Stray dog with Mange in Linkou

Nov. 25, I start to move to taofang at the same place.
Weather are not getting friendlier for us, as we can’t always go out to walk.

Dec. early, daily vet visit make a new problem, his knees shown bad ulcer because of bandage. Leg still swollen if he didn’t move at all. Swollen legs also oozing water. Hock joints getting better though.
If he moves, the knee ulcer becomes larger and larger.
I start to give him apple cider vinegar (drink and spray to his skin). Skin odor changed. I could describe the smell like when you burn little bugs.

Dec. 16, vet visit. Skin becomes odorless (and better in my opinion). Vet said he have no idea what happen. If it demodex, it should be gone long time ago. He shown an article about Color Dilution Alopecia. I feel that’s not the case, but nevertheless, his article give me reference to a disease called Cushing’s disease. Cushing’s attacking under the cover of demodectic or other skin disease. The symptoms of Cushing’s are very similar with Xiao Hei symptoms. No cure for Cushing’s, apparently.

Later at night, Landlord (after report from a local flatmate) said that I should let the dog go or I will be thrown from the house. I choose the latter after a LINE argument (which I know I can’t won anyway).

Dec. 17, early morning, Xiao Hei become sleepless all night and crying in pain. I could understand why the flatmate complained. I feel Xiao Hei won’t make it, stray dogs aren’t known to show pain. Also his body becomes very cold. I talk to the boss’ wife and said we might need to euthanize Xiao Hei for his own good. She don’t buy and want to put Xiao Hei back to the greenhouse. We bring Xiao Hei to his original habitat, meeting his herd. He looks happy, and then suddenly he stop walking and after a few minutes, he hardly stand, I hold him with my arms. With this, it is obvious that euthanize is the best option. We bring him to the vet and we put him to rest.

I feel that me, the vet and other people already misdiagnose him badly. I am pretty sure from the beginning that it is ONLY demodectic mange. Apparently, his demodectic mange only a cover for something worse. Not sure if ACV would help him, if I give that earlier, but his skin become much better after ACV. I see even lots of new fur. Pretty sure that ACV can’t fight Cushing’s disease.

Xiao Hei (201x - 17 December 2017)

Dec. late, kicked out from taofang. Still looking for a new place.

1 Like

God bless you, dear Articsquid, you did your best. Now Xiao Hei is in no pain, he is free from the sickness, and you did not prolong his misery but made his few days on this earth the best you could. That does not help much now that you have a little hole left by his paw, but that is a reminder of how much he mattered to you. Thank you for your efforts.

I’m sure Xiao Hei appreciated what you did for him. so your efforts definitely weren’t in vain. He was lucky to have you in his life!