on exam days. A call to the parents usually results in a “he/she’s sick” “his/her mother is sick” “his/her dog is sick” or “his/her salamander is in heat” answer.
  10. Sad but true (and the only serious statement/question here), the laziest students are often the brightest.

I don’t know about junior high being the years of, erm… turbulence. My first year in Taiwan, I was reading a story to a group of three-year-olds and one little adorable girl (wearing a little frilly white dress and a matching white headband no less) lifted up one daintily crossed leg and made a sound that would make an elephant blush.

That’s all it took to end circle time that afternoon.

What abou the one little guy (four years old) who from time to time goes about sniffing crotches of everyone and pronouncing them tsau tsau (stinky in Taiwanese) and doing this with great pride??? He is also a champion in the flatulence (sp?) department.

Getting back on topic, all my adults so far seem to have come back with no clear recollection of how to speak English. People that wouldn’t let me end the speaking exercise three weeks ago are now describing their New Year thus:

“Er… I…go…she… eh … my granmutha’s house… too boring.” Yes, this is an IELTS prep class for people that are going to study overseas later this year!

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I don’t know about junior high being the years of, erm… turbulence. My first year in Taiwan, I was reading a story to a group of three-year-olds and one little adorable girl (wearing a little frilly white dress and a matching white headband no less) lifted up one daintily crossed leg and made a sound that would make an elephant blush.

That’s all it took to end circle time that afternoon.[/quote]

Why can I picutre this in technicolor with 6 channek dolby sound :shock: :laughing:?

I can honestly say that this is one of the many things I haven’t seen in my classes. Good to know that I still have something to look forward to :shock: :laughing:.

I think my first year provided some interesting circle times…like the boy who would throw open the door after coming back from the toilet with his pants around his ankles right in the middle of a story.
One of the first things you learn to understand of Taiwanese toddler talk is “niao niao”. They’re a little less ashamed to include some body language to reinforce the meaning…and in case you still don’t get it…

:shock:

I’ve also noticed something with children and CNY this week…my youngest students who barely recalled colors and numbers in English (but can in Chinese so I know it’s not a cognitive thing) come back and have conversations with me, albeit of things like “My mommy car ha’ bee’ bee’” (translated as “My mother’s car has a horn”), while we are covering pressing issues like how Mr. Brown can moo (and go buzz-buzz, hoo-hoo, tick-tock, slurp, and boom) while my older, more fluent ones (meaning 6 years old) have completely forgotten the language, let alone the whole deal with whether ‘me turn’ or ‘my turn’ is correct…all in the span of just two weeks (all spent in Taiwan, no less).