Street performers and the loops they have to jump through

Were you guys aware of the rigorous “test” that the street performers go through? I always knew they needed to have a license in order to perform, but 2 minutes to show your talent with a 13% chance of “passing” to make around 10,000NT a day.

I think it’s good money, but when you’re a group act, that 10k/day has to be split between everyone.

I think it’s good that they need a license and there’s some regulation, but the process of passing the test from the Lu guy sounds pretty ridiculous. At least America’s Got Talent and shows alike have the buzzer.

What do you guys think?

sounds like that head judge is a massive dick

seems like quite a contrast with the street vendors that have a lot less regulations. anyway i don’t have a problem with it. theres nothing more irritating for me than street performers. if it was easy i can only imagine a bunch of back packer losers begging for scraps too. thankful i don’t need to see that here.

Yes, completely agree. I do like how they regulate how far each act has to be from each other and you have to apply for certain spots. Despite it kind of deriving from the idea of how street performers can happen everywhere and at any moment, it’s still good because some of these people count on their performances to eat.

The most entertaining street performer that I’ve seen were called
紅鼻子劇團 and despite their act not being too difficult, it was still very entertaining to watch.

Last weekend I saw a guy entertaining kids with a show in a public place. He was pretty good. Soon he had a crowd watching him. The plaza was big and it was not obstructing anything. It was next to a market road so a lot of people passing.
Then an older guy in a hi-vis-vest and a clipboard appeared and interrupted his show. They ware discussing for a bit. Apparently the entertainer did not get a permission for his show. He was allowed to continue and the old guy left. This was in a smaller coastal city (鹿港鎮).

Is this really so heavily regulated? There is lack of enforcement of so many things, so this surprised me a bit. :man_shrugging:

I’ve always wanted to be a beggar. Is there a license for that? Do I have to audition, showing how I can beat my head against the ground and grunt like an animal? (I have a friend who does special effects, who can make me look all deformed and shit.)

1 Like