Strava newest "feature"

A pivotal reason that most of us use the app is not going to appear as a free feature anymore!

Strava previously split up the app into different tiers of subscriptions, so you’re not stuck with the ol Strava Premium option.

Personally, I don’t look at the leader board of segments after every ride, but if I have made an effort on certain segments, I still like to see how I stack up against my friends and cycling groups. I will see how big of an impact it is on my training and if there’s a gap, I may take the plunge and throw money at Strava. It’s a good app and it will be towards a good cause.

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

I just found out about it. There’s a ‘segment’ on one of my rides and the leaderboard is taken up by people who’re avg. 84km/hr. Makes me wonder if I’m a slug or they’re cheating. I like it to see how I do ride to ride though.

2 Likes

I don’t use it enough to pay for it but think it’s a reasonable plan. I was surprised to find out they haven’t managed to be profitable yet.

1 Like

Unless that’s a downhill segment…that’s definitely a vehicle. You can flag them to get them off the leaderboard.

“This change will mean that from 6pm this evening Strava users must subscribe to view the overall leaderboard, to compare a segment result with any other user, to compare previous efforts or to enjoy segment analysis.”

I see no change yet. I find comparing to previous efforts the most useful. Some days my perceived effort is way off of my actual time on a segment. And then when I think about it, I can pinpoint where the problem was- went too hard at the beginning, the wind at the top, not taking advantage of leveling off portions for free time, etc.

So it will be sad to see this go. I’m not sure if I’ll pay for things.

The leadership boards are fun and interesting, but they don’t really help me. They maybe even depress me when I see that I take around double the time as the best on some famous segments, like on that 10k Xiwan Road segment.

Edit: I see not quite double. 49 minutes for me versus 30 for the KOM.

3 Likes

Is the current free Strava version enough to get started with finding routes, tracking while riding, recording data including weekly/monthly/etc. summaries?

Currently just using Google Fit. Only basic route planning and daily distance/time records but not really and summaries. Note: Cycle tracking in Google Fit is not for bicycle tracking.

So far I’ve just used the free version.

Not bad. You can’t make routes with the current set-up, but you can find segments and then figure out how to string them together. The heat map is also useful. If I did more “new” routes this would be a mild problem for me, although there are ways around it (setting up a GPX track in Google or whatever, then exporting it to a different app on my watch, etc.).

Absolutely. Does a great job of this, although now I use an app called WorkOutDoors on my Apple Watch, and export that to Strava later. (Reason: Strava’s display on an Apple Watch is minimalist to a fault; WorkOutDoors can give you much more information during the ride.)

I just looked. Hey, there’s more of it than I realized! Yes, in the training calendar you can see monthly or weekly records of accumulated hours, distance, and activities.

The main thing I miss from what free-Strava used to have is segment comparison: I could easily see all my times for a segment. Now, at the free level, I can see my personal best and most recent time on my iPhone (computer has more limited information), but I can’t see all my times.

If you’ve actually got a bike computer mounted on your handlebars, paid-Strava can give you a ton more (I think “live” comparisons for how your speed is on a segment, which could push you to beat previous times; directions) - but since I’m using a watch, or my phone in a jersey pocket, those options aren’t currently all that appealing to me.

2 Likes

I added the app.

Looks like summaries are only weekly under free version. Maybe time for me to brush up on Excel or Sheets.

No routes as you said.

I can see monthly and yearly summaries under Training / Training Calendar (free tier).

The web version will give you the option of your weekly and monthly time/distance/elev gain in your profile.

For map routing, you can try Komoot or MapMyRide to draw your route.

1 Like

Do any of you ever encounter Strava stopping recording mid-ride? When I go on a longish ride (four hours plus), Strava often shuts down on me. I suspect it’s the power running low in my phone (it can happen at around 30%), but I don’t really want to carry the extra weight of a battery pack, especially on a long ride.

2 Likes

Time to invest in a cycling computer!

If your rides are getting longer and you are heading into uncharted territory, you want to save battery on your phone for emergencies.

4 Likes

A cycling computer comes with its own app, right? Hate to see all my Strava achievements over the years rendered null and void.

Nowadays, most, if not all, have synchronisation with Strava. They upload new activities to your account when connected to the internet.

3 Likes

Yes they do. In Garmin’s case, you actually upload to the Garmin app and then it syncs to Strava. Funny thing is, Garmin’s app provides so much more data analysis than Strava, but Strava wins in the social aspect, despite Garmin also having segments.

2 Likes

Any of you having trouble logging into Strava? I’ve always logged in via Facebook, but now it doesn’t allow me to. It keeps going back to the same log in page when I hit “continue on Facebook.” Is Strava hinting that I should become a paying member?

1 Like

No issues here as just now, logging in with Google.

2 Likes

I tried it again just now and I successfully logged in! Don’t know what was wrong before. I just hope it won’t happen again when I go on my next ride.

1 Like

A hiking friend passed on an obvious solution to the power issue recently: switch to flight mode/aeroplane mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if the flight mode would prevent Strava’s GPS from working properly. :thinking: