Stray dogs problem

I live in a rural township in the north of Kaohsiung. The problem with stray dogs here is terrible.

They are not only aggressive but leave dog shit everywhere and cause a nuisance on the roads.

Who can I contact about this? I tried to navigate the online system to write a complaint to the city mayor but alas my chinese wasn’t good enough.

Could the foreigner helpline help with this or is this issue too trivial?

Thanks

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]I live in a rural township in the north of Kaohsiung. The problem with stray dogs here is terrible.

They are not only aggressive but leave dog shit everywhere and cause a nuisance on the roads.

Who can I contact about this? I tried to navigate the online system to write a complaint to the city mayor but alas my chinese wasn’t good enough.

Thanks[/quote]

Unfortunately, animal lovers have no problem with stray dogs leaving crap everywhere, attacking people, etc.

If stray dogs attack someone it’s the person’s fault for trespassing the dog’s territory, as far as animal lovers are concerned.

Any plans by the government to catch and cull the stray dog’s population is met with fierce resistance from dog lovers, and no one bothers to spay/neuter them. When someone takes the problem into their own hands (like one foreigner shooting stray cats because the stray cat was harming his animals) he/she gets in trouble.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]I live in a rural township in the north of Kaohsiung. The problem with stray dogs here is terrible.

Thanks[/quote]

Unfortunately, animal lovers have no problem with stray dogs leaving crap everywhere, attacking people, etc.

If stray dogs attack someone it’s the person’s fault for trespassing the dog’s territory, as far as animal lovers are concerned.

Any plans by the government to catch and cull the stray dog’s population is met with fierce resistance from dog lovers, and no one bothers to spay/neuter them. When someone takes the problem into their own hands (like one foreigner shooting stray cats because the stray cat was harming his animals) he/she gets in trouble.[/quote]
:popcorn:

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]…Unfortunately, animal lovers have no problem with stray dogs leaving crap everywhere, attacking people, etc.

Any plans by the government to catch and cull the stray dog’s population is met with fierce resistance from dog lovers, and no one bothers to spay/neuter them. When someone takes the problem into their own hands (like one foreigner shooting stray cats because the stray cat was harming his animals) he/she gets in trouble.[/quote]

Read any thread on stray dog problems and you will always have people agreeing that no one should have to tolerate being attacked by stray dogs.

But the problem is not going to be solved with the methods you want. I just read in the paper that 1.4 million dogs have gone to the pound over the past 10 years and 90% have been killed.

So, with those kinds of numbers we should be free of strays right? Except we aren’t.

As for the rest of your “points”, in Taipei and much of Taipei County (and other areas around Taiwan but I know less about these programs) volunteers feed and take care of strays, especially in the city parks. As a result strays don’t bother people anymore as they are not diseased and starving. Many groups also spay and neuter the dogs so they don’t reproduce. In other words, they are doing what you say they should be, but getting no credit for it.

Everyone agrees it is an intolerable situation. But culling has been tried for 30 years, with unsatisfying results. Compassion and education are the only ways forward.

People put a collar on some and than let them roam free … no troubles for them cleaning shit … but than complain that they are being caught and taken to the dog pound … NO RESPONSIBILITY! :loco:

My son was bitten by a dog that was neither diseased nor starving. It was one of a pack of dogs that we have roaming our local park, and my son’s crime was to walk towards the pack as they were lying dozing in the son. A couple of weeks later the same pack went for a younger child, aged about 6. They pushed him to the ground and were standing around him barking when I and his dad ran over. Thankfully he wasn’t bitten, just terrified. These dogs are breeding (the bitches are clearly lactating).

Unfortunately I don’t have enough Chinese to contact the responsible department myself, but friends have on my behalf. They were told attempts have been made to catch the dogs but it isn’t possible because it’s such a large area. Yet I see these dogs all the time. They’re a blight on a lovely park and the local community’s enjoyment of it. I’ve also seen them go for pet dogs that are being walked there.

On the other hand, there are a lot of rats around here, and if the dogs get killed, what’s going to keep the rats in check?

Aggressive dogs should be removed. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. And yes, not all dogs are being fixed. It’s a big problem.

But most city park dogs now are looked after and are not aggressive. And some of course are not even strays. People often just let their dogs roam around.

But again, 1.4 million dogs captured over a ten year period and still they are everywhere. What do you suggest? Rinse and repeat is all we ever hear on these boards. But you know the definition of insanity right? It’s doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

they should stop selling dogs in the pet shops, cause mostly these dogs end up abandoned somewhere. What actually happens to dogs in the pet shops nobody buys? I just saw a really beautiful German Sheppard puppy which was already quite big and I was wondering what will happen to the puppy as it is too big for Taiwanese already, they only want cute puppies right?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Aggressive dogs should be removed. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. And yes, not all dogs are being fixed. It’s a big problem.

But most city park dogs now are looked after and are not aggressive. And some of course are not even strays. People often just let their dogs roam around.

But again, 1.4 million dogs captured over a ten year period and still they are everywhere. What do you suggest? Rinse and repeat is all we ever hear on these boards. But you know the definition of insanity right? It’s doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.[/quote]

Now that’s a problem too … most people prefer male dogs and don’t have them ‘snipped’ … big breeding problem.

Selling dogs and cats in pet stores isn’t allowed anymore in Belgium since a year or so … neither can you sell it on markets.

Ones so often dogs run away when people walk them unleashed … I hate it when people do that, they always harass my dogs … because dogs think of themselves that they are cute when wearing doggy shoes and a having had a haircut … :doh:

I would suggest the feral cat population would help with that…BUT.…they are too well-fed by the locals to give a damn about catching and killing the rats.

Here we go again. Many countries do not have a significant stray animal problem because, very simply, the laws are enforced.

That is it. End of discussion ( yeah right :laughing: ).

Edit: anyone ever see stray dogs around Taipei 101?

Yes.

The cure to the stray dog problem is quite easy, the stray dogs need to be introduced into the food chain. work it, make dog a delicacy. get the local restaurants really pushing it. even McDonald. (that shouldn’t be too hard to do, there food already tastes like stray dog) pretty soon the locals will be beating the bushes to catch the strays and put them on the diner table. then we will have a shortage of the said stray dog, the gov will get involved with a fancy breading program to reintroduce the stray mutt back.

Before you pee down both legs. I AM KIDDING

the only cure is education and responsibility.
or bacon grease and sponges.

This issue has been discussed over and over again.

The reason why there are stray dogs is very simple. The people like cute. They get their cute puppy and lose interest when the puppy grows too big. Getting rid of uncute dogs is easy and police has more pressing matters to deal with. So people just “set them free” somewhere.

Here are two solutions.

1. Chip in every dog, linked to the ID of its owner. Stiff penalties for the owner when dog is found on street.
  2. Only allowing the selling of small dogs. Those toy dogs stay cute and are abandoned far less than mid-sized or big dogs. Selling of bigger dogs only when grown up or only to people with certain needs (guard dogs, dogs for the blind, etc.)
  3. Crackdown on all dog breeders and pet shop owners who are not complying.

Nice typo. :laughing:

I would suggest the feral cat population would help with that…BUT.…they are too well-fed by the locals to give a damn about catching and killing the rats.[/quote]

I think a rat could put up a pretty good fight against a cat. My cat in the UK managed to kill two but they were babies (then again, she didn’t have any teeth).

What is it with the cats round here? They’re all such scaredy cats. In the UK most cats will stop for a tickle and a stroke, here they’re terrified if you approach them. I’m getting cat withdrawal syndrome.

I went to a small Island near Jakarta and there are hundreds of cats and thousands of rats. However the cats were all so skinny and rats just walked past them in the night, the cats were all scared… :loco:

in my neighborood, stray cats problem is solved by stray dogs (witnessed it myself) I wish they’d take care of the rats instead.
(on the other hand, rats take care of the cockroaches !)