Strategies for Dealing With Fear

IMO you only fear things that you don’t control or understand. If one is able to learn something about that subject he fears and could get some understanding of it he won’t fear it as much since he’d understand it more.
The subject of death as discussed in this thread is a good example of something one is utterly mysterious about, however if you can learn something about it that would suit your reality and you could accept, you’ll fear it less.
In my observation you only worry about something you don’t have a reasonable level of control. So, I try to learn as much as I can about those things and take control over it to some degree and that helps me.

I fear a lot of things. I think I hate a lot of things, but I know we only hate what we fear. One thing that keeps me going is I always tell myself when I die, I want to have a reeeal short “I shoulda/coulda/wish I woulda…” list. You’re NEVER too old to jump in puddles. You’re NEVER too old to pull pranks on your friends. Growing older doesn’t mean your options become limited. If anything, you should make up for things you never did when you were much younger!

Go and have a look at the Flicka group pics. I put some up. Check some of the captions and don’t get back to me.

I have a cunning plan as Baldrick says. If and when I get to 80 years old I want to drink a bottle of whisky a day, smoke cigars all day, shoot all the stuff I’ve never tried into my veins every day (never tried anything btw), have wild sex all day and gamble as much as possible with stupid amounts of my childrens inheritance while travelling around the world constantly and eat as much junk food each day as will stay down.

Health fears: see a doctor before there’s a problem that can’t be remedied…it’s called a check-up

financial well being fears: start an IRA and buy good life/health insurance

relationships: live it like you can lose it at any time; miss people when they’re around you so that you can show them how much you care and then won’t regret it when they are not around

Honestly, I don’t fear much personally. Death is the worst that can happen to any man woman or child. Yet, death is the one experience that cannot be truly experienced as one is caught up in it. One can only experience the death of another. I watched my father in law die. It was pathetic and sad, and it scared the shit out of him.

I do not fear the death or my son or wife or friends and family as I know it will happen one day. And I believe I am strong enough to deal with it. I only hope that should they go before me, it is fast and without pain.

What can I say? I’m an existential prick… :sunglasses:

Dude,

I want to party with you…again. :sunglasses:

I only half-agree with this. Worries, yes of course, I would say everyone has them. Fear, I’m not so sure. I can’t think of anything that I’m actually afraid of, I really can’t – unless you’re talking about things like having to walk past a gang of drunken skinheads in a dark alley, or hand-jamming up a long crack unroped and running out of options, but that’s not the kind of things you’re talking about is it?
Fear of dying? Of failure? Losing a child? Nah, not me. I’ve only died once but I don’t remember being afraid at the time. Failure? Done that, and it 'aint frightening. Losing a kid? Done that too. Devastating? Sure. Frightening? No.

As for worrying about things, well, you can either worry about them or not. Doesn’t make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of what’s worrying you, in my experience, so what’s the point?

Can you back the truck up and expand on that (if you don’t mind) or have you done so elsewhere here?

Just interested because I was back some 5 years ago from the recently almost deceased.

No that doesn’t sound like some zen horseshit, but rather a self actualized man who is on a mission. YOu rock :bravo:

Got caught in an avalanche, buried, and had to be jump-started two or three times. No vital signs for seven minutes or something like that. Hasn’t affected affected affected affected affected me in the slightest. :wink:

I pretty much agree with Sandman. I don’t really have any fears, and the worries - they usually disappear after a nights sleep.

You wanted the methods for dealing with fears. Well maybe people without much in the way of fears don’t realy have methods. Maybe it’s more something the other people, the ones with the fears, are doing wrong. Sorry if that’s not much help.

But what’s to be afraid of, if nothing can happen? I don’t believe in an afterlife either, but I don’t really care (except for about what would happen to my wife) if I die next week or in 50 years. If I’m dead I certainly won’t be regretting not living longer.

Brian

I’m afraid of confronting my fears. :s

Assuming snow in Europe or the states and not a Taiwanese mountain slide. Doubt you’d be coming out of that rock and dirt weight and doubly doubt they would have jump starting equipment.

A belated welcome back, Sandman :notworthy:

I used to be scared of:

Scorpions
Dead spiders
Ghosts
Failiure
My imagination

Now all I have is a mild sense of distaste for these things, however dead spiders get removed immediately because they look disgusting.

I worry from time to time, but usually about other people than about myself because I have no control what may happen to them.
One thing that changed my outlook on life was when my father had a traffic accident - he got wiped out by a Land Rover one day and he was in a coma for nearly a year. I was only 16 at the time, but I decided I would never be afraid of anything ever again.

I am of the belief that you can control every situation you encounter and minimise it’s effects. From daily long term challenges like finances, health and employment to spur of the moment things like having a serial killer in your bedroom, having a car accident or getting lost somewhere. It’s just a question of making the right decision and remaining alert.

I am in ultimate control of what happens to me. There is no God.

External things may change the course of my life but as long as I make the right decisions at the right time I trust that I can come out of whatever life throws at me smelling of roses.

I’ve proved this many times over during the past 10 years.

Aonach Eagach in Glencoe, Scotland. Fell through the cornice at the bottom centre, tumbled for about 300 feet, and was buried by the avalanche that came down on top of me. I was a lucky laddie that day.

Er … that seems pretty unlucky to me, sandman! What’s a bad day like for you?

You lucky, luckly bastard. Beautiful spot to have all that happen.

I was in my car and got hit by a tree at high speed then flown in a helicopter and woke up a day and multiple operations later.

Believe me, I was lucky. The two climbing partners roped with me both died that day.

Terrible thing to happen.

Anyway, point being that I was totally unafraid at the time (I remained conscious throughout the fall and for nearly half and hour after being buried.) I knew I was going to die and didn’t expect to be rescued – our two other climbing partners were 300 feet above us clinging to the ridge in whiteout blizzard conditions and in no position to provide any help.
Call it stupid, call it foolhardy, call it lack of imagination, but nothing has really frightened me since that day.

Apologies, sandman. Must have been a terrible experience for you.