Strange task appears when closing down WindowsXP

Recently it takes ages for my computer to shutdown after pressing the (red) button. The harddisk will rotate heavily and after a long while a window will appear and say closing task “l4D” (L4D or I4D, not sure).
I can press “End (task)” to speed it up but usually I leave Windows to finish it.
There is no such task however visible in the task manager during normal use (like right now) - so I wonder what the heck this is about.

:?:

d/l an antivirus and spyware checker. That might be your problem

Last night the task was called “794” but I didn’t see any before closing down!?

Have an effective anti-virus program installed, may try a spyware checker, too. Thanks!

Try this online virus scan:
housecall.trendmicro.com/houseca … t_corp.asp

and then head over to lavasoft.de and download ad-aware.

Do update your Windows XP, Ad-aware, and antivirus software often. I have an obsessive compulsive disorder on this and try to do it twice a week.

Hope its nothing serious,
Okami

Okami’s right…
or let me take a look at it…

ax

I did an online scan for spyware and found a few (which were also removed by the same SW). :slight_smile:

Will install a spyware blocker in addition to the pop-upblocker and virus scanner I already have.

Thanks to all of you!

Oh, and Ad-Aware found 200 objects which I all removed, too.
But it seems some are creeping back in once I surf the net,
I guess that means the blocker isn’t that effective actually …

d/l BPS spyware remover from www.bulletproofsoft.com

it is free for first 7 days. remove all P2P applications.

[quote=“Rascal”]Oh, and Ad-Aware found 200 objects which I all removed, too.
But it seems some are creeping back in once I surf the net,
I guess that means the blocker isn’t that effective actually …[/quote]

I had this problem, too, Rascal, but remember the free Ad-Aware package only removes spyware after it has infected your system. You need the paid version for active protection. An alternative free solution is CookieWall (analogx.com/contents/downloa … cookie.htm).

This is a great piece of software that will block all or selected cookies. You can configure it to warn you each time a cookie is sent, and then choose to discard it or save it, so you can keep cookies from your favourite sites and have it discard all the others. Since running this, Ad-Aware no longer detects any spyware on my system. It only supports IE though.

security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en

you might want to try this software. it has some prevention features too.

Kenneth